JUST A SIMPLE DRESS

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

JUST A SIMPLE DRESS

Post by oldsalt1 »

This is my first try with a dress with an uneven hem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: JUST A SIMPLE DRESS

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:
OS1.jpg
This is my first try with a dress with an uneven hem.
I don't know if I like it or not.... :?:

I like the color and the belt but I am not too thrilled about the hem of it. It also needs to be about 3 inches longer for my tastes.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The uneven hem is an interesting contrast to the usual straight hem. :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Sorry, OS1,

Unlike your recent smart skirt outfits posted here, that latest offering just looks like an oversized shirt with nothing to tuck it into.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

It resembles a Kaftan but shorter. I think it might look better without the belt and add some type of long necklace.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Oh well so far 3 no's and one maybe. It looked good on the model :lol: :lol: :lol: , but then again anything would have looked good on the model.

I like the fit of the shirt type top do you think it is the uneven hem that throws it off
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I find it to be a nice, casual shirtdress. As for the uneven hem, I wore something similar on an outing last week:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

oldsalt1 wrote:I like the fit of the shirt type top do you think it is the uneven hem that throws it off
Unfortunately, add me to the "no" column. I saw the picture before I saw the discussion and my first thought was "Nice shirt, but where is the skirt?" Going out and about you'd probably get a lot of "Did he forget his trousers?" confused reactions.

I don't know that it's any one thing. Part of it is the straight cut, which really does make it look like just a slightly over-long shirt that's lacking a bottom to tuck into. Part of it is the length of the skirt. With a fuller, or pleated, skirt of the same length or if this one were just a few inches longer, it would be more obvious that's the bottom half of the garment.

It makes me think of the nightshirts men wore before pyjamas became more popular.

Sorry, mate. I want to be supportive but I also want to give an honest response when asked for my opinion.
Ralph!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Oh well can't win them all . But than again that is a benefit of the café. This is all new to us and a collective opinion is a big help. It was only $17 US so its not a great loss . The only problem is I also have one in black so I may subject the café to another picture.

I figure I am much safer posting photos that getting involved in the political discussions :lol: :lol: :lol:
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

oldsalt1 wrote:Oh well can't win them all . But than again that is a benefit of the café. This is all new to us and a collective opinion is a big help. It was only $17 US so its not a great loss . The only problem is I also have one in black so I may subject the café to another picture.
I think the black color might actually look better.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

oldsalt1 wrote:This is all new to us and a collective opinion is a big help.
Hi Odsalt
It is also the biggest hindrance.
Pay too much attention to "collective opinion" and we can all just go back to wearing trousers like the good little boys that we were raised to be.
If you like, and are comfortable wear it and enjoy.
I have seen females wearing similar and am seriously considering adding one to my Year of the Dress Collection.
Collective opinion will be most welcome and then seriously ignored.
Steve.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

oldsalt1 wrote:This is my first try with a dress with an uneven hem.
not bad but in my opinion its not quite working for you.
what I would suggest is you need to wear a neutral shoe. Your dress is pastels - and some metallic in the belt?
Either way I think a nude pump would be ideal - possibly a netallic might be ok on your feet too - like a gold/silver as they are essentially wearable like a neutral.

I think your black shoes are too contrasty - your outfit is not about your shoes, so I would go for a neutral.
After a black - the next most wardrobe versatile shoe is a neutral/nude.

hope that might help.

NZF
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dan, you can add me to the yes column. It's a shirt dress with the tailed shirt hem. Perfectly acceptable and on a woman no notice would be taken of it. Wear it as you will, nobody would say anything and take what's said here with a pinch of the usual. We are all in uncharted waters and make up the rules as we go along. But then my tastes were never called normal.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

nzfreestyler wrote:
I think your black shoes are too contrasty - your outfit is not about your shoes, so I would go for a neutral.
After a black - the next most wardrobe versatile shoe is a neutral/nude.

hope that might help.

NZF
I had a pair of my heels in mind.. these I think are the same colour as your shirtdress. Wear something on your feet in a pastel like this. Obviously I am a heel addict - so your don't need the heel - but its the colour that is my point.

cheers
NZF
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

nzfreestyler wrote:I had a pair of my heels in mind.. these I think are the same colour as your shirtdress. Wear something on your feet in a pastel like this. Obviously I am a heel addict - so your don't need the heel - but its the colour that is my point.

cheers
NZF
That is a very nice color choice and would go very well with the dress Old Salt is wearing.