Amazon Echo Look

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Amazon Echo Look

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Wondering if anyone here has and uses an amazon echo look. It is an amazon echo with a camera that can look at how you’re dressed and offer recommendations or choose the better outfit, do shopping, recommendations, etc. It says the recommendations come from machine learning, artificial intelligence, but also a real stylist on the other end. Wondering how it would process us freestylers in here.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Echo-Look ... B0186JAEWK
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Amazon Echo Look

Post by SkirtsDad »

Wonderful Electric wrote:Wondering if anyone here has and uses an amazon echo look. It is an amazon echo with a camera that can look at how you’re dressed and offer recommendations or choose the better outfit, do shopping, recommendations, etc. It says the recommendations come from machine learning, artificial intelligence, but also a real stylist on the other end. Wondering how it would process us freestylers in here.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Echo-Look ... B0186JAEWK
Interesting from a technological perspective. I found a review that explains about what it does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_MOE-GQcQ

The way things are going, from what I can see, eventually people won't have friends. They will just talk to AI bots that will never argue with them and always indulge their egos.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

"I'm sorry, I don't understand" may be all that Alexa says when 'she' sees us asking her opinion on what skirt goes with what shirt or top :lol:
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Even without taking my nonstandard clothing choices into account, I have huge privacy concerns with Amazon's ability to eavesdrop both with microphone and camera, and their tendency to monetize all the data they can get their hands on. I'd rather attend a Klan rally in a pink tutu and waving a rainbow flag than give Amazon that much opportunity to intrude. Not gonna happen! :thumbdown:

That reminds me, I need to add tinfoil to my shopping list.
Ralph!
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

You guys are hilarious!

I think it’s a bit pricey for what it is
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

An algorithm offering fashion opinions....

Ghee... humanity can't even fashion their own opinions anymore, they need a computer program to do it for them....

The big question is... who's programming the programmer? [0]

If I like the way I look in the mirror... by God that's good enough for me.

[0] We need to get Carl on the other side of these things... he can hack all of the Alexias when it detects a male voice "I think you'd look better in a nice floor sweeper skirt, complete with contrasting waistcoat and ruffly shirt...." :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Ghee... humanity can't even fashion their own opinions anymore, they need a computer program to do it for them....
It's worth considering the tragic state of society (at least in these here parts) today where most folks don't have real friends in meat-space but rather "facebook 'friends'", where the art of conversation is effectively dead, and where almost all communication goes on via TXT SPK over handheld "devices". It doesn't surprise me one little bit that a computer to offer fashion advice would be brought into being. Who else are all these lost souls going to ask for advice?
The big question is... who's programming the programmer? [0]
That's a good question, and I'll hazard a guess the programmer is from a non-Western society, likely India. The question should be, "Is the algorithm (No, Al Gore did not invent those.) capable of "'thinking' outside the box"? I'd posit that the answer to that is, "No." What I'd like to hear the thing say -- just once -- is, "Yes, your butt does look fat in those jeans." (or a similar trash-talk narrative)
If I like the way I look in the mirror... by God that's good enough for me.
Ditto. If I happen to pick up some nice compliments during the day, that's gravy.
[0] We need to get Carl on the other side of these things... he can hack all of the Alexias when it detects a male voice "I think you'd look better in a nice floor sweeper skirt, complete with contrasting waistcoat and ruffly shirt...." :lol:
No, my look isn't for everyone, it's not even really for a few, it's mine. I'd program the thing to utter wisecracks like, "Ditch the damned Dockers already.", "Leggings again? What a lemming.", "You need a 360-degree mirror so you can see your butt the way I have to.", "That again? Sheesh.", or, "Oh, dear god, just turn me off now or put a hat over me."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's the way things are going, unfortunately, as folks seem to devote more importance to hardwear than people. I have a severe critic in MOH and inside my own skull. As Moon said, if I can look in the mirror and be happy with the way I look then that's all the advice I need. I take note of what does/doesn't work from posts on this site and adjust my look as I see fit. MOH suggested getting one of the devices and I just kept quiet on the hopes ( so far successfully ) that the idea would fade away. I don't need no freakin' device to tell me what to wear. And since I won't be buying one I don't really care who does the programming.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:As Moon said, if I can look in the mirror and be happy with the way I look then that's all the advice I need.
Of note is that mirrors LIE TO US because what we see in the mirror is as much of a reflection of what we want to see as they reflect what is actually there. This is why I advocate the use of photography when experimenting with new looks or purchases: photographs do not lie to us; they show us as we are, and sometimes that's a humbling lesson. No, the camera does not add ten pounds to one's weight, cameras simply record what's there -- it is we that add that amount and then blame the camera. (WARNING: This is not an excuse to travel down the path of eating disorders!)

I mainly use the mirror to find out how badly my shirt is untucked and how bundled up it is under my skirt which leads to unsightly lumps. (Go ahead, call me vain. I've been called worse.) I do NOT need a device with a camera in it that will submit it randomly somewhere for critiquing.
And since I won't be buying one I don't really care who does the programming.
But if I was programming it, you'd find the banter amusing. Ming the Merciless was a rank amateur and wannabe.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!