men in business skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: men in business skirt

Post by crfriend »

PappaG1119 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pmSo this should answer that question. It is a black dress with a black blazer over top of it.
The blazer over a sheath dress remains, to this day, perhaps the go-to piece for looking sharp -- and you bring that off very well indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
PappaG1119

Post by PappaG1119 »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 am I think the outfit looks terrific . I have a number of them . I posted some on the café if you are interested find the blog "SKIRT SUITS" about 3 pages back in the blog.

What label are the suits . I started with LE SUIT a lot of which I got at Macy's Than I found EVAN PICONE BLACK LABEL . At jc penney's These were especially good because although they were suits you could purchase them as separates meaning you could get say a size 14 dress with a size 16 jacket

I am an accountant I have a couple of clients that I wear these outfits to their office The rest I wear at my home office.

I also like the shoes. The type like you have with the straps make them much easier to walk in.

I see the TAT it looks like Fire Dept were you a volunteer or regular. I have a tat and sometimes I think it ruins the look I am trying to reach when I go sleeveless.
I was a vol firefighter for 15 years and a full-time Emt for 8 years during that time. I was injured in the line of duty which is why I do not do it any longer.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

PappaG1119 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
Dust wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm
PappaG1119 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:15 am This is my take one something men could wear to the office. I hope to be starting a new job soon as a secretary and this is one of my professional outfits.
It's that a dress with a jacket over it, or a skirt and top?
So this should answer that question. It is a black dress with a black blazer over top of it
That's what I suspected. The original picture wasn't clear but the neckline had me thinking it was likely a dress. Thanks for sharing the extra one.

Sleeveless looks are something that's tough to pull off for most ordinary guys. You do it much better than I would.
PappaG1119

Post by PappaG1119 »

Dust wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 am
PappaG1119 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
Dust wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm
It's that a dress with a jacket over it, or a skirt and top?
So this should answer that question. It is a black dress with a black blazer over top of it
That's what I suspected. The original picture wasn't clear but the neckline had me thinking it was likely a dress. Thanks for sharing the extra one.

Sleeveless looks are something that's tough to pull off for most ordinary guys. You do it much better than I would.
Well, It just depends on if you get a dress that fits right. Dresses are something that is a must that you try on.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

For me it's more my hairy shoulders and farmer's tan that keeps me from trying sleeveless stuff. I also don't do women's tops, I don't see the point. Sleeveless in the summer, however, would be nice, if I thought I could pull it off...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Sleeveless dresses and tops are one way to rid yourself of said farmer's tan. I've been fairly successful in eradicating mine. The fur, if you like it, then keep it. In my case, I tend to run too warm with it, even in winter, so I keep the fur above my elbows, on my legs, and my torso cleaned off. So, mainly face, head, and lower arms are where the fur exists.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dust, if you don't see the point in women's tops then you've never really tried them! They are more comfortable, the material is finer and in most cases the fit is better. Men's tops tend to be baggier and courser and a poor fit. I wear women's tops as often as I can get away with and MOH is so much more accepting of them than skirts. Don't dismiss the tops before you've tried them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 am Dust, if you don't see the point in women's tops then you've never really tried them! They are more comfortable, the material is finer and in most cases the fit is better. Men's tops tend to be baggier and courser and a poor fit. I wear women's tops as often as I can get away with and MOH is so much more accepting of them than skirts. Don't dismiss the tops before you've tried them.
I understand the material issues, but I'm still behind the times on clothing fit. I kind of like my baggy stuff, though my wife keeps gifting me more fitted male shirts. I have a ways to go there still.

As for my "don't get it" comment on women's tops, it's more simply that they are either something you could get in men's, it they are designed to show off assets that most guys (myself included) don't have.

Going that route for getting sleeveless shirts the way Mark has with sleeveless polos makes sense, at least if you want sleeveless. I'd like to see more men go sleeveless away from the beach and gym, but for the time being, I'll leave that to others. I don't think I could pull it off well.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have been wearing racerback tank tops and cami's in the summertime to stay cool, pair it with a nice a-line skirt and I'm cool and comfortable all summer long.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

phathack wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:35 am I have been wearing racerback tank tops and cami's in the summertime to stay cool, pair it with a nice a-line skirt and I'm cool and comfortable all summer long.
I like to wear a nylon tank top one-piece swimsuit on really hot days because it absorbs the sweat. One summer I was out doing yardwork and didn't remember to wear sunblock, and I was working so hard I didn't notice how uncomfortable I had become until I took a break.

The resulting burn left a very obviously swimsuit-shaped pattern on my back and shoulders surrounded by bright red that remained for years, long after the red had turned to a lighter brown.
Ralph!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Womens tops are obviously tailored more so but they are not super curvey in that sense.
I find mens tops tend to be like a tent most of the time on my tummy area and waist!.

I wear womens tops almost exclusively (I also have breasts) but putting that aside - regardless of my breasts I would still wear a womans style top because the waistline is tailored. I would recommend it to others for several reasons - the fit will work, the fabrics are better, the choices of styles is larger to suit your sense of style.

A teilored waistline is important if you want your skirt silhouette to appear neater.
Its quite hard to neatly tuck in a big loose garment into a skirt waistband, so the waist is the most important part I think, baggyness is best eliminated in my opinion.

In terms of tailored tops that have some or little stretch:
Obviously most guys don't have breasts to fill the upper portion of the blouse - but you could still wear it, and from my experience the bust darting is usually not creating a lot of 'room for my breasts' -- it is a snug fit overbust - so for a flatter chest it will be slightly loose but not much. A lot of the blouses I wear have a stretch to them too - and they are designed to be quite snug overbust, A few other blouses are very lightweight and sheer too - lovely to wear unlike menswear, they might have pinstripes etc which is great because despite being sheer the pinstripe creates that illusion that stops people seeing you or your underwear clearly through the fabric - despite it being sheer and very cooling to wear. Small polka dots do the same sort of thing.

Other unique styles not in menswear:
Some tops in womenswear are designed to be worn out such as peplums - and they flare out neatly over your skirt waist... again they're designed to do that unlike mens hems on tops etc which usually are not designed for that application.
You can also wear bat wings on your sleeves - or split sleeves etc they are fun look - cap sleeves are great - they would hide guys bigger shoulders and arms I think while still being largely sleeveless - split backs (be glad you don't wear a bra), merino knitwear or fin knitwear is nice with a skirt...
And of course all the guy st6yles are also replicated in womens tops too - just with better dimensions and less bulk.

I'll shut up now
Cheers
NZF
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I attend a weekly group session at my local VA clinic. A couple of weeks ago my case worker who is a big advocate of my skirts suggested that the outfits would look better if I wore ladies tops. Because of the weather its been ladies sweater tops but they do blend in better with the skirts. If you want to see the last 2 outfits take a look at "Wearing a skirt to a clinic "a few blogs down.

Keep the outfits coming NZ they are always nice
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

You can get fitted men's shirts. I tend to buy baggy, but I know guys who are generally in tighter shirts. Some are in good shape and pull it off, others are carrying a spare tire, and look awful.

A more fitted top will often go better with a something fired on your lower half, be it skinny jeans (why did these ever become a thing for guys?!?) or a pencil skirt. Also, a shirt or jacket that makes your chest and shoulders look bigger, will make a lot of guys look top heavy in a slimming skirt or tight pants.

Looser skirts, kilts, and even some fitted skirts will look just fine with standard, or at least more tailored men's shirts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

How about a skirt suit went to visit some clients Saturday to pick up papers for tax work . They have seen me in skirts before so it wasn't much of a shock . But I figured a suit would be nice
Scan_20200315 (5).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That works very well, Dan. Very well indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!