Can skirts coexist with a belly?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Denny

Re: Can skirts coexist with a belly?

Post by Denny »

20190110_105302.jpg
I tried using braces with a skort (dress with shorts under it.)
I worked nicely, keeping the skirt level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Denny wrote:I tried using braces with a skort (dress with shorts under it.)
I worked nicely, keeping the skirt level.
It's an engineering problem. Just treat it so. Life's easier that way.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I'm a member of the keg club also.
5 foot 7 inches and weighing 208 pounds. I have a belly. Alot depends on the size or type of skirt. Snug fixed size skirts I have to wear down at jeans height there is just not any getting around that. Unless one opts for bigger skirts. Elasticized waist skirts offer alot of flexibility. Especially a calf length skirt. I have pulled up a calf length skirt to where it's at the knees. This hides the keg very well.
I guess I'm more self conscience of showing the other male bulge below the keg. Wearing a skirt on the keg mostly eliminates it.
I think I will consider trying the suspenders as suggested, I had been contemplating giving them a go anyways.

Male kilts are specifically designed around being just above the belly button so they are perfect for covering the keg. At Ren fairs I have seen a number of men wearing them at low rider jeans height well below the keg, not flattering at all. Talk about a tilt in your kilt.

Someone mentioned dresses, they may be ok for some. I own a few, and not interested in getting more, while it's nice to wear something that just hangs from the shoulders and not chinch you at the waist. However I find them more frustrating than skirt shopping. The problem is usually with the bodice. Too snug, shoulders or sleeves are to tight. Plunging neckline. Feminine embellishments. The few I have are true diamonds in the rough finds. I know what they mean by "finding that perfect dress"
It's much easier to find a good fitting skirt or kilt. Good luck out there. And in the words of Red Green. Keep your stick on the ice.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Let me point out the obvious, work on flattening the belly. It's true that as we age, everything migrates to "the middle", however, it's also not good for our health and is associated with a whole host of maladies such as heart disease, diabetes, stoke and the like... In the US, it's called "metabolic syndrome."

Solve that problem and it will also solve the skirt problem.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

BTW, I think you look great in this outfit. I think the shirt would maybe look better if shorter, but it still looks good as is.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Skirts fit a belly a lot better than pants.:
  • Much more comfortable and can pe pulled up as much as the hem allows.
    Easier to fit around the waist. I have a stretchy belt that never fails.
    Looks a lot better as the skirt smooths the bottom of the belly
    Pants on bottom of belly are always pulling down.
    If you buy pants large enough for the waist, the legs will be too big.
I know there are others.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Tempted to do my best “Crocodile Dundee” here. “You call that a belly? That’s not a belly. THIS is a belly!”
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:I find that an adjustable male belt in waist belt loops is a useful safety precaution as it holds the skirt at the true height
of the male waist....the indentation is there; between the rib cage and the hip bone...........
I am expanding this post....Working from the true male waist is a good start for a male skirt wearer.....
Some will agree that wearing a free flowing summer skirt with an elasticated waist might work...
So position the elasticated waist at the true male waist and check in the mirror to see if your hem is level with the ground all the way round the garment.
With a free flowing garment there may be some shaping to the rear of the garment......You may find a hanging loop at the position of each hip,

Take the garment off and hold up by each storage hanging loop...Look for a Makers Label. This should be worn at the rear of the garment..
The extra shape may show when you hold the garment up by each storage loop.......If you are still confused , put the garment on a hanger.....

Some garments have no waist hanging loops. You will then need a hanger with adjustable waist clips...These are available from general hardwear stores.

In U.K...try Lidl....Wilco ...Treago Mils....or even just your local supermarket....some clothes stores leave free boxes of excess skirt hangers outside
the front door...One has to be street wise when skirt wearing....If you are man enough just ask a shop assistant if they have any skirt hangers...
This item may be available on overnight order....

If You use my example of an elasticated waist Know how to put the garment on, look again at the position of the hem...If the fit
of the garment still looks wrong when worn at the true male waist, just pull the waist band up at the front, so the hem is in the correct position.

The next move is to wear a male waist belt...Possibly adjustable and elasticated......The second alterative is to wear male trouser bracers with
waist clips...If you can only find a button bracers just sew buttons onto the waistband of your skirt....

I have previously spoken of sewing elasticated vents into the waist band of a skirt to make the garment fit my male waist.

One of my male post Xmas problems is that some of my beautiful straight black skirts are now only one inch too tight on each hip.....
so I will have to resort to major vent fitting surgery at the waist........" THERE IS NO PROBLEM....ONLY A SOLUTION "
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Wearing a garment like a Cornish Fishermans Smock over your skirt will cover up any irregularities at the waist....
This garment sometimes has waist pockets as a working garment....

If you feel you may have problems wearing your skirt ,wear both belt and bracers ,
or check out how the "" two fat ladies ( famous English Chefs ) " dress when out on the street ............L.O.L.
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Hi Brad. I suffer from the same affliction as you. Mine is more of a spare tire around the midsection. We used to call them "saddle bags". One thing I've done is buy a shaper. Spanx style. It looks like a man's sleeveless undershirt but has a ton of elastic in it to hold the protruding parts in. I'm 5-10 and 190 lbs. I squeezed into a ladies small and it did make a difference. It doesn't all go away but for me it was effective. Think about it.

Jeff
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

JRMILLER wrote:Let me point out the obvious, work on flattening the belly. It's true that as we age, everything migrates to "the middle", however, it's also not good for our health and is associated with a whole host of maladies such as heart disease, diabetes, stoke and the like... In the US, it's called "metabolic syndrome."

Solve that problem and it will also solve the skirt problem.
Agreed! On May 1, 2017, I was 243 pounds with an all too obvious paunch and didn't like how I looked, so I took action by cutting out junk food, watching what I ate and hit the gym at least twice a week. Today, I'm at 186 pounds and not only do I look better in my skirts (having lost a good three dress sizes in the process) but feel better as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The irony is that women don’t ask each other about the aesthetics of a 300 lb sister wearing stretch leggings as she shops In WalMart. So, no, my gut doesn’t stop me from dressing in a way I enjoy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There isn't a human being alive on this planet who does not have a "belly".
Big, small, ugly or beautiful there will always be one.
The bellies will likely be as variable as the bodies they inhabit.
Skirts seem to have gotten along with bellies in the past so why question a great relationship now?
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Try a different sizing or style from a different supplier.....I have recently discovered that some Indian or Asian sarongs are made
for small ladies with big backsides.....so the hip measurement is different.......................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Should I say this.....check out the shape of maternity wear....free flowing and full at the front............
brennk

Post by brennk »

20190504_103810.jpg
I was trying on skirts/skorts at Duluth Trading Company--lots of deep pockets make them great for guys--but I had some doubts as my belly is starting to grow with my age. I posted this picture on facebook and did get one negative comment that it wasn't right for my figure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.