Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by Dust »

Grok wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:23 am Today I was browsing in mens wear in a Goodwill. Took a look at suit jackets. And noticed jackets with fake pockets. So I was thinking...I hope the buyer can stuff all his essentials into his pants pockets...or he will need a purse.
On suit jackets, there are often pockets that are sewn shut. It's sometimes called pick stitching. It helps the suit-maker keep everything lined up during construction, and can make the suit's lines look a touch better if left in place. Typically the first owner will take those stitches out to make the pockets functional, however some folks don't know to do this, or don't care to. Look closer, there may be pockets there, just waiting for someone to open them up...

Similar temporary stitching is sometimes in place on new clothes to hold the vents closed, both on suit jackets and skirts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I purchase a skirt with what I thought were fake pockets but on looking inside I could see that they were sewn up. With bit of unpicking they proved to be good pockets.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

So this has turned out to be an educational experience.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

denimini wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:27 am I purchase a skirt with what I thought were fake pockets but on looking inside I could see that they were sewn up. With bit of unpicking they proved to be good pockets.
I got one with pockets that were sewn shut, but when I picked them open they were still so small as to be almost useless...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes I have a couple of skirts with zipper pockets, real zips but no pocket, although I could fit a couple of tooth picks in there and zip up.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

for the most part, I've noticed that if a women's skirt has pockets they are very shallow compared to men's pants or shorts. I have new adidas unisex wrap skirt with decent front pockets. Women have purses or shoulder bags to carry their gear. As a male I'm used to having pockets but I have found alternatives by using a sports fanny pack with skirts that have no pockets. I recently got a leather over the shoulder pouch to carry keys, wallet and phone when I don't have any pocket space when I where a skirt. 511 Tactical has a utility kilt that goes for just under $100 with lots of pockets. I shop at Goodwill Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx and other stores for skirts made for women, my most important buying decision is based on pocket space.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by big_daddy_thong » Fri May 19, 2023 1:03 pm

for the most part, I've noticed that if a women's skirt has pockets they are very shallow.... Tactical has a utility kilt that goes for just under $100 with lots of pockets. ....I shop at Goodwill Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx and other stores for skirts made for women, my most important buying decision is based on pocket space.
A hundred bucks is a lot to pay for pockets! :( In my earlier skirt wearing days, pockets were a key consideration, and as most of my skirts were pretty 'tame' --simple denim un-bifurcated jeans, so they came with functional pockets. But I was also drawn to some fabrics, patterns, colors or form that had great appeal, but no pockets. I'd do silly things to compensate: stuff my pen pocket, wear a jacket (needed or not) for the pocket space, ask my wife to carry my billfold or keys in her purse....all because I had more of a problem with the notion of carrying a purse AND wearing a skirt than wearing skirts!

The guys on this Cafe encouraged me and I gave it a try. As with skirts, the 'fear factor' is all in our own head. My wife had also suggested I carry a "man, or camera" bag to break the boundary. As you can tell, I've broken that "barrier" too. It took far too long, but it does open the door to many more options and a lot more fun. Just remember to hang on to your purse -- I tend to lay things down and have had to dash back in dread a couple of times -- but the functionality is immediately obvious.