Can a skirt ever look masculine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
algie

Can a skirt ever look masculine

Post by algie »

Hello all I’m algie, a long time lurker, first time poster
This is my first try at a somewhat masculine skirt outfit
An androgynous sweater, plain denim skirt with tights and legwarmers and flat riding style boots
Please excuse the headless look for now

Thanks

Algie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can a skirt ever look masculine

Post by john62 »

Looks good, personally I would have the sweater longer.

John
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The outfit looks fine . Very well put together If this is your first outfit you did a great job . I would agree with John the skirt looks more masculine than the sweater

Welcome to the cafe
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well done Algie nice outfit , could be me......Technically speaking , ...if the outfit was viewed
from the natural eye level view point with a standard lens....the perspective of the subject
would be slightly different.....
If we imagine we were putting outline shapes on a male maniquin, I would start by adding a
traditional male jacket or body warmer. ..Sixties tank top male sweaters were very high waisted
and tight fitting......perhaps a male style leather bomber jacket....or sleeveless waistcoat.
If you wish to look male ....perhaps a Kilt jacket and waistcoat or a male cut sweater for say
a 30 inch waist and 38 inch male chest would give a different perspective to the male shape
of the sweater. I love wearing a long cardigan, nearly down to my knees over a male civilian issue
navy blue sweater......typically British Police issue.

Regarding the masculine style of skirt.....I might wear a sunray pleated skirt with an elasticated
waistband and hem to the top of the knee cap. ...This gives the outline of a traditional male
Kilt outfit....Go back and reference the Kirbstone Kilt outfits, ...Thank you Tom.

Leg warmers would certainly fill out my flat soled zip up ladies in your style.
It looks as if your denim skirt tapers in from the hip....If the skirt was black, cut to male measurements
with a hem below the Knee or a slight flare , it might change the look of the outfit
I do apologise Algie,.....I have completely changed the style of your male look outfit.....
This is my dream for a man in a skirt Male outfit...This does bring us back to the male hiking skirt.
I would certainly have no problems wearing your outfit in my male sizing out on the street...weeladdie
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Why more masculine? It is okay what you wear. Yeah maybe the sweater some longer. You have created your own touch. There is nothing wrong with your outfit. And besides ... I believe that everyone should dress according to his own insights.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I think it looks great. This is a great look, and to me, masculine looking. The bulky sweater look, boots, denim, what could be more masculine?

I think that you should not be limited to "Masculine" or "Feminine" styles, unless that is your preference. I think that we all have preferences (even the non skirt wearers) towards different interpretations of style. Some people are very utilitarian, some are highly colorful and decorative, and there is a whole range of differences between. Tough to say what anyone should wear. (thankfully).

I often wish I was more adventurous, but I also like what I like, which is a more masculine styling, even though to some it looks feminine (because of the skirt).
Last edited by lazerr on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Well I think it looks great - just the sort of outfit that I would pick for myself.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I really like that outfit. I would wear it in a heartbeat.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Hi Algie, nice looking outfit.

I'm confused though, you say it's an attempt at a masculine outfit, but you describe the sweater as "androgynous" which it is somewhat.

Nothing wrong with that, but you seem to go going in different directions? I would like that outfit myself, but the fact it has so many feminine cues would probably have me doing it a little different. That is not a criticism, just an observation of my personal quirks.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Algie,
:welcome:

That outfit is fantastic and I would wear it anytime or place. It is a very good combination of skirt and top. And the foot wear just adds to the niceness and completeness of the outfit.

Please tell us more about yourself and how you started to wear skirts. And don't worry about what others say about your skirts and the way you dress, be who you are.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Algie, looks great! I would get a denim pencil with the slit at the back, as a front slit can invite others to look up the skirt. A lumberjack style shirt or jumper with a more traditional male collar would help, but the rest of the outfit is spot on 8)
algie

Post by algie »

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.
I have to admit to being nervous making my first post but you have made me feel more at ease now.

Cheers

Algie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

You cannot deny the community that you are wearing a skirt...if you look masculine , the community
will say that you are a man in a skirt. The answer is to go for it in your skirt outfit and just act like
a man. The community at large do not care how other folks dress. My advice is that most of us
would go out in your outfit. so try wearing your skirt outfit out on the street and send us a report
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Algie, that works brilliantly.

Defo a masculine look.

Nailed it!

Ray
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

algie wrote:Hello all I’m algie, a long time lurker, first time poster
This is my first try at a somewhat masculine skirt outfit...
Welcome from the shadows, algie! And I think your outfit has a fine look.

Do you wear any other types of skirts? What kind? And where do you wear them?

Do your wife, family, or friends know you wear skirts? How's that going?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron