Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Post by Ralph »

FranTastic444 wrote:I've posted before about a piece I read from a psychologist who reckoned that some guys dressed in the female clothing that they like to see women wear (definitely the case with me).
Eh, there are as many reasons as there are skirts! I suspect for most of us there are several interconnected deep psychological mysteries combining to create the urge. I tend to favor the ultra-feminine, modest styles of a bygone era (which makes it next to impossible for me to blend in as just a regular bloke in a regular skirt). Absolutely, I wish women still dressed like, for example, the women and girls in "Little House on the Prairie", but *why* specifically do I want them (and me) to dress like that? What itch does it scratch? Gave up trying to guess years ago, but possible contenders are it reminds me of a happier childhood, brings me closer to a long-gone relative who doted on me, it puts me in a more submissive frame of mind so there isn't so much pressure to "act like a man" all the time, maybe some deeply suppressed autogenyphelia (look it up if you're not familiar with the term), etc. Maybe one or all of those, maybe something unrelated.
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned
Congratulations with regard to your Grand-Daughter,she sounds cool but how old is she?
On the subject of tops, my take would be similar with regard to skirts.
If it suits, wear it, clothes do not have gender.
On the subject of autogenyphelia and yes, I had to look it up. I had it as a stage of my development but it came later.
At infant/primary school, I suffered from skirt-envy. I just never got my head around not being allowed to wear one.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

perhaps this is where the young male gets confused....Does he want to be a school girl in her skirt, ..or does he wish to be
a boy in a skirt ?.........or in the case of the young Scotsman ....does he wish to wear The Kilt instead of his shorts....?

However in some communities the Kilt is the exception to the rule..................
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, she's 14 so still starting out on the road of discovery. She's the closest to myself and wife and stays with us a couple of nights a week. Still girlish and definitely not fully grown up yet but then not without some worldliness. I haven't got the top yet, but that's not the point, the fact that she would even consider it is the point. I get the impression that she would go out with me whilst I was wearing a skirt and she has certainly seen me many times in a skirt.

As for autogynephelia, no I haven't got it. I'm not sexually excited at the thought of myself as a female. I like the skirts, tops and so on but unlike some I wear them because they suit me, at least I think so, they're comfortable and so on, but excite me, no. Yes, I've always liked girls/women's clothes right from Primary school, but there is no sexual link for me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned,
I never meant that there was any sexual connotation and I certainly would not discuss that here anyway. It was a part of a phase that I went through many years ago and equally I was never dysphoric or confused regarding my gender. It was simply that I became more acutely aware of the differences in clothing standards beteween male and female clothes in very early primary. I felt rebellious about it even then, I just couldn't give it voice.
To return to your Granddaughter, it sound as if she has wisdom beyond her years. Some adults could learn a lot from such as she.
I find your take on tops interesting because I tend to stick to the Guy's aisle for mine. I do cross over on occasion but I just never seem to find the "right" look in that respect.
My own goal for 2019 is to develop a "dress" look that is Guy Conducive. I utterly give up on masculine/feminine.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, the tops I mainly have are camis with spaghetti straps or vests, both from the female aisle. I have one or two other tops which I purloined from some bags of clothes given to MOH for our grand-daughters to look through. I bags first choice. I am early on the journey of sporting such fare but interestingly MOH hasn't voiced any objections to the tops I wear. Which has surprised me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned,
Our better halves certainly differ in that respect.
Mine has come to a grudging acceptance of the skirts but a strappy top, no chance.
I guess that half full is better than nothing which is where I was ten years ago.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I prefer tops which are a longer style and keep the male torso warm underneath his skirts....
The whole winter clothing warmth is achieved with multi clothing layers...........weeladdie
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:20 pm I stay away from tops with a low neck at the front as these are mainly for showing cleavage and a hairy chest doesn't quite look right.
I tried cutting a scoop neck line into an old T-shirt. As my chest is quite hairy, the appearance was quite unflattering. I think that this is a good reason why womens tops are much more diverse than mens shirts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have a foot in two camps here as I wear women's clothes when presenting as a man or a woman. I think blouses with darts at the bust can only be worn with a bra and breast forms - they would just look wrong on a flat chest. I have had my style done as a man and a woman and do not suit frills even as a woman. I reckon frills on a man look dissonant - much more so than a skirt or sheer tights. Deep scoop tops are meant to chow off a cleavage and if you don't have one they don't look good - this would probably be true even for women. I think you have to be quite young to wear a cami top with cord straps without something over it and they don't go with chest hair or armpit hair. I don't have chest hair and shave my armpits. I think men can get away with blouses in very soft or shiny materials as long as they don't have darts or frills. Prints are OK unless they are Cath Kitson floral. There is a huge choice in women's tops that offer a much wider range than male tops without crossing that line into looking wrong.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I purchased some new work shirts, cotton polo shirts of a colour that doesn't show up dust or other grubbiness too much. I like polo shirts because they have a collar which keeps the sun off the neck better than a "T" shirt and they have a limited amount of buttons and none where they are likely to get sheared off lifting objects.
There was a choice of men's or womens and as it was not a matter of crossing the aisle as much as a slight movement of the trackball, I purchased some of each. The site gave measurements so I ordered some XL in women's and some L in men's. All of the same brand and material.
Here are some results:
mens_polo_P2053534.jpg
womens-polo_P2053533.jpg
mens-polo_P2053541.jpg
womens-polo_P2053536.jpg
There were limited colours as I had discovered the special a bit late. They were all under $10 each and were good quality cotton and surprisingly made in an Australian factory. I went back for more after trying them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

TBH there is very little difference between them and certainly not enough to make me take a second look. As long as they cope with the daily grind of your work. Nice looking shirts.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

In addition to the shorter body, the sleeve length is shorter, too. Your tan lines are lower, so you could get burned in that funny little stripe on your arm between the two sleeve lengths. Be careful...

Also looks like more, smaller buttons, spaced closer together on the women's version. Not sure it matters, just an observation. Probably wouldn't notice without the side by side comparison.

The shorter body length does work better with a short skirt, untucked, I will admit that. But tall guys beware on the women's tops, you sometimes get one that is too short.

The sizing difference is more than you estimated as well, to get both to fit the same, you should probably go up another size in women's, and perhaps down one in men's. Sizing is a strange art...
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I have very little chest hair, but I agree that low-cut necklines are for people with breasts. However, lots of crew-neck shirts are somewhat uncomfortable for me (it’s a sensory-defensiveness thing, I’m averse to touch around my Adam’s apple). I’m wearing a ladies’ ‘boat- (or bateau-) neck knit shirt today, and that style is perfect for me. The color is ‘blush rose’, which wouldn’t be easily found in a men’s shirt, either. 🙂 Still, I consider the the style and solid color make the appearance unisex, not particularly feminine.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »