Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Post by denimini »

KenCT wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:57 pm I’m wearing a ladies’ ‘boat- (or bateau-) neck knit shirt today, and that style is perfect for me.
That top is a very good fit on you. Boat neck is a good compromise for comfort and not being too low cut which I also personally don't like, whether it is tits or hair in abundance.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:03 pm There is a huge choice in women's tops that offer a much wider range than male tops without crossing that line into looking wrong.
I think that some styles could be adapted for men. So long as they are not designed to emphasize, or draw attention towards, a woman's breasts.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_neck
"History

A striped boat neck shirt was used in sailors' uniforms by the French Navy in 1858.
The wide, plain neck was said to facilitate quick removal if a sailor were to fall overboard.
The style was adopted by the Russians and other navies in the following years.[1]

It came into prominence in fashion in the 1920s, and was popularized by Coco Chanel in
the '30s.[1][2]

In the '50s and '60s plain boat neck shirts were worn by artists, and became associated with
beatnik culture.[1]

Boat necks became more prominent in fashion in the 2010s as Meghan Markle was photographed
wearing them, in what some magazines claimed was a signature style."
The Boat Neck Shirt was started by the French Navy in 1858. The Shirt, originally, was not
designed for women, but women "adopted" the idea about 60-70 years AFTER men(sailors)
had wore them at sea.

So, even in the early 1900's, women have been "raiding" men's clothes for a long, long time :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ken, that's what I would call a bog-standard long-sleeved round-necked top. Not feminine or masculine and wouldn't generate a second look from anyone. Good choice and colour.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Thanks, all, for your positive comments, and thanks for the interesting history, Uncle Al. Sorry i forgot to resize the image down ...