Centaurs and Mermaids

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Centaurs and Mermaids

Post by oldsalt1 »

weeladdie18 wrote:With regard to the introductory post to this thread ; a mermaid is usually shown with bare breasts and long flowing hair....

I hope I am on the correct track with this post as I am assuming the originator of this thread was intending to clarify gender by
observations above or below the human waist.............. ...............weeladdie
I'm ok with the members of the cafe posting pictures with long flowing hair. But the last thing I want to see is a bunch of us running aroung topless :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by crfriend on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:self policing

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote: We may all want it but some of us are resigned to it never happening in this lifetime.

My theory is that visually masculinity and femininity are mostly upper-body things, and rooted in some rather ancient cognitive circuits not only social conventions. If it were just social conventions, the difference between top and bottom perceptions should not exist. I plan to exploit this to the fullest. :D

There are many times that I covet the whole feminine package just because some outfit or another looks so marvellous I wish I could do it, but basically I am like you and not comfortable trying to be what I am not (even for the sake of some really really pretty outfit).
I haven't given serious consideration to wearing the fancier stuff that women wear above the waist. I tend to get cognitive dissonance if I think of more than modest change. So, yes, while I like to see the fancier, prettier stuff on women, I'm not going to try it myself.

(There are some members who have much more of a flair for clothes than I do, so they can make something look good that I cannot).
Last edited by Grok on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I tend to dress in skirts the same way I did when I wore pants and shorts. I do int like the dress up type of clothes [ie: long sleeved shirts and ties, suits, sport coats and the like.] I hated when I worked in an office and had to wear a suit and tie. I can not stand anything around my neck that is any where close to tight. All of my neck chains are long and very loose. So if you are a casual dresser then more power to you and if you are a more formal dresser then more power to you too.
My motto is, if it is comfortable wear it!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:Interesting theory-hadn't thought about this before.

Regarding below the waist...an implication would seem to be that the rules about one pipe or two pipes is culturally determined. Or to put it another way, the question of one pipe or two pipes is decided by convention, not neurology.

Nice to have a bit of reason for optimism. :D
Yeah, though I would say "decided mostly by convention nowadays".

I think there are biological reasons that skirts remained favoured by women for a longer time, mostly related to the performance of certain bodily functions, but modern living has made that advantage mostly moot and what we are left with is pretty much mere convention.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Fred in Skirts wrote: I do int like the dress up type of clothes [ie: long sleeved shirts and ties, suits, sport coats and the like.] I hated when I worked in an office and had to wear a suit and tie. I can not stand anything around my neck that is any where close to tight. All of my neck chains are long and very loose.

Fred
I always despised those monkey suits.

BTW, If I were to try any type of necklace, it would have to be quite loose, not tight around my throat.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: wearing one pipe

Post by Grok »

Garments that hang from the shoulders would seem to cross over into above-the-waist territory. At least a few for men have been accepted by their respective societies. But haven't the most elaborate garments been worn by women?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

oldsalt1 wrote: I'm ok with the members of the cafe posting pictures with long flowing hair. But the last thing I want to see is a bunch of us running aroung topless
Opinions differ, I guess. I think men and women both look better topfree.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote: I do int like the dress up type of clothes [ie: long sleeved shirts and ties, suits, sport coats and the like.] I hated when I worked in an office and had to wear a suit and tie. I can not stand anything around my neck that is any where close to tight. All of my neck chains are long and very loose.

Fred
I always despised those monkey suits.

BTW, If I were to try any type of necklace, it would have to be quite loose, not tight around my throat.
I love the look of a pearl choker, and something close around my neck does not bother me, but alas my mirrors all completely disagree with me so monkey suits it is when when I want to look dressy.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote:I love the look of a pearl choker, and something close around my neck does not bother me, but alas my mirrors all completely disagree with me so monkey suits it is when when I want to look dressy.
For me I have no need to look dressy. At the ripe old age of 75 I feel I have the right to look any damn way I please. I try to look nice but not the typical male way in a dress shirt tie and suit. After I retired I never wore long pants again it was always shorts. Now it is always skirts and sometimes even a dress. I still enjoy going out and will wear something nice. I have several really nice skirts and blouses I can wear to look nice.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps there is something about crossing the isle in our style of dress as we mature into old age in our retirement from the disciplines
of a lifetimes employment .
Perhaps we, the retired males , will explore styles of dress more in the next five years of our lives ...............weeladdie
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps we, the retired males , will explore styles of dress more in the next five years of our lives ...............weeladdie
Why wait? I love it when a cause I am associated with has a formal event. It's usually expensive, but worth it; because I not only get to contribute to a cause I care about, but there just aren't that many places where a guy can wear his evening gown or one of his special occasion dresses.

Believe me, if it's compliments you're looking for, go to a formal event in an evening gown with all of thee appropriate accessories. You'll get 'em!

While we're at it, I'm surprised there's such animus toward tuxedos. Some of the best photos of me in my younger days picture me in a tux.

Finally, Grok asked if women haven't always worn the most elaborate clothes. Nope. Look back to the Medieval and Renaissance periods and the men had the fancier garments. Even in the Sun King's Court, the men and the women ran neck and neck in the elaborate dress derby. If we men weren't so eager to march off to war and then let our military training carry over to how we dressed in civilian life, that would probably still be the case. Short hair, pants and no facial hair are all male fashions that originated in military necessity. High heels too, for that matter, but since we don't ride off to war on horses anymore, shorter heels became the vogue, on the battlefield and off.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Funny, I've always been interested in woman styled shoes but have found all of them impractical for me. My wife wears the same size shoes surprisingly, and she has quite a collection. Any I've tried on, fit size wise, but just don't look good on me. I suppose it is the fact that they were totally designed for a woman, and the slender look is in.

What I am intrigued by is the men's shoes that have nice style, would work with my more masculine skirts. Things like loafers, slip on's and other stylish mens shoes. It works for me.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have small feet for a male....U K 5 1/2 or 39. ... this summer I have been wearing skirts from
my summer skirt collection . My foot wear has been my Roman Style female sandels or my school boy
black shoes , worn with or without white ankle socks, usually turned down.
Now that the cooler autumn temperatures have come I am now wearing my zip up , below the knee
black female boots with flat soles,to keep my lower legs warm.........
My claim is that I can wear this style of footwear without crossing the isle and looking feminine.

I was just wearing a summer skirt instead of a pair of trousers or shorts.....the reason being for my
personal comfort. ..............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Caultron wrote:
Sinned wrote:WL, a centaur is simply the body of a horse and the upper part of a man, torso, head and arms. No indication of horns. Usually armed with bow and arrows.
I've never met a centaur who didn't have horns.

Just sayin'...
It is worth noting that Lady Landra is a female centaur ........................
who has horns and wears a bra type upper garment and anther garment worn like a sporran.

Hardly a male figure from the land of myth and legend .

I suppose that If we were to take this thread more literally , then perhaps "Men in Skirts " would wear
two pairs of horse shoes .....................weeladdie
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Caultron wrote:
Sinned wrote:WL, a centaur is simply the body of a horse and the upper part of a man, torso, head and arms. No indication of horns. Usually armed with bow and arrows.
I've never met a centaur who didn't have horns.

Just sayin'...
It is worth noting that Lady Landra is a female centaur ........................
who has horns and wears a bra type upper garment and anther garment worn like a sporran.

Hardly a male figure from the land of myth and legend .

I suppose that If we were to take this thread more literally , then perhaps "Men in Skirts " would wear
two pairs of horse shoes .....................weeladdie