I have a dumb question...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by Gusto10 »

Getting back to the original question and looking from the other side of the pond, the cowboy boots have become a fashion item and are worn mostly by women living in very trendy area's where it's also fashionable to have left of the centre political views as long as one is not confronted therewith (a.k.a. Salo(o)n - drawing room - socialists). Hence these adverts do make sense.

As to the Chelsea boots, weren't they mostly worn by Dandy's living in Chelsea?
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by Sinned »

Gusto, Chelsea boots were, in their time, worn all over the country not just Chelsea and they weren't Dandies either but normal youths/young adults/young men. Whatever normal is at their age.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2716
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by dillon »

Gusto10 wrote:Getting back to the original question and looking from the other side of the pond, the cowboy boots have become a fashion item and are worn mostly by women living in very trendy area's where it's also fashionable to have left of the centre political views as long as one is not confronted therewith (a.k.a. Salo(o)n - drawing room - socialists). Hence these adverts do make sense.

As to the Chelsea boots, weren't they mostly worn by Dandy's living in Chelsea?
I don’t know Chelsea boots, but cowboy boots more or less went out of mainstream fashion in the US years ago, primarily because of the political divide in the country. Western wear being mostly associated with the MAGA audience, aside from maybe Santa Fe. Certainly there are regions where they persist because of the sociopolitical leanings...like Nashville and certain parts of Texas and the West...maybe Bakersfield CA or Greeley CO. Maybe some southern towns of no real significance. It’s not the trend anymore. That’s what surprised me about the ad campaign. I just don’t see the typical Rachel Maddow watcher as a meaningful customer base for anything Western.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1989
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dillon
You are looking for logic in fashion, wow!
Steve.
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2013
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by denimini »

This years Gymkhana.
If the rider was wearing a skirt I would have put it in the "What is your favourite skirt for flying" thread.
WC_gymkhana_01m.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by oldsalt1 »

dillon wrote:The military would call it “mission creep.” I really only wondered why cowboy boots, the garb of the right wing, were being advertised on left-leaning television networks. Oh well, ask a question, ya get an answer, regardless of its relationship to the original inquiry. :lol:
That is because left-leaning television networks are blood sucking fake news producers who would sell their mothers for a buck
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11651
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:That is because left-leaning television networks are blood sucking fake news producers who would sell their mothers for a buck
Or the oligarchs that control both the right- and left- wing media that have sold their souls to keep the populace busy fighting each other instead of presenting a unified front to throw the oligarchs out of power.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2716
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:
dillon wrote:The military would call it “mission creep.” I really only wondered why cowboy boots, the garb of the right wing, were being advertised on left-leaning television networks. Oh well, ask a question, ya get an answer, regardless of its relationship to the original inquiry. :lol:
That is because left-leaning television networks are blood sucking fake news producers who would sell their mothers for a buck
Since those ads have now vanished, I’d say it was a case of Madison Avenue having bought air time cheaply and learning the lesson that cowboy boots ads belong on country music TV channels. It’s not like they have any general use beyond fashion for cowboy wannabes...line dancers, or whatever. I expect the company won’t last any longer than 2020. America has had enough of this ridiculous BS.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
FestivalGuy
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 2:35 am

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by FestivalGuy »

I grew up wearing cowboy boots. (Native Texan) In college I went to school in a small West Texas town. Worked at a honkey tonk bar. Taught Western swing, waltz and two-step. Boots were a way of life. Ropers are popular with they short heel. Makes for quick exit from stirrups. I preferred a "dogging" heel which is about an inch and half to two. Locked in stirrups better for riding and other cowboy activities. Also helps with my lower back. Now , 20 years removed I still wear them regularly with slacks and jeans. Just my go to dress shoes.

Yes they are cowboy boots. A good pair in the $300 plus range will last a very long time. I love the look of a girl in a pair with a skirt no matter the length
Post Reply