Can skirts coexist with a belly?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Can skirts coexist with a belly?

Post by beachlion »

If you like it than buy it and wear it. You can not please anybody so at least please yourself.

I don't see anything wrong or unlawfully. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, you are clearly carrying a few extra pounds, but I wouldn't say that that picture draws the eye to them. If you hadn't drawn our attention to it I wouldn't have noticed. There is clearly a small amount of flesh pressing against the inside of the skirt, and a bit of a spare tyre above it, but you can see skirted women with exactly the same thing, or more. And of course plenty of betrousered people of both sexes with huge rolls of fat hanging over the waistband. I bet if you'd posted a picture of yourself in trousers of the same size and cut, nobody would have thought anything was wrong at all.

So I hope you bought it and you wear it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Might want to try a size up and a belt. Just a thought.
Max

Post by Max »

I have a significant beer belly. I only wear skirts with elastic waistbands. My shirts are untucked. Therefore, to even the level of the hem, the front of my skirts lie where my jeans would and I slide the back down some.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

brennk wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 pm I was trying on skirts/skorts at Duluth Trading Company--lots of deep pockets make them great for guys--but I had some doubts as my belly is starting to grow with my age. I posted this picture on facebook and did get one negative comment that it wasn't right for my figure.
Try a belt and not tuck shirt in so tightly, Also if you try a shorter skirt that is worn lower on the "waist", so it is below your belly, again with shirt not tucked in tight.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I'm working on losing the belly as well. My kilts line up with my belt line with no probs, But skirts tend to sit a bit funny. My goal is lose the belly,
But some dress's with shirt over or a hoody would work as well,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sure the motivation to lose the spare tyre is a great thing,
Just remember that all humans come in all shapes and sizes.
Don't get hung up on this just play around with styles and combinations,
Enjoy the ride,
Personally I use braces or suspenders to our American compadres.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Losing weight would be helpful, both in terms of health and skirting. I went from 243 down to 193 over the course of two years and have kept it off thanks to improved diet and exercise. Don’t try to do it all at once, go at your own pace and results will come.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Pinafore/Dungaree/Jumper Dress?

Post by shadowfax »

No-one seems to have mentioned a Pinafore or Dungaree Dress in this thread.
Edit My apologies to moonshadow. I've just realised that the American term for a Pinafore/Dungaree Dress is a Jumper Dress. :oops:
The advantage of these is that one can wear any shirt with them that one prefers.
Pinafore_Dress_Front_View.jpeg
Pinafore_Dress_Back_View.jpeg
A word to the wise. Make sure that the straps at the back, start as high on the back as possible so they don't keep slipping off your shoulders. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pinafore/Dungaree/Jumper Dress?

Post by Stu »

shadowfax wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:14 pm No-one seems to have mentioned a Pinafore or Dungaree Dress in this thread.
Can anyone offer ONE good reason why a garment as basic and simple as this is taboo to the 50% of humankind? :x
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can't think of any reason but the only problem I can see with the bib dress is getting the straps right. This type of dress has been ticking around in my mind for a while.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Yes, getting the straps right can be an issue with the dress and the same applies to dungarees consisting of a bib with trousers. I have such a garment which is expressly for wearing when using my chainsaw. That's so I don't cut my leg off, which might end up bleeding a bit.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I wear a bib dress regularly and have no problem with the straps at all.
It is really comfortable in a casual fashion.
Steve.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:43 am I wear a bib dress regularly and have no problem with the straps at all.
It is really comfortable in a casual fashion.
Steve.
I bought a pinafore dress a while ago on eBay. There wasn't a proper picture of the back of the dress in the listing.
When I wore it, I found that the shoulder straps were attached rather low at the back and often fell off my shoulders. I gave it to charity.
Since then, I've stuck to skirts.

I recently bought another pinafore dress. So far, no problems with the shoulder straps. :)

TBH I'm still getting used to the concept of wearing a dress outside of home, rather than a skirt. :?
Walked over to a local shop the other day. Felt a little strange but no problems. :)

Edit The junction of the straps, at the back of the dress, is hidden under the model's hair, in the pictures of the dress which I linked above.
Here's the same dress in a different colour, where the strap junction at the back is visible.