Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:All I can say is.... Jesus. It's almost inconceivable that this took place under an American flag. This is the type of thing you'd expect in the most totalitarian of states.
Rewind all the stuff you got shoved at you in your early school years and re-evaluate things from a blank-slate perspective. It's not surprising (to me) in the least that those incidents happened under the flag of the United States. The entire thrust of the "history" "curriculum" that you received in primary and secondary school was propaganda and indoctrination, pure and simple. I've seen that in black-and-white on a written page in a formal teachers' curriculum handbook [2] that I managed to access -- outside of supervision -- back when I was in my early teens [1]. I was a cynical little bastard even then, but reading that took it to a whole new level. The entire point of "teaching" it was, and I have to paraphrase because I read the original a good 45 years ago, was to "convince absolutely the student of the superiority of the American way of government and society". Even at a "tender age" I was positively appalled to see such a thing in print: it echoed Nazi Germany quite loudly. My old man, who had an Ivy League education (when it meant something) told me to calm down, don't let on that you saw that, and you'll understand it fully in a few years' time. He was right, and I believe I was right to be righteously brassed off about it at the time.
And yes, if you read the article, though many of us may not fall in the LGBT group, it is clear that there is no way in hell we'd be allowed to wear our chosen skirts during that period.
There was some experimentation in the 1960s and '70s with skirts for guys, mainly being driven by influences from across the Atlantic. I never saw a skirt on a guy (other than a formal kilt rig) until into the 1980s, but that didn't mean that there weren't assorted subversives playing with the notion earlier than that.

[1] I believe the Statute of Limitations has expired on that one, else I'd not be mentioning it.
[2] One has to love small-town carelessness from time to time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Carl, you wrote down what I was thinking. With 65+ years in the Netherlands and my first 10 years confrontated with the results of 5 year of German occupation, I think I can smell fascistic tendencies. I saw a lot of sync between the upbringing of the Hitler Jugend and the way the American youth is treated. Like the Alligiance to the Flag every day, Also the JROTC falls in this bucket. The mention of the American Dream is like a sausage dangling in front the nose of a cart dog and will guide you even further on this path. I'm glad I'm still capable of looking at the world through my European glasses. ;)

We are very off topic now.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

d. Everyone there knows that I am a straight married combat veteran of the Vietnam war.
from one to another A bit off topic but when and where
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There was some experimentation in the 1960s and '70s with skirts for guys, mainly being driven by influences from across the Atlantic. I never saw a skirt on a guy (other than a formal kilt rig) until into the 1980s, but that didn't mean that there weren't assorted subversives playing with the notion earlier than that.

[1] I believe the Statute of Limitations has expired on that one, else I'd not be mentioning it.
[2] One has to love small-town carelessness from time to time.[/quote]

I find the suggestion that
" experimentation in the 1960 s and 1970 's with skirts for guys, mainly being driven by influences from across the Atlantic "
is worthy of note .........................................................................
At one time " Men in Skirts " who were seen out on the street by their ......" Work Colleagues " ......
might be perceived as subversive and might be open to blackmail with regard to their professional knowledge
of the secrets of the country of their birth......
I have been lead to believe that Security Checks were carried out and employees were subsequently
claimed to have been victimised by their supervisors.

A further story was that one of the team was known to have been hopping in and out of bed with the supervisor's mother.........

So Ian Flemming's story of the pranks of Secret Agent James Bond 007 are not far from the truth.......
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Rewind all the stuff you got shoved at you in your early school years and re-evaluate things from a blank-slate perspective. It's not surprising (to me) in the least that those incidents happened under the flag of the United States. The entire thrust of the "history" "curriculum" that you received in primary and secondary school was propaganda and indoctrination, pure and simple.
Well, it seems the joke's on them... they brainwashed my generation into believing we were "free"...

Now that we're older, they're (the system) is getting all bent out of shape because we are demanding they make good on that promise.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is worth noting that in the U.K. in the 1960's and 1970's the concept of " Men in Skirts " was not simply a new fashion for men
but considered to be a direct link to the "World of the T.V."... and.. "The Gay Community ".

It might be claimed that we as " Men in Skirts " are fighting for our individual rights , but we ,as a group , or " Fashion Style "
are very thin on the ground........It might be dangerous for us to start waving our own flag as " The Press " may jump on the
Band Wagon and claim that we are political activists.

Stevie might be interested to know that in my Celtic Land I am letting my hair and my beard grow as protection against
the cooler winter weather.....this is known as..... " Getting Grown In For The Winter "..................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

With regard to Moon's post ; My Father is British and claimed that when the storm clouds of war were on the horizon in 1938,
he and his workmates were " Brainwashed into Patriotism " .... I leave Moon to work out who became rich and famous
while my father's generation carried out their duties to serve their King and Country in the War to end all Wars...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

weeladdie18 wrote:.... I leave Moon to work out who became rich and famous
while my father's generation carried out their duties to serve their King and Country in the War to end all Wars...
I'm afraid you mixed up WW1 and WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_war_to_end_war
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Picking up on Carl's words from earlier this morning (UK time), the sentiments of biased teaching are expressed by Tom Paxton back in the mid 1960s in his song 'What did you learn in School Today?', so perhaps the awareness of it is wider than one might think.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

beachlion wrote:

Beachlion, You have not quoted my complete post. You have to understand the psycology which was used to Brainwash
British Subjects of my Fathers status into Patriotism in 1938. You have to understand that the fathers of those gentlemen
served in the trenches in WW1....Do you understand the deal these British Subjects were offered in 1938 ?
Do you understand how they were betrayed by their Country in 1939 ? Do you know why the failure of one operation in which
my father was involved in was not disclosed until 1992 ?.....Do you know what happened on D Day in two operations ?
Do you know what happened on an operation on D Day Plus One ?

As far as I am aware The King's English was not the main language you were taught to speak by your parents before you
attended school. As far as I am aware you are not resident in the Country of your Birth.

May I remind you that the Wikipedia Reference you gave in your post is not written in grammatically correct and clear
English Language.

Please will you explain why you consider it is acceptable to insult me in this manner on this forum ?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

weeladdie18 wrote:
beachlion wrote:

Beachlion, You have not quoted my complete post. You have to understand the psycology which was used to Brainwash
British Subjects of my Fathers status into Patriotism in 1938. You have to understand that the fathers of those gentlemen
served in the trenches in WW1....Do you understand the deal these British Subjects were offered in 1938 ?
Do you understand how they were betrayed by their Country in 1939 ? Do you know why the failure of one operation in which
my father was involved in was not disclosed until 1992 ?.....Do you know what happened on D Day in two operations ?
Do you know what happened on an operation on D Day Plus One ?

As far as I am aware The King's English was not the main language you were taught to speak by your parents before you
attended school. As far as I am aware you are not resident in the Country of your Birth.

May I remind you that the Wikipedia Reference you gave in your post is not written in grammatically correct and clear
English Language.

Please will you explain why you consider it is acceptable to insult me in this manner on this forum ?
I'm too young to have been in the trenches of Flanders Fields nor wading through the water to land on the Normandy coast, but I'm interested in the subjects. I was born in August 1944 in The Hague, the Netherlands and for at least 10 years after WW2 my family was still talking about the 5 years of German occupation when they were together. That sparked my interest in WW2 and later also in WW1.

When I see a mis-quote I try to correct it as polite as possible because when I mis-quote I would be glad to be corrected too. I see that as a learning experience and not as an insult. Beside that, a Dutch trait is their way of being direct, not much diplomacy in their genes. Regarding the place I live now, I would have given the same reaction from any place on the earth as long as there is an Internet connection.

For the Wikipedia article, I'm sure the Wikipedia foundation will be more than happy to receive your corrections.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On patriotism and brainswasbing, as I reflect back on my school years I don't recall any blatant attempts for the most part. Looking back the only thing I recall was the basics, reading, writing, grammar, learning cursive (no longer taught it seems). Civics and social studies normally focused on the plight of minority groups throughout American history, particularly the African slaves and women (though technically by population, women are not a minority). Interestingly there wasn't much mention of the plight of other minority groups such as the Chinese first instance. Occasionally there would be a lesson on the natives.

I suppose that was probably "the worst of it". A general sanitizing and elevation of minority and special interest groups.

I'm not sure about today's schools, most teachers in the area are younger than I, thus making them millennials. I imagine that despite state mandates instruction, these teachers manage to incorporate their own flavor into instruction. Of note here is the far rights desire to privatize education, many who can afford it send their children to religious private schools, those who can't home school. Both are for the same reason, they don't want their children being brainwashed by the "Babylonian system". Which is an ironic conclusion as in the current day, the government has clearly selected its official state deity. Every school you enter in Appalachia proudly boast the 10 commandments, and of course the pinnacle of "American citizenship" our official motto "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Each effort to separate church from state is met with fierce resistance from local leaders and the general public. Few even bother anymore as the result normally winds up with the poor non-Christisn kid being tormented to death (sometimes literally)

As for the pledge.... it's funny, yesterday right after I read the latest comment in this thread, I entered a school at 815 am to work and over the p.a. was recited the pledge. Growing up I heard it every morning and never really thought about its meaning. It does seem rather silly to pledge to a piece of fabric. Of course also included are the lines "and to the republic for which it stands". I'd hazard a guess that few children even know what a republic is, and probably figure it has something to do with Republicans. I'm not sure than I have recited the pledge since reaching the age of adulthood, and as we know a minor can not enter a binding contract.

My allegiance is towards free will for each individual provided it harms no one. As long as my residence country provides such a framework than I will fight along side it to that end. The moment it becomes tyrannical then my support ceases. I realize that my flesh and blood are the property of the United States Inc, and there is nothing I can do about that, but my spirit and soul belongs to the universe, and no nation. Nations come and nations go... there are periods of freedom and slavery, but the spirit of humanity lives on. This too shall pass. What it passes into will be for our children to decide.

I am not an expert on history, and lose most debates on worldly matters, but I know my own heart better than anyone else.

The U.S. is a nation. But what gives it its soul is her people. When her people are corrupt, then so goes the nation The land in which she lays will yield to any flag. For it has only known old glory for a few hundred.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am getting extremely annoyed at the direction of this blog .This was started under freestyle fashion , it is not an not off topic political discussion I really don't think that it was beachlions intention to insult weeladdie , I thing the intentions were somewhat lost in the translation. If you want to make political comments do it someplace else. and before you start to make glib comments about patriotism and especially the pledge. I am going to quote a sentence from the movie " A few good men " "Pick up a weapon and stand a post"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dan, you hardly ever comment on my post anymore. When you do, it seems you've got nothing nice to say to me. For every hundred post I wrote, one or two may be a little provocative, perhaps too much I'll admit.

A post with pictures received no feedback, but when I throw in my two cents on a matter of patriotism, you want to bring down the wrath.

Alright I see how it is. I yield to the thought police.
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sorry Moon , I agree that You have a right to say what you want , My point is that it doesn't belong on a freestyle fashion blog about wearing dresses. If I wanted political commentary I would go on a sight dedicated to that area. And if you go back a while my last comments were on your posts about your meeting with the politicians, and If I remember I was very complimentary.