Women's skirts, and why we shouldn't get upset at the label

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Women's skirts, and why we shouldn't get upset at the la

Post by Gusto10 »

Dust wrote: And with men not used to bright colors, especially on their lower half, it doesn't make sense to try to sell them in a bunch of colors either. Men typically don't wear pants in many colors that aren't black or khaki.
Well maybe not where you live, but I have seen bright yellow, e.g. like a yellow marker, red, bright green, pink, baby blue...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

So have I. In fact yellow clothing is becoming a favourite of mine, skirts, trousers, tops. I wore yellow for my graduation ceremony at York University.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I must concede that hi-vis yellow is becoming popular, even where not required. It does it's job well, otherwise an assault upon the eyes.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Gusto10 wrote:
Dust wrote: And with men not used to bright colors, especially on their lower half, it doesn't make sense to try to sell them in a bunch of colors either. Men typically don't wear pants in many colors that aren't black or khaki.
Well maybe not where you live, but I have seen bright yellow, e.g. like a yellow marker, red, bright green, pink, baby blue...
On guys' pants? And the non-athletic variety? I've seen it on workout clothes, and on t-shirts, but that's about it. Maybe a jacket or two as well...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've mentioned it before, and it warrants mentioning again: "One of the reasons I like appropriating styles from "across the aisle" is the expressive nature that the styles offer." -- especially in the range of colours, patterns, and prints.

On men's trousers, leaving denim jeans (spit) out of the equation, it's all an endless sea of black, navy, brown, and khaki. There is one -- ONE -- quirky exception to this and it's reasonably local, and that's "Nantucket Red" (a desaturated red that borders on a pink) worn primarily on the island and is very rare on the mainland once one gets away from the ferry terminals. I do not believe I've ever seen it in my day-to-day travels off-island.

Sure one will occasionally see garishly-coloured athletic tights/leggings deployed on guys, but that's not street garb for day-to-day use, and certainly not for work or professional activity. There are also some pretty flamboyant styles to be seen on golf courses, but again, that's not the everyday hum-drum world where one gets up, goes to work, puts his 14 hours in, then goes home and collapses from the stress.

With stuff "from the other side" I get to enjoy my taste for bright colours, both with skirts and also with the occasional pair of palazzos.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

It is not all that somber.
IMG_0877q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I wear red trousers a LOT. I like the colour. I’ve never felt in the slightest bit self-conscious wearing them. They add colour to the world! :-)
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I try them on in the store. That way I know the size is correct and how it fits. I know in many cases the store doesn't have the selection as they do online. That makes it harder to find the right fit.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:
All skinny guys I will bet. I have sometimes seen some men's pants in non-dull colours, but they were all for skinny guys. I recall having to buy a pair of white cotton painter's pants and dye them to get a pair of lavender pants for myself.

But, even in women's stores, pants tend to be dull. Black, navy, grey, maybe the odd dark purple or a khaki or olive drab.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Red Levi Style trousers became popular for the female over 50 years ago......in U.K.
Red and or Pink Trousers have recently been in fashion last year for casual female wear...
leggings are probably still in dark colours with brightly coloured tunics..................................................weeladdie
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I think pants are seen as a "staple" garment. A basic item that you get a few of that you can wear with everything else, as the foundation of your wardrobe. So no real surprise that a lot of people (male and female) stick with their dull shades like black, khaki, and denim. And manufacturers respond by making what people buy.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

For the female ...Black leggings and a colourful top are a popular mix.............weeladdie