High Heel Sneakers

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

High Heel Sneakers

Post by Daryl » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 am

I got these sneakers a few days ago and love them. They conceal the fact that I am wearing heels and otherwise feel a lot like ordinary runners.

https://www.additionelle.com/en/wide-we ... olor=Black
(The advertised "1 inch" is erroneous. They are really 2 inches.)

Visible high heels remain iconically feminine. I don't always want that in the minds of the people I interact with, but I am very desirous of having my heels lifted, for comfort reasons.

My first comfort reason is that it goes towards reducing my knee pain substantially. (yeah, go figure)

My second comfort reason is that during my excursion into high-heel-land from last winter, and especially this summer, my legs and feet have so much adapted to high-heeled shoes it's actually quite uncomfortable to go all the way down to flat. (Seriously; I even make sure I put heels on just to stand and cook or do the dishes, and always when doing any significant amount of walking.) The 2 inch heel seems a happy midpoint between the 3.5 inch sandals I've worn most of the summer and flat shoes. 2 inches is also the height of the boots I wore all winter.

If I'd discovered these sneakers at the beginning of the summer, I might not have gone on the high-heel adventure at all, so in a sense I am glad that I did not, because that adventure has been so much fun. With the discovery of these sneakers, my "feminine" heels are apt to be relegated more to special occasions than to daily wear, and that's okay. I am probably moving back into masculine norms more anyway, but I do appreciate that it is now optional for me to do so.

I never had a corn on my foot until my heels went up to 3 inches and more, so I am hoping these sneakers will be good for corn prevention too.

The worst thing about these sneakers so far is the merely decorative metallic zipper. Why do clothes made for women always have silly superfluous additions like that? If it's a design thing then make the 2nd zipper redundant, at least. It's like all you have to do to make something a "women's" item is glue some sparkles or bows or something on a man's item. Dumb.
Daryl...

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 am

Daryl wrote: My second comfort reason is that during my excursion into high-heel-land from last winter, and especially this summer, my legs and feet have so much adapted to high-heeled shoes it's actually quite uncomfortable to go all the way down to flat. (Seriously; I even make sure I put heels on just to stand and cook or do the dishes, and always when doing any significant amount of walking.) The 2 inch heel seems a happy midpoint between the 3.5 inch sandals I've worn most of the summer and flat shoes. 2 inches is also the height of the boots I wore all winter.
Hi Darryl,

I wear heels all the time and have done for a decade and a half.
Almost 10 years ago I hurt my foot - when I stepped out of my heels at the end of the day and bang damaged my plantar fatia etc.
There are a lot of related tendons to this and the link from the buttocks right to the toes along the back of the foot and under the heel to the toes.

It is common to shorten your tendons by wearing high heels a lot - after several years in 4 inch or higher every day I shortened my tendons and damaged my foot, I spent a year in self imposed rehab training etc and kept off heels deliberately to ensure recovery.

I have been back to wearing heels every day since then but I am very careful to stretch my feet when at home, to wear flats at home etc - because you literally can get stuck in high heels - and while some people might think that is ok - it inevitably leads to an injury.

Sounds like your new wedges will be ideal - because some heel is actually proven better - but not too much heel - so those heels will be a keeper! Its a shame they don't make them more inconspicuous like you were saying.

enjoy them. Perhaps get a spare pair?

cheers
NZF

User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN USA

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by r.m.anderson » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 am

The worst thing about these sneakers so far is the merely decorative metallic zipper. Why do clothes made for women always have silly superfluous additions like that? If it's a design thing then make the 2nd zipper redundant, at least. It's like all you have to do to make something a "women's" item is glue some sparkles or bows or something on a man's item. Dumb.

XXXXX

Consider yourself fortunate to have a zipper closure at all - lacing up shoes and more so boots is so passé time and labor intensive unless they are speed laced !
The real zipper is on the inside of ankle instead of the fancy frill one that will betwixt your ability to use it if it were functional.
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am

Just wear pumps! Slip them on and go!

User avatar
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by JeffB1959 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:31 am

Hmm! Interesting! I'd like to try a pair if I could find them in size 13, not an easy task to say the least.

nz: As for heel heights, I rarely wear anything over three inches these days, more for comfort than anything else as I do a lot of walking on my outings.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:39 am

Hiya JeffB
I walk about 5km a day in heels. 4 inch is my average but I routinely wear 5 inch heels. 4 inches is comfy for walking around in.

User avatar
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by JeffB1959 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:55 am

nzfreestyler wrote:Hiya JeffB
I walk about 5km a day in heels. 4 inch is my average but I routinely wear 5 inch heels. 4 inches is comfy for walking around in.
Had to check a metric conversion app, and that comes out to a little over 3 miles. Most impressive. With fall on the way here, that would be a good time to transition from sandals to pumps, especially now that I'm wearing dresses more, and do more walking around.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 am

Yeh pumps are a good walking shoe. Sandals I find can cut in on my toes - slingbacks well they are a nuisance for a lot of walking because they end up like a mule. Pumps are the most versatile. Pace out some miles in pumps - thats good for your comfort level and leg strengthening regime... also defines the calves nicely....

User avatar
phathack
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: North Texas, USA

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by phathack » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Daryl wrote:I got these sneakers a few days ago and love them. They conceal the fact that I am wearing heels and otherwise feel a lot like ordinary runners.
I have a set of sneakers that have a 2" wedge in the bottom of the shoe. Other than the shoe looking a little our of proportion compared to other shoes you would not ever think of them as being wedges.

Almost all my heels come from the same source, Long Tall Sally so I'm sure those sneakers came from them probably 7-10 years ago.

User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by Daryl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:24 am

r.m.anderson wrote:Consider yourself fortunate to have a zipper closure at all - lacing up shoes and more so boots is so passé time and labor intensive unless they are speed laced !
The real zipper is on the inside of ankle instead of the fancy frill one that will betwixt your ability to use it if it were functional.
I've been fortunate indeed to find this plus-size women's retailer. The boots I wore all last winter and spring have both laces and zippers and and the 3.5" inch heel sandals I've worn most this summer had both buckles (two) and zippers. These runners make 3 such convenient items. In all of them I can set the size of the lacing or buckles once to optimise fit for my feet then just zip on and zip off after that.
Daryl...

User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by Daryl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:27 am

nzfreestyler wrote:Yeh pumps are a good walking shoe. Sandals I find can cut in on my toes - slingbacks well they are a nuisance for a lot of walking because they end up like a mule. Pumps are the most versatile. Pace out some miles in pumps - thats good for your comfort level and leg strengthening regime... also defines the calves nicely....
I can't find pumps that stay on my feet. The heel flopping down makes them all too hard to walk any distance in. I do wish I could get some that "work" because I love the look and simplicity of pumps.
Daryl...

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 am

Hi Daryl

the trick with a pump is the fit
The heel should not lift as you say.
They should be a snug fit - more so that a normal shoe - but then they are very open and usually quite supple and stretch a lot as you wear them so they should be a nice snug fit when you try them on.

Don't wear platforms because they don't flex at the toe and can exacerbate the heel popping problem. Well thats not an outright rule but a general rule of thumb.

If you want any specific questions answered sing out. I am a high heel guru when it comes to pumps. (if I do say so myself)

cheers
NZF

Ralph
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by Ralph » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 pm

I have never been attracted to heels at all, but the subject of "high heel sneakers" made me think of a style that I am oddly attracted to. Have yet to find them in my size at a price I'm willing to pay, but I find the look strangely appealing.

Image
Ralph!

nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by nzfreestyler » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:55 pm

Now these bad-girls are so my style!

I would so get these if I could find somewhere selling them still! They are from 2015 season.
They are a proper sneaker - leather etc with mesh - but also a nice heel on them !

Image

User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: High Heel Sneakers

Post by Daryl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:54 am

nzfreestyler wrote:Hi Daryl

the trick with a pump is the fit
The heel should not lift as you say.
They should be a snug fit - more so that a normal shoe - but then they are very open and usually quite supple and stretch a lot as you wear them so they should be a nice snug fit when you try them on.

Don't wear platforms because they don't flex at the toe and can exacerbate the heel popping problem. Well thats not an outright rule but a general rule of thumb.

If you want any specific questions answered sing out. I am a high heel guru when it comes to pumps. (if I do say so myself)
Heh, I will. I have concluded that you are right, though, and fit is everything. I have not yet found a woman's shoe that is snug that is not also far too snug in some places. There is a limit to how much foot damage I will endure for the sake of fashion, and also how much I will spend. Shoes under $100 are not usually made of leather, and so they don't really stretch to your feet over time very well.
Daryl...

Post Reply