Wearing A Lady 's Trousers

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing A Lady 's Trousers

Post by Sinned »

I mostly wear women's trousers and MOH consents to this. In fact she's generally with me when I buy them. Yet a skirt .... Go figure. I do have men's trousers as well, a remnant from before I discovered skirts and wear them too. I have said that I wanted to integrate skirts into my wardrobe and I have meant that - addition to trousers not replacement. I'm going to have to buy a couple of pairs of black trousers for work but the women's section seems to have a lot of skinny jeans/trousers at the moment and they probably won't be suitable for work so I may have to look around a bit.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:I mostly wear women's trousers and MOH consents to this. In fact she's generally with me when I buy them. Yet a skirt .... Go figure. I do have men's trousers as well, a remnant from before I discovered skirts and wear them too. I have said that I wanted to integrate skirts into my wardrobe and I have meant that - addition to trousers not replacement. I'm going to have to buy a couple of pairs of black trousers for work but the women's section seems to have a lot of skinny jeans/trousers at the moment and they probably won't be suitable for work so I may have to look around a bit.
Have a look at peplum pants. Pants with a sort of micro skirt attached; could be a strategy of de-sensitisation of OH to skirt wearing ..................... or perhaps not; I really thought your prose would have softened the heart towards your skirts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Apparently not. Having worn skirts for 3 days straight as I was getting dressed this morning she said, "How many days this week are you going to be wearing a skirt? You can wear a skirt when I am not around." Purple jeans today - from t'other side of t'aisle! So it seems as if nothing has changed. Always hopeful but I never thought that it would. Ah, well.

Don't fancy the peplum trousers - too fancy. Anyway the peplum would get hidden by the T-shirt, shirt or jumper.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

For three months and five pages I've resisted, but now I have to ask: don't they squash your nuts?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtyscot wrote:For three months and five pages I've resisted, but now I have to ask: don't they squash your nuts?
I have often wondered that myself! :P
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It depends upon how tight they are. The critical distance is between the waistband and the crotch - if it's too short then yes, the RSO's are compressed. That's where women's trousers win a bit - that distance seems to be slightly more than for men's trousers and hence, on me at least, the meat and two veg are able to breathe a bit. The material of women's jeans/trousers is generally softer and contains more elastane which means that they "give" or stretch more.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As for the peplum pants, I will let those go. I am a simple man and wear skirts to cover myself, not as an accessory. The closest I’ve come to those are skirted athletic tights. I will wear leggings under a skirt but usually not pants, though with women’s pants, that can be a fine distinction.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Most men's pants are not "fitted" these days; we are not asked if we dress to the left or right. I find men's pants no more comfortable than women's in that area. That is why I like skirts.
If you really want comfortable pants then you will probably have to wear "drop crotch" variety. That is something I would be selfconscious about wearing in public (or in front of a mirror).

I can see that the peplum pants are not a hit - it was more of an excercise in semantics; gradually make the peplum bigger and the pants thinner and voila!; mini skirt and leggings.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

denimini wrote:Most men's pants are not "fitted" these days; we are not asked if we dress to the left or right. I find men's pants no more comfortable than women's in that area. That is why I like skirts.
If you really want comfortable pants then you will probably have to wear "drop crotch" variety. That is something I would be selfconscious about wearing in public (or in front of a mirror).

I can see that the peplum pants are not a hit - it was more of an excercise in semantics; gradually make the peplum bigger and the pants thinner and voila!; mini skirt and leggings.
Maybe I “dress” less boldly, as far as the angle of my dangle, than my brethren...or my dangle is a bit “more brassy” in terms of trouser discomfort, I really don’t know. But I seem to have fewer complaints down there. Maybe that’s one reason I like stretch pants, because they hold me snugly. I may have the same syndrome that some women develop with their brassieres, the feel of support. As long as the material is not stiff and unyielding I’m not often too terribly uncomfortable.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

denimini wrote:Most men's pants are not "fitted" these days; we are not asked if we dress to the left or right. I find men's pants no more comfortable than women's in that area. That is why I like skirts.
If you really want comfortable pants then you will probably have to wear "drop crotch" variety. That is something I would be selfconscious about wearing in public

Tights tend to head south over time. We've all seen women hitching them back up again. But that downward slide is what makes them comfortable, for me. The same effect as drop crotch trousers, but I preserve my modesty with a skirt.

If only tailors still made trousers properly, maybe SC wouldn't be around.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

skirtyscot wrote: Tights tend to head south over time. We've all seen women hitching them back up again. But that downward slide is what makes them comfortable, for me.
My experience is that Women typically buy cheap Tights/Pantyhose - which is probably why they don't have a good opinion on wearing such items.

I only buy Tights with a good Lycra content, as they are far more likely to stay in place for most of the day. My Wife was oblivious of such information, as she too tended to buy cheap Tights. Not anymore. It's worth paying a slight premium for quality Tights. They last longer and are much more comfortable to wear. My Tights tend to last far longer than my Socks these days!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I’m convinced that leg hair is a lubricant for the southward migration of tights. Before I began habitually shaving my legs, I couldn’t keep tights up for five minutes.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

dillon wrote:I’m convinced that leg hair is a lubricant for the southward migration of tights. Before I began habitually shaving my legs, I couldn’t keep tights up for five minutes.
Theory 1. You may find that leg hairs will be naturally bent downwards so they could have a ratcheting effect with movement.
Theory 2. Shaving obviously will prevent this and when they grow to become short stubble they may act like velcro.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As to shaving one's legs and wearing pantyhose/tights: All of the authorities thereon, women's magazines, manufacturers, etc., will tell you that leg hairs do cause the one's hose to slip off and that shaving your legs gives them a nice smooth surface to compress onto. The interstices between the warp and woof of hose isn't large enough for your razor stubble to poke through and hold them in place, so the smoother, the better.

I prefer the high Lycra or Spandex content (about 15%) because they act as support hose so your legs don't get as tired from wearing heels. Such hose also shapes one's legs and they tend to be more durable. I was astounded by how well the No Nonsense Shaping Hose stood up to my abusing them as bicycling tights and how well they helped me get through what was for me a particularly long ride.

I've also found that they tend to last longer if you hang them to dry rather than run them through a dryer and if you strictly follow the directions for putting them on (Look at one or another brand's website or google the topic.)

A few other things help. While you're shaving your legs, shave your belly as well. When I can find them on sale, I'll get the High Waist Style with the silicone strip on the inside of the waistband. You can usually find them on the Hanes website, though usually only black or nude, almost never both at the same time. If, like me, you prefer control top and support hose, they've got those with extra firm control to help you will ALL of your unwanted bulges.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've been shaving stem to stern since 2008. Definitely keeps the hose from slipping, and seems to reduce if not eliminate B.O. as well since bacteria love to grow in dark, damp environments.

OTOH I'll gladly stick with my skirts and dresses.