Wearing A Lady 's Trousers

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing A Lady 's Trousers

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Female Body is a different shape to the Male Body with wider hips and a smaller waist .
Has anyone succeeded in wearing female trousers with a good off the peg fit ?
One of the reasons for asking this question is that if one wishes to wear high heeled shoes ....
then female trousers may add style to the outfit.

Although it has been said that the female has stolen the male's trousers I do not feel that the
tight fitting female trousers would be a good fit on my male waist.

There is evidence here that although the female is wearing off the peg trousers , they are likely to be female fit trousers and not male fit trousers. .....This thought does defuse our suggestion that the
female is "taking the clothes out of our wardrobe."

In the same scenario I have been suggesting that If I wish to wear a skirt suit , then it would have to
be made to measure to my male measurements..

If I could buy a male Kilt off the peg, ....it would fit me.....If I bought an off the peg female lady's
Kilt Skirt it would not fit me ,
if I bought a large teenage girl's skirt.....the garment might fit me as the teenage female lacks
the size of the hips of a mature female.

In this post I am trying to consider the idea of wearing clothes in the style of the opposite gender
without actually wearing clothes made to the dimensions and sizing of the opposite gender...weeladdie
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing A Lady 's Trousers

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I have worn shorts from the female side of the isle with good success as long as they are hip riders, cut cut to sit low on the hips not at the waist. This is an old photo. The shorts I am wearing are woman's from the Gap.
Dick shorts A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

I have a lot of female pants that fit to varying degrees. Some have wider hips than others. Usually they have a higher inseam. Almost always they have narrower ankles which I appreciate. I am of slight build so I can fit into a dress size 0-6 depending on the brand. Vanity sizes. Ha!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:In this post I am trying to consider the idea of wearing clothes in the style of the opposite gender
without actually wearing clothes made to the dimensions and sizing of the opposite gender...weeladdie
There is as much variance in the female body-shape as there is in male body-shape, and the two do intersect in a few places. The modern "ideal" female shape (which looks suspiciously like guys look in their teenage years) yields garments that can be worn by guys with no curves to speak of, albeit in rather small sizes -- although sometimes this scales up rather well.

So, whatever side of the aisle it came from or what it says on the tag is largely meaningless nowadays. If it fits, and you feel good wearing it, wear it. Done. Just do so honestly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

To pick up on one of your lines of text -

"wearing clothes in the style of the opposite gender"

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, though maybe along a slightly different tack to that described in your post. I've been wondering how I would wear mens clothing in a female style. For example, skinny stretch jeans with a pair of Cuban heel ankle boots and a checked / plaid shirt (all men's items of clothing) or a pair of boots (Doc Marten, riding boots, motorcycle boots etc.) with jodhpurs and a denim shirt with sleeves rolled up (ditto, all men's clothes). I have Pinterest photos of women in the style described here, but I cannot post at this time as the wife is in the room :-(

The logical progression to the above is then to accessorize - add a scarf or a layer above or below (such as a cardigan or vest / tee / cami even?) and then maybe substitute one of the clothing items with a female equivalent - a sheer blouse or leggings maybe?

When I wore my 2 1/2 inch ankle boots out to work recently I noticed how good they looked with my jeans - rather than bunching slightly, the jeans extended to just above the floor, making my legs look really long. I have some trousers that are worn low on the hips with pockets and a cut like jeans - I think such men's trews would look good with block heels without the need to try to wear women's versions of the same, which are cut for a very different body shape.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I note that " Hipster style " female shorts and trousers will fit a suitably sized male .....I still wear my
trousers , Kilts , and skirts at my true waist. This position is at the indentation on the side of my hip
just below the rib cage. ,,,A male can dig his fingers into this indentation.

As an aside....the Male Traditional Kilt is supported by buckles on each hip...When the buckles are
fastened correctly they should support the kilt without any waist belt.

I have recently noted that the slim young lassies who are serving in the local supermarket café are wearing high waisted issue black trousers...this must be the latest style in female trousers.

Both the young males and female staff are very slim these days, before they get onto a diet of junk food.
When I was young the female figure was 36-24-36... this gives a small wine glass waist measurement.
My waist was larger at 28 inches and my hips were smaller at 34 inches.

I raised this thread as I felt a lassie would find it difficult to look stylish and show her female form in my
trousers.....It is one thing to suggest a female has taken the male's trousers ...and a different
kettle of fish , to see her successfully wearing trousers out of her male partners wardrobe.

There again , I feel safe in my summer skirts with an elasticated waist band.
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I saw a lassie in what must be this years autumn female fashion,...thick check pattern shirt,
sleeveless body warmer ,....black trousers and knee high lace up flat sole boots; fastened with hooks
and laces in the sixties style.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The other day at the GoodWill I tried on a pair of women's skinny Jean's just for the hell if it.

They actually fit really good on the legs, and comfortable as far as that goes....

The waist came just above my hip, right over the curvature of my butt. I was able to fasten and zip the fly, but there was NO ROOM for the manhood. Standing upright was tolerable, but when I tried to sit I felt the squeeze.

The pants themselves looked nice I think, but I was just too top heavy. Though I have lost about 15 lbs, I still have a little bit if a belly. I looked like a potato on toothpicks.

I think I'll stick with more fuller skirts to even my body out.

If I want pants, I'll just stick with mens.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

More than half of the pants in my life have been of a female brand. Mosr mens pants on me were too baggy for the length and less choice of colour. There is a great variety of body shapes in men and women so if the whatever fits .........
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for that Moon...I think many of the lassies fall out of their trousers when they try and sit down.
The cut of female hipsters is certainly close fitting these days , even on jeans.

I do find it perhaps hard to believe that the female can wear trousers with a male cut.........

I have never tried wearing female trousers.....weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:There is a great variety of body shapes in men and women so if the whatever fits .........
The above puts the matter rather succinctly.

To be honest, I never even contemplated women's trousers until acquiring a few pairs of the very wide-legged palazzo style ones a few years ago, but I regard those more as split skirts than trousers anyway because of the way they drape and move. However, I can understand the argument for, mainly because of the enhanced selection of fabrics, cuts, and colours.

On another note, mainly to have fun with the language and to split hairs, there are no such things as "lady's trousers" as ladies don't wear such garments; ladies wear skirts or dresses. Why don't they wear trousers? Because it's not ladylike. Witness the mindless power of convention and its stranglehold on us.

Here's a rare shot of me in action wearing a pair of my palazzos and waiting to ride the liftgate up:

That's about 900 pounds of computer there, hence the four guys. Most of my time out there was spent wearing skirts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:I think many of the lassies fall out of their trousers when they try and sit down.
Watch them for a few minutes sometimes. They spend more time pulling them up and rearranging them than anything else. (Yes, my blood still runs red and I enjoy the sight of a nice-looking woman. I'm not dead yet.)

Hilariously, they're mostly too vain to invest in a belt to hold the things up, never mind a pair of braces. Elastane can only do so much for so long.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I'm short, not slender but not overweight. More often pants made for women fit me better than pants made for men. The style I wear is such that I doubt anyone notices. I can only tell by looking at the size on the tag. I've been wearing "women's pants"* for decades. It's how I became comfortable with the idea that it didn't matter to me whether a clothing item was marketed to women or men.

*(really men's pants because they're mine, but once women's pants because they are almost all second hand)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If I want trousers or jeans I look first in the women's section. I like bright colours and can only get them there. I have no problem getting a good fot and over half my trousers now were bought in the other side of the aisle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like a growing number of men, I find women's jeans to be more comfortable than men's.

I had read that a few times and didn't believe it till I tried it. Because it's a lighter grade of denim and usually with at least 5% spandex or elastane, they fit my bottom and don't put my manhood into a fabric vice. All around, they fit better and are more comfortable. I've had great luck with Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda cut jeans. For skinney jeans, Levi's new line also worked very well.

Finally, for dressier occasions I recently bought suit separates at JC Penneys, a skirt, Perfect Trouser and a jacket and when I wear the jacket and pants, friends haven't recognized it as a woman's suit until I brought it to their attention.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.