Bought my first dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
steamman

Bought my first dress

Post by steamman »

it's taken me a while, but I finally took the plunge and bought my first dress:

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0738202001.html

All I can say is, wow! Feels amazing and looks amazing, why did I take so long to buy a dress? It is so easy, throw it on and you have an instant outfit. I guess a small part of me had to make than mental leap that yes, dresses can be for men too.

I deliberately chose a shirt dress as I figured it would be something that was more than adaptable to the male anatomy. I was right. What to wear with it? I am thinking a pair of wedge OTK boots would be a good choice.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bought my first dress

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Steamman,
Looks good and well done.
The shirt style could be dressed up or down with accessories.
Just play around with it until you find a look that you like.
Have fun.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Good style for a man. We share conservative taste in dresses.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That style certainly works steamman, and good for finding it.

I also note that it's sold out in real sizes, so somebody is buying them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Well done Steamman!

As a lady friend from my wine bar put it, "Dresses are just so damn comfortable!"

For what it's worth, shirt dresses are one of my favorite styles as well.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A good buy and should look ok. Now what I want to know is - why ( in the eyes of the rest of society, not us ) is a dress shirt ok on a man but just extend the length of it so it becomes a shirt dress and it suddenly becomes unacceptable? The same goes with say a cami top or a T-shirt - extend its length and it's suddenly no, no? Illogical and crazy!!!!

I have a yellow mini dress. It was MOH's but she thought it too short for her. I didn't so inherited it and I pass it off to her as a long T-shirt as it has T-shirt short sleeves and she accepts it. What?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
steamman

Post by steamman »

why ( in the eyes of the rest of society, not us ) is a dress shirt ok on a man but just extend the length of it so it becomes a shirt dress and it suddenly becomes unacceptable
?

Completely agree. At what point where you keep extending the length of a dress shirt does it switch from being masculine to feminine? It's utter nonsense. The same applies to foot wear. When does the height of a heel on a shoe become a "high heel" and therefore feminine?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What are clothes anyway???
Clothes are just threads that are woven in a certain pattern then cut out and sewed together and nothing more.
Clothes do not have a sex or gender as they are inanimate objects.
So why do the great unwashed and the idiots try to give them what they don't have and don't need???
Where is the real answer to this???

Right now I am sitting here typing this and am wearing a dress. It is orange and has a floral design on it as well as lined I like it very much as do enjoy wearing it. So what is wrong that I am to be castigated because of it?

I no longer look at clothes with an eye towards what gender it was for, but do I think it will look good on me, if I think it will I will buy it and wear it.

:twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.