Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by Elisabetta »

oldsalt1 wrote:Moon my final comments First I never said you couldn't say what you want just not on a sight about wearing dresses. Second take your entire argument present it to your father in law . And as far as where my loyalties are , I have already proved that

My father and I are on a no contact terms. His choice. I know if he was reading this thread he’d have lots to say but it would be insightful and not negative even though what’s said Maybe in a sensitive way to someone. My father in ways would agree with Moon than in others agree with you but in the end there would be a mutual understanding.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:soapbox:
I have read the posts here and am really disappointed that one person is called out and more or less castigated for what he said by someone single person on this list. I happen to agree with every thing that Moon has said and I am very patriotic and 100% American. I found nothing wrong with the statements made in the context they were made in. I do believe in FREE SPEECH for everyone and I mean everyone. I do not believe in using that speech to cut down some one who is using it to show what they believe in.
If you don't like what is being said then use the private messaging and talk it out privately, not out in the open forum. It upsets the happy gentle tone that we as members of the skirt wearing public have tried to set as the standard for this forum.
Climbing down off of my soap box!
Now lets all go get a beer and be happy!! :toast: :pint:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Fred in Skirts wrote::soapbox:
I have read the posts here and am really disappointed that one person is called out and more or less castigated for what he said by someone single person on this list. I happen to agree with every thing that Moon has said and I am very patriotic and 100% American. I found nothing wrong with the statements made in the context they were made in. I do believe in FREE SPEECH for everyone and I mean everyone. I do not believe in using that speech to cut down some one who is using it to show what they believe in.
If you don't like what is being said then use the private messaging and talk it out privately, not out in the open forum. It upsets the happy gentle tone that we as members of the skirt wearing public have tried to set as the standard for this forum.
Climbing down off of my soap box!
Now lets all go get a beer and be happy!! :toast: :pint:
That’s exactly what I said a few post ago. Good day Fred :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Now lets all go get a beer and be happy!! :toast: :pint:
In a perfect world. :cry:

In a perfect world folks would be able to congenially agree to disagree with folks who disagree with them and to maintain civility and even friendship in the process. Every so often one still witnesses it, but it's become extremely scarce in the past few decades in the United States. Sadly, I believe that's by design.

Quite a while ago, a rather wizened gentleman in farewell remarks cogently warned of the perils of division -- usually paraphrased to, "Beware section and faction." Whilst that was well over 200 years ago now, it still retains staggering import because now -- more than ever -- we have become sectionalised to the point where the go-to reaction to any notion we do not hold is reacted to with immediate vitriol and overt rage. Instead of behaving like rational adults capable of a wide range of viewpoints and emotional reaction we have been reduced to the level of two-year-olds incapable of reacting to anything "different" with anything but a tantrum. This is profoundly depressing to any adult who actually studies history in the context in which it evolved. I refer, of course, to the remarks of one George Washington [0] [1].

One of the hallmarks that the original founders wrote into the Constitution (admittedly, in an appendix) was the explicit right to freedom of thought and expression. Where is that right today? OK, so we don't agree on everything all the time. So what. Imagine how boring a world it would be if we did. What happened to the ability to disagree on matters and not immediately take the low roads of offence and verbal assault? The departing first President of these United States was prescient of the future. He understood how republics fail.

[0] https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... ddress.htm
[1] https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... ddress.pdf
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just want to get this straight . If someone on this forum wants to assail my beliefs by making public statements , he is only exercising his right to free speech. on the other hand my only recourse to address the situation is to have a private conversation. So he has the right of free speech but I don't.

One other point could someone please tell me what I said that was a direct attack on Moons character
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You have a point there, Dan. But equally, Moon should be allowed to refer to the flag of his country as "just a piece of fabric".

All of this has merely served to back up my initial observation that Americans get worked up about their flag, while failing to explain why this should be so. No doubt your time in the armed forces has had an impact on your feelings on the matter. But I'm not aware of veterans in other countries feeling quite so strongly about their flags.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

May I be honest on something? What do you think the American Flag is made of if it isn’t made from fabric? I think when it comes to what Moon writes a lot is taken out of context because many think he means way opposite in his writing than what he actually means.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dan, I can't speak for others, but what bothered me was you seemed to miss the whole point of my original comment. Choosing instead to focus one one single statement out of a much longer post. With every attempt I made to clarify this, you just kept gnawing away at the flag statement.

Further, you never truly answered my question, which I believe is at the very core of this arguement, and that is, where do your loyalties lay?

Is it with a (the) flag? Or is it with liberty?

Incase I haven't made it clear already, I choose the latter.

You are welcome to whatever beliefs you want,

Hypothetically, if your government forced you to pray to a certain God, dress a certain way, and have certain ideals that conflict with your own, would you stand with it regardless, or what you fight on the side of liberty.

Consider this: The patriots that founded the U.S. were considered traitors and basically guilty of treason by the British crown.

If you were alive in 1776, can you honestly say whether you'd stand with Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and the others, or would you stand with King George III?

It's a bold question, because many inhabitants of the 13 colonies didn't want to part ways from the crown. I can not honestly say where I would invest my loyalty, I wasn't alive then, and I guess it would depend on my circumstances at the time.

I do feel a strong kinship to our brothers over in Europe, and am glad we have come to peace.

Going forward I believe there is a lot we can learn from each other.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

I’d really would like it if we could all get past the differences and get back to the Original post of this thread before all this lashing out gets it locked down.

Let’s come to an agreement and that is we all come from different cultures, lifestyles, backgrounds and opinions. At times in our lives we are going to hit where no one agrees with you. However I think that we should let bygones be bygones and learn to agree to disagree. I’m not taking sides at all I just think this thread has drifted so far down the wrong path that it’s a discouragement towards the person who started the thread. Relax guys come down off those tall high horses and let’s get the cafe back to something we all enjoy reading. :pint: :please: :toast:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just want to get this straight . If someone on this forum wants to assail my beliefs by making public statements , he is only exercising his right to free speech. on the other hand my only recourse to address the situation is to have a private conversation. So he has the right of free speech but I don't.

One other point could someone please tell me what I said that was a direct attack on Moons character
One other thing,

I am not assailing your beliefs, if anything I am simply questioning them. On multiple post I have stated you have a right to your beliefs, and on multiple post you have stated that I basically need to keep them off the dress thread.

You are correct, of course. This thread really isn't the place for such rhetoric. But to be fair, many members have stuck their fingers in this pie. Only one seems to be getting bent out if shape. Only one is making post after post to not speak on it.

You don't want me to speak on it, but yet you want the last word. Who is silencing who here?

Please, quote me where I have advised you to be still, or any variation thereof....

On the other matter, I don't feel you have attacked my character. You are a man, proud of his country and flag. That is admirable. I am not taking this personally. You clearly have a different perspective on patriotism and civic duty than I. That doesn't make me better than you or vice versa. We are both citizens of the same nation and enjoy the same liberties. I do believe your heart is in the right place, and for that I don't think you are a threat to western ideals of liberty.

You just have your buttons, and I managed to push one. Three pages later we are no closer to finding common ground than before. I regret the comment I made, not because I don't stand by it, but that it has further incited division which was never my intent. My colorful remarks are meant to be thought provoking, not divisive. Understand that my character is probably a mix of New England sarcasm with southern rebel. :P It has put me at odds with many on both sides if the Mason Dixon. You're not the first and you won't be the last.... and I'm sure the Europeans have no idea what to make of me... :lol:

I hope soon we can put this behind us.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, I'm sorry but I've just read two whole screenfulls of what amounts to a storm in a tea cup. I'm patriotic but to me the Union Flag [0] is just that - a flag. My allegiance is to the United Kingdom not the flag. It's just a symbol of the Union. But then OS does get worked up over things and becomes very vociferous. I've been attacked on this forum and, while it isn't very nice, I just let it all go over my head with little effect. BTW Moon you are entitled to your opinions and I will defend your right to free speech.
If others get upset then, like comments from detractors about our skirts, just ignore them. And Jenn good for you for standing up for principles and YOH. If someone insults the UF and my country then so what, it's only words and I couldn't give a sh*t about what they think. Their words can't hurt me as I know what my feelings are. And we have plenty of detractors and subversives in this island of ours. My attitude is that if you don't like this union of ours then get out and find one you do support. I'll bow out as I've said my piece.

[0] It's only called the Union Jack when flown on the jackstaff of the bow of a Royal Navy ship.

Anyway, back to the topic. I've started going out for walks around a local lake at night in a dress to get used to wearing one. It's dark or semi-darkness most of the way and I meet very few folks, mainly dog walkers. Tonight I wore a wine red velour mini-dress that I had to keep pulling it down as it tended to ride up into SD's territory. I wore thickish tights and a jumper and was plenty warm enough.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:My attitude is that if you don't like this union of ours then get out and find one you do support.
I tried but the referendum results went the wrong way.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

SS - love the answer!

Sinned - once again, I find your comments echo mine almost exactly. This is disturbing! :-)

Moon and Dave (pdx)* - lovely posts; questioning, insightful, analytical.

Dan - I’m in awe of your projection of fashion, which means I respect you a lot. I’m on a very different page when it comes to many things. I’ll make like a Dutchman - I’ll be direct (don’t you just love the Dutch?). You are proud of your country. I get that. But you are very very thin skinned. Us Europeans find the whole flag thing a bit weird in a worrying way. I was at a basketball game in Chicago, and I was taken aback when everyone stood up, arm across chest, and sang the national anthem in front of The Flag. I stood out of respect, but naturally had my hands and arms at my side. It felt a little “brainwashy” if I’m being honest. I instantly thought “indoctrination”. This was a bloody basketball game! Not exactly sending the troops off to war, was it? It’s not the European way. We have had so many scuffles and fights over nations, many of us are a bit weary of the whole thing. We’re a bit less nationalistic. If someone tried to play the national anthem at a local football game, they would be laughed at!

When I state this though, it’s not having a go at you. It’s an observation from a different culture. Look, I’m happy for anyone to have a pop at the UK or Scotland. I can take it. Bring it on. I'm just saying that if an opinion does not resonate with yours, it's not a deliberate assault on your sensibilities.

I’m rambling. Please try to be less offended by everything that’s said. I say that with some self-reflection as I get wound up when someone calls the UK “ England” - but I think I’m getting better! I no longer send death squads to the individual’s residence ;-)

* my predictive text came up with “odd” as an option. That’s cool!

Sorry - not a comment about dresses. I don’t really wear them. Kudos to those who do! That includes you, Dan.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

HA! I have to give Dan credit though, you haven't seen flag obsession until you've visited the U.S. south! Only it ain't Old Glory atop the flag poles!

Scattered along the interstate highways of the southern states, including Virginia you will find them flying proudly.

Though in my opinion that's just pointless redneck rabble rousing... a "true southerner" will fly their STATES flag, to which I picked up a full size Virginia state flag last year at a confederate booth at the Richlands VA Freedom Festival... yes, I was wearing a skirt too! I'm just waiting to scratch up a little coin for a suitable flag pole. I also use to quite proudly fly the Gadsten before the damned Tea Party hijacked it.

What is an American? Technically Canadians, U.S. Citizens, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc etc all all part of an American continent and thus, are "Americans". So Canadians live in Canada, Mexicans live in Mexico, Brazilians live in Brazil, what do we call those who live in the U.S.? In my opinion it's proper to call them by their state residence. Thus I'd be a Virginian. Freedom4All is a Tennessean, Fred would be a South Carolinian, Al would be a Texan....

Carl, Dan, possibility Jeff (Pennsylvania is a toss up), and all the others up there are typically known as "damned yankee's" :lol: :twisted:

:hide:
va_flag.jpg
I mean... look at this flag, a bare chested woman pins down Caesar. It's got all the elements of bad-assery, including, a MAN wearing a very short tunic (too bad he's the "bad guy")

Sic semper tyrannis

F---g A man!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Been a rough day I think there is only one way to get this back on target. I think it is a little to feminine and don't worry you wont push any buttons It has to be the lighting because the entire pattern matches the brown on the top
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.