"It wasn't an accident"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby beachlion » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 pm

partlyscot wrote:......... I rarely gave thought to outfits when I wore pants, and probably was often viewed as a sartorial disaster.

Does this resonate with others?


It sounds familiar. I worked at a shipyard and now and then I had to go on board in engine rooms and other technical spaces. So I wore as a norm pants and a simple shirt. On board I had a boiler suit. The pants were just a step up from jeans. Only when I expected customers I would be in a suit (and no crawling on board). I bought black and blue for pants and blue, white or red for shirts. This way everything would go together and I could even dress in complete darkness.

With skirts I think I do a little better but still stick to my color scheme. I don't see the estetics of clothing so there is no incentive to take more care of my way of dressing.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
User avatar
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am
Location: Allentown, PA, USA

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Grok » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 pm

In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby crfriend » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Grok wrote:In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.

This may be the reason why now that the gals have fully embraced trousers to the exclusion of skirts things are starting to look eerily like Mao's China when it comes to apparel. :blue:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10368
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Grok » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:58 am

Over the years I would save the tags-indicating size, brand, and style-off of twin tubes. When a garment started to show wear and tear, I could replace it without bothering to try on a new garment.

I already knew what the garment was going to look like-it was going to look dull, because they always do.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby skirtyscot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:38 am

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:In terms of improving your appearance, there isn't much more you can do with twin-tubes once you look presentable. So you might as well devise a uniform that minimizes effort/fuss.

This may be the reason why now that the gals have fully embraced trousers to the exclusion of skirts things are starting to look eerily like Mao's China when it comes to apparel. :blue:


But women's trousers are full of variety. From skin-tight to baggy, any colour, any pattern, all sorts of fabrics, all lengths from short shorts to floor length. They basically took all the variety of skirts and bifurcated them. And why not?

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being thought of as feminine.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Grok » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 pm

skirtyscot wrote:[

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being though of as feminine.
One gets the impression that a man is locked inside a coffin, and because that coffin is shrinking he will be squeezed out of existence.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Fred in Skirts » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Grok wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:[

Of course, in doing so they came quite close to some men's styles, so men shrank away into an even smaller corner to avoid being though of as feminine.


One gets the impression that a man is locked inside a coffin, and because that coffin is shrinking he will be squeezed out of existence.

"THAT IS WHAT THE WOMEN WANT!"

You hear it on the news media and it is rampant in the TV shows too. Women can do it all so what do they need men for anyway??
:( :(
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Sinned » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 am

Try a book called "The End of Men" by Hanna Rosin. Thoughtful reading.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby lazerr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Interestingly, I saw a middle school photo of a school social my niece posted of her with 8 friends. The guys in trousers and button shirts could have been taken in the 50’s, as the boys style is exactly the same to my eyes. The girls all looked different in color and style, but the boys were all in the same “uniform”. I know that’s probably not how they usually dress, but I do see that it is similar, just jeans and t shirt normally.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:40 pm
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Dust » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 am

lazerr wrote:Interestingly, I saw a middle school photo of a school social my niece posted of her with 8 friends. The guys in trousers and button shirts could have been taken in the 50’s, as the boys style is exactly the same to my eyes. The girls all looked different in color and style, but the boys were all in the same “uniform”. I know that’s probably not how they usually dress, but I do see that it is similar, just jeans and t shirt normally.

I don't really know what it will take to break guys or of this sartorial straightjacket, but it's been that way for too long. It's not just the two tubes thing, it's everything. The suit collars get tweaked, the tailoring gets taken it or let out, but overall, no real change.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: "It wasn't an accident"

Postby Skaterswaltz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Always an idea to get a wider view. Select your sources well and few. I’m up for asking a woman’s view, for dress including glasses. It has helped as to how high or low to wear skirts around the waist. Some are better lower than higher. I’d hate to come across as a British holiday- maker (and I will be returning to my native England soon) whether in shorts or a skirt.
And whether physique or clothes, knowing you can pull off the look better than others gives and adds to the confidence.
And who knows, we could be the ones advising in time. My first job in the US was selling dresses to plus sizes. I was paid to do it then and honesty did pay.
Skaterswaltz
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Previous

Return to Freestyle Fashions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alexthebird and 2 guests