Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Post by Grok »

Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Grok wrote:Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.
I still wonder if our qualms about the term “girlfriend” isn’t just a product of the somewhat advanced average age of correspondents in this group, perhaps reflecting our own uneasy feelings as pioneers in male skirting. I also wonder if young men, under thirty, whose worlds are more free and flexible and accommodating than ours, might take it lightly, as a fad with a social connotation, especially as symbolic of their commitment to sexual equality. Of course, the success of “girlfriend skirts” would in part require the proper styling, sizing, fit and construction of the garments. There would need to be something unique about the skirts that says “My wearing this says I’m sexually secure, and in support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity.” I can see it, particularly for YUMs...young urban males.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

".... men sexually secure ...."? When were young men ever sexually secure? Sexual security comes with age and maturity, neither of which is prevalent in young men. The ".... support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity" I can see having some influence, but enough to switch them to wearing girl's clothes???? Time will tell I suppose and stranger things have happened. So I can see where you are coming from even though I can't quite bring myself to agree with you completely. As for the age thing ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:Emphasizing females/feminimity will limit sales to a few freestylers.
YUP.

I would wager large coin that the term "boyfriend" came on the fashion scene long after the habit of wearing one's boyfriend's clothes was already well known, not just as a result of some fashion house deciding to invent it as a marketing tool. The reverse of that phenomenon is unlikely since when girls wear their boyfriend's clothes, they are usually wearing something larger than they are, and acquiring a level of physical comfort as a consequence, in addition to a "look", but the same would not apply in reverse. Sharing wardrobe in the other direction, while sometimes possible, is going to be far less frequent just because of sizing alone. I think if girl's frames were the same size as boy's frames in general, we'd already be seeing a lot of it. Boys can get away with wearing their girlfriend's clothes, if they fit, because merely wearing them says "I have a girlfriend."
Daryl...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:".... men sexually secure ...."? When were young men ever sexually secure? Sexual security comes with age and maturity, neither of which is prevalent in young men. The ".... support of women and progressive sexual and gender identity" I can see having some influence, but enough to switch them to wearing girl's clothes???? Time will tell I suppose and stranger things have happened. So I can see where you are coming from even though I can't quite bring myself to agree with you completely. As for the age thing ....
Well, I can’t speak for you but I was quite secure as a young man when I was out chasing it. A lot more secure than I’d be today, if I had to go back out and chase it again. :cry: But I actually made a misleading statement. I should have said “secure with my, and your, sexuality,” which is what I meant. And I know beyond a doubt that young folks today are definitely more secure with all aspects of sexuality than my generation was...and, I fear, still is.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
TheEngineer

Post by TheEngineer »

jamodu wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm ......For the sake of equality, how about 'Girlfriend Skirts', Girlfriend Dresses' and 'Girlfriend Tights', for example, being similarly available for Men to buy?
Well Next are now selling "girlfriend jeans" but curiously they are not meant for men.
"Girlfriend jeans are cut to sit higher on the hips and have a slim straight leg fit. Designed to hug your curves, the girlfriend style will emulate the boyfriend style but still show off your shape."
One step closer or just more confusion?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

TheEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:50 pm One step closer or just more confusion?
Neither, just another bit of sales hype.
No confusion because it won't touch the vast majority of men at all.
Steve.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

As always the mental unwritten rule comes into play. That women can wear any thing they want and it's ok.
And no man would or should wear anything with girl friend / woman etc in the title.

It amazes me how rock solid feminity is once enough women latch on to something it becomes feminine and males loose it forever. ( a few examples, skirts, wigs, hi heels to name a few) Women can wear any thing and it becomes feminine. The latest to fall to femininity is the denim blue jeans.

If enough women started including black plastic garbage bags as part of their wardrobe in a decade or so, men would no longer be able to use them anymore.

It seems that nothing is off limits for the women folk.
If a woman wears something from the men's department, it's considered, to be, cute, darling, sexy, darling, progressive, chic and or empowering.

If a man doe the reverse, ( and wear something from the womens department)
He might as well walk around with a sign about his neck saying, " I just castrated myself"
Now I know what I have said is a little excessive.
But at some degree there is truth to what I am saying.

In current society women can't lose their femininity.
But apparently men and masculinity can be shattered quite easily just by pulling on those girlfriend jeans or even quicker (gasp) a skirt.

Rant over...

So Its doubtful "girlfriend" anything will catch on in the men's wardrobe realm.

Just own it and wear it. We won't get permission from the " girlfriend". My girlfriend (wife) don't approve/ permit me anyway.

My skirts I didn't borrow from anyone or steal. I bought them my skirts are my skirts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
TheEngineer

Post by TheEngineer »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 am So Its doubtful "girlfriend" anything will catch on in the men's wardrobe realm.
I tied "girlfriend jeans" once and they were the most unsatisfactory jeans I ever tried. They didn't fit me as well as men's jeans and they did not exhibit the womens' fit that often works so well on my body. Well done fashion industry, got it wrong again :-) I'll just carry on buying "proper" women's jeans, ha ha.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 am It seems that nothing is off limits for the women folk.
If a woman wears something from the men's department, it's considered, to be, cute, darling, sexy, darling, progressive, chic and or empowering.
Ain't it the truth but also largely due mostly to women themselves.
Over the years they have fought for and made great capital out of their victories.
To paraphrase "Brothers will have to do it for themselves". Just doesn't have the same ring though.
In the past I certainly wore female jeans but never a girlfriends in any sense.
I only own 2 pairs of trousers these days, neither denim. I cannot say how long it has been since I wore jeans.
Steve.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Following-on from my original post, ‘The Girlfriend Collective’ has a range of gym clothing.

I’m sure it’s just a colloquism referring to clothing for fellow Women - but if she can wear a ‘Boyfriend Cardigan’ I can now buy ‘Girlfriend Leggings’ or a ‘Girlfriend Skort’…

https://thesportsedit.com/collections/g ... gKVYfD_BwE
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh Dear Oh Dear,
You made me smile with this one Jamodu.
However, make it easy on yourself, just wear what you damn well please.
Maybe call it a udress or a uskirt, nope just leave it plain and simple, skirt or dress.
Life is complicated enough.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice lot of stuff, but you'd need to be a GG (Genetic girl) to wear any of it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There is one item of womenswear that mean wear with pride, and it doesn't even matter how floral or flouncy it is. If you have just got out of bed in your girlfriend's house, wearing her dressing gown is a sort of badge of pride. Add her nightie and you send a different vibe, though.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 am As always the mental unwritten rule comes into play. That women can wear any thing they want and it's ok.
And no man would or should wear anything with girl friend / woman etc in the title.

It amazes me how rock solid feminity is once enough women latch on to something it becomes feminine and males loose it forever. ( a few examples, skirts, wigs, hi heels to name a few) Women can wear any thing and it becomes feminine. The latest to fall to femininity is the denim blue jeans.

If enough women started including black plastic garbage bags as part of their wardrobe in a decade or so, men would no longer be able to use them anymore.

It seems that nothing is off limits for the women folk.

If a man doe the reverse, ( and wear something from the womens department)
He might as well walk around with a sign about his neck saying, " I just castrated myself"
Now I know what I have said is a little excessive.
But at some degree there is truth to what I am saying.

In current society women can't lose their femininity.
But apparently men and masculinity can be shattered quite easily just by pulling on those girlfriend jeans or even quicker (gasp) a skirt.

Rant over...

So Its doubtful "girlfriend" anything will catch on in the men's wardrobe realm.

Just own it and wear it. We won't get permission from the " girlfriend". My girlfriend (wife) don't approve/ permit me anyway.

My skirts I didn't borrow from anyone or steal. I bought them my skirts are my skirts.
I completely agree with you mishawakaskirt because I see it all the time. The evidence is there everytime I go out in a skirt.
Life seems harder in the USA. I have not been there but .. and tell me if I'm wrong. Flip flops are womens wear and shorts are womens wear. They are not womens wear here. Men can wear short shorts if they want, most would say they are old fashioned. As for flip flops? No problem.

"In current society women can't lose their femininity.
But apparently men and masculinity can be shattered quite easily just by pulling on those girlfriend jeans or even quicker (gasp) a skirt."

Agreed, womens femininity is robust, they can express it however they choose. It's more about expression and movement for women.

Jealousy won't get us anywhere (I admit it, I'm envious). Our masculinity can be just as robust if we choose. Walk tall, challenge the jibes, be a man. Or not. It's your choice not anyone else's.