"It wasn't an accident"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Post by beachlion »

partlyscot wrote:......... I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

Does this resonate with others?
It sounds familiar. I worked at a shipyard and now and then I had to go on board in engine rooms and other technical spaces. So I wore as a norm pants and a simple shirt. On board I had a boiler suit. The pants were just a step up from jeans. Only when I expected customers I would be in a suit (and no crawling on board). I bought black and blue for pants and blue, white or red for shirts. This way everything would go together and I could even dress in complete darkness.

With skirts I think I do a little better but still stick to my color scheme. I don't see the estetics of clothing so there is no incentive to take more care of my way of dressing.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.
This may be the reason why now that the gals have fully embraced trousers to the exclusion of skirts things are starting to look eerily like Mao's China when it comes to apparel. :blue:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Over the years I would save the tags-indicating size, brand, and style-off of twin tubes. When a garment started to show wear and tear, I could replace it without bothering to try on a new garment.

I already knew what the garment was going to look like-it was going to look dull, because they always do.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.
This may be the reason why now that the gals have fully embraced trousers to the exclusion of skirts things are starting to look eerily like Mao's China when it comes to apparel. :blue:

But women's trousers are full of variety. From skin-tight to baggy, any colour, any pattern, all sorts of fabrics, all lengths from short shorts to floor length. They basically took all the variety of skirts and bifurcated them. And why not?

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being thought of as feminine.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

skirtyscot wrote:[

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being though of as feminine.
One gets the impression that a man is locked inside a coffin, and because that coffin is shrinking he will be squeezed out of existence.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grok wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:[

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being though of as feminine.
One gets the impression that a man is locked inside a coffin, and because that coffin is shrinking he will be squeezed out of existence.
"THAT IS WHAT THE WOMEN WANT!"

You hear it on the news media and it is rampant in the TV shows too. Women can do it all so what do they need men for anyway??
:( :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Try a book called "The End of Men" by Hanna Rosin. Thoughtful reading.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Interestingly, I saw a middle school photo of a school social my niece posted of her with 8 friends. The guys in trousers and button shirts could have been taken in the 50’s, as the boys style is exactly the same to my eyes. The girls all looked different in color and style, but the boys were all in the same “uniform”. I know that’s probably not how they usually dress, but I do see that it is similar, just jeans and t shirt normally.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

lazerr wrote:Interestingly, I saw a middle school photo of a school social my niece posted of her with 8 friends. The guys in trousers and button shirts could have been taken in the 50’s, as the boys style is exactly the same to my eyes. The girls all looked different in color and style, but the boys were all in the same “uniform”. I know that’s probably not how they usually dress, but I do see that it is similar, just jeans and t shirt normally.
I don't really know what it will take to break guys or of this sartorial straightjacket, but it's been that way for too long. It's not just the two tubes thing, it's everything. The suit collars get tweaked, the tailoring gets taken it or let out, but overall, no real change.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

Always an idea to get a wider view. Select your sources well and few. I’m up for asking a woman’s view, for dress including glasses. It has helped as to how high or low to wear skirts around the waist. Some are better lower than higher. I’d hate to come across as a British holiday- maker (and I will be returning to my native England soon) whether in shorts or a skirt.
And whether physique or clothes, knowing you can pull off the look better than others gives and adds to the confidence.
And who knows, we could be the ones advising in time. My first job in the US was selling dresses to plus sizes. I was paid to do it then and honesty did pay.