"It wasn't an accident"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

"It wasn't an accident"

Post by partlyscot »

Talking to a customer the other day, she had complimented me on my "put-together" outfit. Rust colored dress shirt, diagonal plaid, wool a-line knee length skirt in earth tones, and brown tights. My response was something along the lines of, "I do try to look coordinated, I don't want people to think I put on a skirt by mistake!"

I was trying to be somewhat humorous, (duh!) But I realized that my often painful decision process for dressing in the morning is because I really don't want to look haphazard, and thus give an unnecessary reason for viewing male skirt wearing in a negative light. I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

Does this resonate with others?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Post by Sinned »

ps, I have said to MOH that when I wear trousers she gets whatever combinations come out of the drawers first. If the colours clash then tuf. But with a skirt I take pains to make sure that the colours co-ordinate.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

When I'm breaking the the gender stereotype, I do like to crush it. Coordinating things goes a long way to doing just that.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote:I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

That describes me precisely from about 18 years ago. I just could not care less. It was a great relief to my SO when I took up skirts and actually developed some sense. Of course this was before her brain died.
kingfish wrote:When I'm breaking the the gender stereotype, I do like to crush it.
I am the same way in that vein as well. If I'm going to put the effort in, I'm going all in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Nobody’s perfect. When it comes to putting together outfits from “the other side of the aisle”, we, as men, are seriously behind the curve, learning things about fashion in our 40’s, 50’s or older that women learned as young girls. That’s why I study hard, experiment and observe what women wear to learn what works and what doesn’t. Just chalk that up to experience.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I believe that when you are out in a skirt you have to coordinate otherwise you will be seen as a total amateur when it comes to dress and give more amo to those opposed to men in skirts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I dress for me. If I dressed for the public's benefit then I'd wear trousers. Some of my outfits may match, others may not, but each day I leave with a skirted outfit on it was to my own personal satisfaction.

My days of hopelessly seeking the public's approval for what I do are just about behind me.

I'm also not on a crusade to bring skirts to men everywhere. I could care less if no other men wear the clothes I wear (most don't share in my style anyway). As long as they don't make it a crime then the rest doesn't matter to me.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I just don't give this a lot of thought.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have to agree with Moon here. I dress for myself and my own comfort, not for the approval of the unwashed public. If I am color coordinated then it was an accident. I do try to look neat and always wear clean clothes so as not to look like a bum. When I wore pants I was the same way. I just want to be happy in my skirts for as long as I have breath in my body and at my age that may not be as long as I want.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

partlyscot wrote:Talking to a customer the other day, she had complimented me on my "put-together" outfit. Rust colored dress shirt, diagonal plaid, wool a-line knee length skirt in earth tones, and brown tights. My response was something along the lines of, "I do try to look coordinated, I don't want people to think I put on a skirt by mistake!"

I was trying to be somewhat humorous, (duh!) But I realized that my often painful decision process for dressing in the morning is because I really don't want to look haphazard, and thus give an unnecessary reason for viewing male skirt wearing in a negative light. I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

Yes somewhat. I do view myself as something of an ambassador for male skirt freedom, but this has limits. It doesn't really make my daily choice of garments any harder or slower but it does condition what is in my wardrobe to a certain extent, and is probably why my kilts rarely get worn anymore.

I think that I consider my "outfit" more than I ever did when I only wore pants simply because it seems a shame to waste the opportunity afforded by the expanded range of expression that skirts have provided me. It's fun to look in the mirror and assess how I react to it and imagine others potentially having the same reaction. Jaunty, serious, elegant, soft, flowy, sharp, businesslike, comfy....the list of adjectives could go on and on. With just pants and shirts it was a much smaller list, pretty much limited to sloppy, neat, and businesslike.

Within the past 6 months I've actually started to care about what my legs and footwear look like too. This has me a little worried that I've fallen off the edge of a cliff (and wondering how far away the bottom might be), but it's still all good, actually.
Daryl...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I have to agree with Moon here. I dress for myself and my own comfort, not for the approval of the unwashed public. If I am color coordinated then it was an accident. I do try to look neat and always wear clean clothes so as not to look like a bum. When I wore pants I was the same way. I just want to be happy in my skirts for as long as I have breath in my body and at my age that may not be as long as I want.

I agree with Moon and Fred.

I want to wear skirts for me and only me.
I don't care for the attention, I long for the day s when kilts and skirts are a non event for all.

I wear them replacing jeans are shorts.

Not for fashion, not for political reasons or sexual reasons. I'm not trying to push the boundaries of feminine fashion.
I find skirts are superior comfort. It drives me crazy that Western men completely pitched skirts.

it's a non event for men to Wear skirts in many other parts of the world.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:I have to agree with Moon here. I dress for myself and my own comfort, not for the approval of the unwashed public. If I am color coordinated then it was an accident. I do try to look neat and always wear clean clothes so as not to look like a bum. When I wore pants I was the same way. I just want to be happy in my skirts for as long as I have breath in my body and at my age that may not be as long as I want.

I agree with Moon and Fred.

I want to wear skirts for me and only me.
I don't care for the attention, I long for the day s when kilts and skirts are a non event for all.

I wear them replacing jeans are shorts.

Not for fashion, not for political reasons or sexual reasons. I'm not trying to push the boundaries of feminine fashion.
I find skirts are superior comfort. It drives me crazy that Western men completely pitched skirts.

it's a non event for men to Wear skirts in many other parts of the world.
I agree, and frankly I am not used to attention. I don't know how to handle neutral or favorable comments, being a naturally shy person, and I almost hope for a negative comment so I can get in the face of some hick bigot.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I too would love it if men's skirts were normal. I do try to look coordinated when I wear a skirt, probably because I know that people will notice me. Maybe a few people will think that it looks OK, and go on to think "why not?", whereas if my outfit clashes with itself everyone will just go "what a mess, what a weirdo". But I still dress for me!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I do worry far more about how pathetic I look when I am dressed in pretty things. I think it is easier to look lame in women's wear.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jjjohanne
You should experiment and find a look that does not generate negative feelings within you.
Regardless of gender clothes should be a pleasure.
Try to relax and enjoy whatever you are wearing.
Steve.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

partlyscot wrote: I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

This totally resonates with me. In pants, I couldnt care less and it shows. But in a skirt or dress I want it to look good.