Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by dillon »

I’ve given up on searching for functional pockets in skirts. I either carry nothing more than a credit card, driver license, and minimal keys, or I carry a bag...and I can’t quite bring myself to call it a purse. I have some that are moderately unfeminine, so I have no qualms about carrying one.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:I’ve given up on searching for functional pockets in skirts. I either carry nothing more than a credit card, driver license, and minimal keys, or I carry a bag...and I can’t quite bring myself to call it a purse. I have some that are moderately unfeminine, so I have no qualms about carrying one.
Hang a pouch off a belt and call it a sporran -
A shoulder strap bag over one or crossing the body -
Carry a clutch (small hand held bag) -
What about a fanny bum bag -
OK last resort the ManPurse - a satchel to carry all one's worldly goods -
fully loaded and swung with purpose a deadly weapon -
SportKilt has a neat application of an interior pocket between the folds of the kilt aprons -
The Utilikilts have attachable cargo pockets -

Alternate weather permitting wear a jacket or coat with ample pockets - interior - exterior -

In this day and age of plastic just what the heck do you need all dem pockets for ???

Fitted pants - skirts - dresses - kilts - sans pockets - what are pockets something on a billiard/pool table ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have found that when it is not too warm a traditional tweed sports jacket is a useful garment to wear...A pocket for my wallet , one for my glasses
and another for my keys .
I have spoken of my 17 C replica Drovers Sporran... this Item hangs from my waist belt and will carry my day's supply of porridge oats and musket balls.
Being an old leather design the sporran can be cut from one piece of leather and lashed together with leather thonging .

You can google the photos of the Item from the suppliers in Scotland...Handy to wear as a man bag hanging high on your belly.....Useful for carrying glasses
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

beachlion wrote: I can use the fanny pack also as a shoulder bag so the weight of all the coins that seem to multiply like rabbits hangs from my shoulder in stead of bumping into my belly.
Have you worn it in a manner similar to a bandolier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandolier
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Grok wrote:
beachlion wrote: I can use the fanny pack also as a shoulder bag so the weight of all the coins that seem to multiply like rabbits hangs from my shoulder in stead of bumping into my belly.
Have you worn it in a manner similar to a bandolier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandolier
The waist band is not long enough to have it across my chest. The waist band is adjustable but not worth the hassle. Beside I have no intention to copy Pancho Villa.
I have the band over my right shoulder and hold the band with my right hand to prevent it from sliding off. The same way I used to carry my UZI when I was in the military service.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I tend to categorize items into essentials, and incidentals. What I regard as essentials: phone, and most especially wallet and keys.

I prefer that essentials be stowed in pockets on skirt/trousers. I especially prefer that essentials can be stowed in pockets that can be sealed, such as with a zipper.

Next in preference is stowage of essentials in a sealed pocket or pouch that is strapped to the body, as with a fanny pack.

Basically, some arrangement in which essentials won't be forgotten. (Or easily taken by a pick pocket).
Last edited by Grok on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

All of my skirts have pockets, belt loops and front zippers unless they are the few that I use as a under skirt in the winter. I do have 2 skirts that has back pockets only and it is a pain to set on my key collection that I carry.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have a loop on my car key which I can slip onto my heavy leather male belt. I only undo my belt and take off my car key when I wish to get into my car.
Glasses live in the breast pock of my jacket.. I have tried using a man bag with a shoulder strap. It is easy to take the bag off my shoulder and leave it lying
around.....I feel that the secret is to minimise the amount of junk I carry and always carry my essential items in the same manner in the same pocket
in my sports jacket.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote: Sure, slacks and that sort of thing were already available for women, but were unusual and unusual to even see in a store.
And it took women a long time to even get that far.

I would be grateful if MIS could reach a comparable situation during my life time.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

dillon wrote:I’ve given up on searching for functional pockets in skirts. I either carry nothing more than a credit card, driver license, and minimal keys, or I carry a bag...and I can’t quite bring myself to call it a purse. I have some that are moderately unfeminine, so I have no qualms about carrying one.
I carry a purse which I call "Percy", for coins, in my shoulder bag which also carries my phone and "Wally" for notes. Most of my skirts have pockets capable of car keys, otherwise they go in the shoulder bag.
I have no problem calling a purse a purse but I have trouble coping with the terms "fanny packs" and "bum bags". I have experimented with a waist mounted bag, wearing it to the front for easy access, security and comfort when seated.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There was some correspondence in one of the newspapers (The Times?) about a trend hitting London from the US where men wear fishing vests so they can have lots of pockets. The reaction from women was fairly hostile, and one correspondent said that there was no need to resort to this ugly garment as woman had solved the problem years ago - it is called a handbag. It would be funny of handbags for men became more common because women preferred their men to carry one rather than wear a fishing vest.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I carry a military looking shoulder bag with a large zipper compartment with a flap, a smaller zipper compartment, and two Velcro pockets which are perfect for a mobile phone and an aluminum wallet for credit cards.

I bought from American Scientific Surplus on line for $12.00. I like it so well I bought two more for back up. I have a large “S” shaped caribener to fasten it to a chair while I am eating, or to a shopping cart while shopping..
brennk

Post by brennk »

If you want skirts (or other women's garments such as pants and shorts) that have large pockets, try Duluth Trading Co. They are still slightly smaller than the men's versions, but only slightly so and still very functional.
RADER

Post by RADER »

I wear a Jean Skirt every day at home. It has pockets like a pair of men' Jeans, but is a skirt.
I wish I could go out side wearing this in the open. Sadly that is just not the correct thing to do now.
rader
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Rader

Suggestion: You might try driving to a place where you won't see anyone you know and take walk in a skirt. Try a beach, lake, park, etc., especially where there are mainly a lot of tourists or out-of-towners who you will never see again. It will build your confidence and you will enjoy a new found pastime. Bring lunch, take a camera, feed ducks, whatever you would like to do otherwise.