An Interest The Female Partner's Attire

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

An Interest The Female Partner's Attire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If the average female presented herself to her partner before she left the family home ,

either with or without her partner,and said " How do I look ? " .

Would we give them an honest reply ?

If they did dress the way we suggested, would the female out on the street now be dressed

the way we have now chosen to dress ?

I must remind my friends that the male and the female have gone through a reversal of the

wearing of skirts and trousers over the past fifty years..............weeladdie
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: An Interest The Female Partner's Attire

Post by beachlion »

My wife is not very involved with fashion. Being overweight will also not help. When we go out she asks of I think it if good for the event. When I ask if she wants a polite or an honest answer, she knows what is coming.
Before that, my partner for 15 year was very fashion conscience. In Montevideo, Uruguay, she was a model and the belle of the balls. So with me sans fashion sense, she was on her own. But every time I could say that she looked nice. She had good legs and was not shy to show it. Her skirts/pants wearing ratio was about 50/50.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I thank Beach Lion for his reply....A fair comment for modern society fashion. I am trying to establish

what has driven the male to explore skirt wearing with no major fashion trend on the street to drive him

into this style of attire. Going back to my youth in the country, many of the ladies who had worked on the

farms or with transport during the war continued to wear service style trousers or slacks in a working

environement. Most of the ladies who rode to work on motor cycles wore trousers.

I cannot remember seeing a lady who " went to town " or went out to social event in the evening

wearing trousers . However these ladies had traditionally worn skirts before the war.

As they were females this is what their husbands expected them to wear.

Horse riding ladies normally wore jodhpurs.

Teen - age girls normally only ever wore skirts and dresses.

There was no cross over in female fashion attire before the swinging sixties.

The adult male only ever wore trousers or perhaps shorts for sport or warm summer weather.

I cannot remember any mentors to guide me into skirt wearing.

It seemed to be more a cross dressing thing rather than what we prefer to call men in skirts.

weeladdie
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:?..I am trying to establish what has driven the male to explore skirt wearing with no major fashion trend on the street to drive him into this style of attire...
Good luck with that one.

The best I've come up with is, "There's no accounting for taste."

In my case, it was a life-long interest from age 10 to 65, expressed only in the last five years. But what motivated me to want a Scottish Boy Scout kilt uniform 60 years ago (a wish I never realized) remains a mystery.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am trying to establish

what has driven the male to explore skirt wearing with no major fashion trend on the street to drive him

into this style of attire.
I think there are different influences or reasons for each of us but I agree that fashion is not one of them as men wearing skirts has been out of fashion for a long time. My partner did not wear mini skirts since I had known her but she bought me one and I thought it felt great to wear, so much so that I was willing to buck convention to continue wearing them. Heather wore skirts (knee length) about 60% of the time and pants the remainder.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:[...] I am trying to establish what has driven the male to explore skirt wearing with no major fashion trend on the street to drive him into this style of attire.
As Anthony alludes to, the reasons for adopting such a contrary style are legion and, of necessity, from individual to individual. For him, the catalyst was that he found that his partner gave him (possibly as a gag) was comfortable -- so much so that he adopted the style for that reason. For me, the primary drivers were that I was getting entirely sick of the boring and uncomfortable stuff that gets pushed on men; I was after something that would be comfortable, use nicer fabrics than commonly marketed to men, and would allow me a way to show this off. All of those are why I avoid denim at all costs: it's coarse and scratchy, and one item of denim simply disappears into the vast and overwhelming-to-the-senses sea of denim one sees on the street. There's also the notion that I sometimes like being the peacock in the room.

So put 50 guys in a room together and ask the question, you're likely to get almost 50 distinct answers. There will be common threads, of course (bad pun intended), but the overall drivers will likely be pretty unique to each.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

weeladdie18 wrote:If the average female presented herself to her partner before she left the family home , either with or without her partner,and said " How do I look ? " . Would we give them an honest reply ?

If they did dress the way we suggested, would the female out on the street now be dressed the way we have now chosen to dress ?

I must remind my friends that the male and the female have gone through a reversal of the wearing of skirts and trousers over the past fifty years..............weeladdie
Your topic is "An Interest The Female Partner's Attire". I am a bit confused where you are going with this, or what you are asking. How does it relate to your establishing "what has driven the male to explore skirt wearing"?

There has been a decline in skirt wearing by women, certainly, but it's their bodies, their choice -I certainly would not be advocating anyone suggesting how they dress, but perhaps that's not what you meant. Regarding the men, given the many failed attempts to induce the skirt to the male wardrobe, and even gallant encouragement by members here, looking at the take-up, how do you see this as a reversal?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I also am confused. From the title I would have taken it that he has taken and interest in some of his partner's wardrobe. The commentary has certainly not followed that theme. From his initial post if his partner asks his opinion on what she was wearing then in all my years of marriage I don't think that I have ever asked MOH's opinion on anything I was wearing. As wives do she may have offered it unsolicited but ask, it never would occur to me. I put on my clothes and am ready. Period.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.