Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

Re: Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Postby Grok » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Postby dillon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 am

Grok wrote:Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.

I still wonder if our qualms about the term “girlfriend” isn’t just a product of the somewhat advanced average age of correspondents in this group, perhaps reflecting our own uneasy feelings as pioneers in male skirting. I also wonder if young men, under thirty, whose worlds are more free and flexible and accommodating than ours, might take it lightly, as a fad with a social connotation, especially as symbolic of their commitment to sexual equality. Of course, the success of “girlfriend skirts” would in part require the proper styling, sizing, fit and construction of the garments. There would need to be something unique about the skirts that says “My wearing this says I’m sexually secure, and in support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity.” I can see it, particularly for YUMs...young urban males.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Sinned » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 am

".... men sexually secure ...."? When were young men ever sexually secure? Sexual security comes with age and maturity, neither of which is prevalent in young men. The ".... support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity" I can see having some influence, but enough to switch them to wearing girl's clothes???? Time will tell I suppose and stranger things have happened. So I can see where you are coming from even though I can't quite bring myself to agree with you completely. As for the age thing ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Daryl » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 am

Grok wrote:Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.

YUP.

I would wager large coin that the term "boyfriend" came on the fashion scene long after the habit of wearing one's boyfriend's clothes was already well known, not just as a result of some fashion house deciding to invent it as a marketing tool. The reverse of that phenomenon is unlikely since when girls wear their boyfriend's clothes, they are usually wearing something larger than they are, and acquiring a level of physical comfort as a consequence, in addition to a "look", but the same would not apply in reverse. Sharing wardrobe in the other direction, while sometimes possible, is going to be far less frequent just because of sizing alone. I think if girl's frames were the same size as boy's frames in general, we'd already be seeing a lot of it. Boys can get away with wearing their girlfriend's clothes, if they fit, because merely wearing them says "I have a girlfriend."
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Postby dillon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 am

Sinned wrote:".... men sexually secure ...."? When were young men ever sexually secure? Sexual security comes with age and maturity, neither of which is prevalent in young men. The ".... support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity" I can see having some influence, but enough to switch them to wearing girl's clothes???? Time will tell I suppose and stranger things have happened. So I can see where you are coming from even though I can't quite bring myself to agree with you completely. As for the age thing ....

Well, I can’t speak for you but I was quite secure as a young man when I was out chasing it. A lot more secure than I’d be today, if I had to go back out and chase it again. :cry: But I actually made a misleading statement. I should have said “secure with my, and your, sexuality,” which is what I meant. And I know beyond a doubt that young folks today are definitely more secure with all aspects of sexuality than my generation was...and, I fear, still is.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Freestyle Fashions