Féminine outfit but not skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Féminine outfit but not skirt

Post by kingfish »

My thoughts on leggings:

They are specifically meant to display the outline of the legs, hips, waist, glutes and "that region" without violating the rules of decency.

Mechanically, I see them as a derivative of the long-time classic known to the ballet scene as tights, which have been considered decent for a time longer than I care to guess.

Personally, I don't get the same rise looking at a masculine shape on the lower half of my body that I do when looking at elegant curves of a similar female visage. But then again, I am a heterosexual male. When in leggings, I do notice positive reactions from the ladies that lead me to think that they are experiencing a similar rise looking at me. It includes, looks, compliments, and friendlier interactions. As an overweight middle aged man, that really says something.

As for taking care of business when in them, I've always found them to be stretchy enough that I can get the needed appendage pointed at the urinal by pulling the waist down no differently than when wearing sweat pants. If there's any doubt, trip to the stall gets warranted where things can get pulled farther down and the added privacy allows better straightening of things after the deed is done.

Regarding compatible undergarments, it's a pretty solid bet that boxers don't really make it. The ballet crowd have put a significant amount of R&D into their own version of the brief, called the dance belt. And it is like a cross between a brassiere and a speedo. It smooths out and supports areas that renders even the thinnest spandex a "G" rating (acceptable for general audiences). And if you want to leave next to no guessing on the shape of the glutes, they even have a thong option.
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

partlyscot wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm I have a problem with the term "feminine"
For me that is meaning "every clothes which express the wearer's feminity, whatever his or her gender is"
Don't hesitate to correct me as I am afraid my written English is as poor as my spoken one! 😭
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

Nothing to do with leggings, I bought large and fluid pants. Very comfortable.

I need heels with otherwise it's dragging on the floor
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have Jeans and Wide-leg knit palazzo pants that require that I wear heels to keep them off the floor.
I think it's an interesting look especially if you are going out dancing or some other place where you will be standing quite a bit.
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

Who is wearing jumpsuits?

I wanted to buy this Guess one, but was unable to close the zipper in the back alone😣. The sales girl tells me that she have the same problem. She ask her boyfriend for help when needed!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 amWho is wearing jumpsuits?
I've got one I wear occasionally on weekends. I enjoy it well enough, but using the loo represents a large expenditure of effort.
I wanted to buy this Guess one, but was unable to close the zipper in the back alone😣. The sales girl tells me that she have the same problem. She ask her boyfriend for help when needed!
How does she get out of it in a hurry? :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 am Who is wearing jumpsuits?
Overalls are bad enough to get in and out of and I only wear them when I need to. I have even thought of screwing a couple of inverted wool bale hooks to the wall to assist in getting the damn things off my shoulders. I wouldn't wear something like that for fun or fashion.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

denimini wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 am
Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 am Who is wearing jumpsuits?
Overalls are bad enough to get in and out of and I only wear them when I need to. I have even thought of screwing a couple of inverted wool bale hooks to the wall to assist in getting the damn things off my shoulders. I wouldn't wear something like that for fun or fashion.
I actually would like an overall skirt. That would fix all the restroom issues.
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

Sorry for my poor understanding, what is an overall skirt? A dress?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm Sorry for my poor understanding, what is an overall skirt? A dress?
Overall is not a skirt or dress !

Overalls - jumpsuit - pilot outfit - all the same architecture of one piece clothing.
A baby wears one and would have ample help in getting dressed into and out of.
A shorter leg version is called a romper playsuit or onesie -
overalls jumpsuits are step into twin stove pipes (legs) and contortionist fit the arms into the sleeves
and zip or button the front.
The opening is in the front for ease of getting dressed.
Back closing is for the more fashionable straight jacket effect.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm Sorry for my poor understanding, what is an overall skirt? A dress?
Hope,
I think he was talking about a garment that does not currently exist.
I believe it would have the top of a jump suit and the bottom would be a skirt, It would close in the front and zip all the way to the bottom or hem of the skirt.

Might not be a bad idea!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Hope,
I think he was talking about a garment that does not currently exist.
I believe it would have the top of a jump suit and the bottom would be a skirt, It would close in the front and zip all the way to the bottom or hem of the skirt.

Might not be a bad idea!

Fred
I think Hope was right. And of course a dress is not a bad idea. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hope wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pmSorry for my poor understanding, what is an overall skirt? A dress?
In the coarsest sense, it might be considered a skirt with an upper part in the style of what are commonly called "bib overalls" (aka "hog-washers") in the USA. This style is, in essence, a dress, but one with an abbreviated top portion that would not work on a woman who wasn't wearing another layer under the "dress".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Just put "denim bib overall skirt" in your favorite search engine, choose images, and you can see many examples.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

From what I have seen in the shops here - these are skirts and they fit on your waits/hips as per normal skirts. The shoulder straps and bib part are adjustable to suit your upper body length but really aren't functional in terms of supporting your skirt. The top part is just a play on a denim skirt as a variation of a theme.

cheers
NZF