When will men wear women's clothing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:When will we stop the nonsense of giving a piece of woven fabric a gender or a sexual designation??
I was once tasked with posting a series of photos of staff and students so that people, especially incoming students, could more easily put faces with names. That was a significant convenience for everyone since unlike a regular workplace a school has a lot of people who are there infrequently and on different schedules. So in the spirit of convenience I made the photos two separate lists: male and female. This allowed people to cut their time in half when searching the photos. In its second year of existence, someone objected to its "gendering". I was actually surprised it took two years before someone had that objection. I explained it as an efficiency thing, and nothing more was said about it (and I didn't change it).

The truth is that the vast majority of people do fall into the sexual categories pretty clearly. Gendering of products sold to them is an obvious marketing advantage, where the sex of the customer is likely to be a significant factor. Gendering is efficient, and efficiency is the main reason we gender. It's not going to go away, ever.

What we really have reason to oppose, I think, is the idea that we each have an obligation to conduct ourselves in ways that maximise that efficiency. If you are old enough you will remember the lament that older people expressed in the 1960s with the introduction of long hair on males (with The Beatles appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show). It was usually expressed something like "it's getting difficult to tell the boys from the girls."

The answer to that objection, I think, is "get used to it".
Daryl...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The logical position for us to hold is this: I own the clothing. I am a man. Therefore it isn’t “women’s clothing.” It’s a man’s clothing.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:The logical position for us to hold is this: I own the clothing. I am a man. Therefore it isn’t “women’s clothing.” It’s a man’s clothing.
Very well said my clothes are mine and I am a man so I do not wear woman's clothes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I read your post correctly Mike.....we have to go with the flow.........Men in Skirts will be a gender minority until The Men in Skirts become
a gender majority

However as The Female in Skirts is a gender minority ...It is unlikely that the Man in Skirts will become a Gender Majority.........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Folks accept me as a skirt wearing male in our community , so why rock the boat ?......weeladdie
jv88101

Post by jv88101 »

If it makes you happy, wear what you please.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, this is something new. MOH goes to the gym 4 or 5 times a week to do aquafit and I'm supportive of her for doing that. Well, the gym has a 2 week trial for £20 and again to be supportive ( she was really looking forward to me joining her in the steam room and jacuzzi afterwards ) I joined. While she was in aquafit I would try out some of the machines and join her after aquafit. Well I dug the shorts, socks and T-shirt out and I have been a few times with her. Well, today she asked me not to wear the socks. Were they outrageous colours? Were they too feminine? The socks are the usual cotton, calf-high with 3 coloured hoops around the top. It turns out that they are now old-fashioned and the trend is now for ankle socks. That threw me for a moment and I said that fashion meant nothing to me and I've not been a follower for as long as I can remember. Even in my teens I wore clothes that were unique. For example someone my parents knew sent me some clothes from the USA. One of the items was a pair of white jeans with black or dark blue vertical stripes similar to the ticking that used to be around pillows. I loved them because nobody, and I repeat nobody, in the country never mind my locale would have had a pair like them. I think that I eventually outgrew them else I don't know what happened to them. I have been that way ever since. Will I ditch my socks? Never!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Recently, I’ve started buying Skirts and Tops from the French retailer, LaRedoute - especially from their sales section.

Having signed-up to their newsletter, the latest edition featured a section on ‘Girl Meets Boy’. That is, masculine influences on the feminine wardrobe. In the interests of balance, it’s a pity that LaRedoute don’t similarly feature a section on ‘Boy Meets Girl’...

https://www.laredoute.co.uk/pplp/100/95 ... =noSorting
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Sinned wrote:Well, this is something new. MOH goes to the gym 4 or 5 times a week to do aquafit and I'm supportive of her for doing that. Well, the gym has a 2 week trial for £20 and again to be supportive ( she was really looking forward to me joining her in the steam room and jacuzzi afterwards ) I joined. While she was in aquafit I would try out some of the machines and join her after aquafit. Well I dug the shorts, socks and T-shirt out and I have been a few times with her. Well, today she asked me not to wear the socks. Were they outrageous colours? Were they too feminine? The socks are the usual cotton, calf-high with 3 coloured hoops around the top. It turns out that they are now old-fashioned and the trend is now for ankle socks. That threw me for a moment and I said that fashion meant nothing to me and I've not been a follower for as long as I can remember. Even in my teens I wore clothes that were unique. For example someone my parents knew sent me some clothes from the USA. One of the items was a pair of white jeans with black or dark blue vertical stripes similar to the ticking that used to be around pillows. I loved them because nobody, and I repeat nobody, in the country never mind my locale would have had a pair like them. I think that I eventually outgrew them else I don't know what happened to them. I have been that way ever since. Will I ditch my socks? Never!!!!
Interesting, if she got to know you while wearing clothes other than in line with what was to be considered "normal", Thus she fell for your uniqueness. Then why is she - YOH - so problematic?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

As a retail site I have found La Redoute perfectly fine. I just prefer face to face shopping is all.
However, I really doubt that we will ever see a male equivalent of the "boyfriend" marketing ploy. it has had an extensive airing on another thread too.
I still believe that clothing has no gender, simple.
Steve.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Yeah, is this post still current?
Anyway just read the Quora (top comments) on why feminine is not soft/weak but [also crying etc] strong.
It all resonates so much. :o
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

dillon wrote:The logical position for us to hold is this: I own the clothing. I am a man. Therefore it isn’t “women’s clothing.” It’s a man’s clothing.
Or, to make things simpler, it's MY clothing. No gender labels at all.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

This isn't a political statement, just what I see around me. While I have seen women wearing skirts and dresses, it seems to be the exception, not the rule. For whatever reason, skirts are just not as popular for women.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

lazerr wrote:This isn't a political statement, just what I see around me. While I have seen women wearing skirts and dresses, it seems to be the exception, not the rule. For whatever reason, skirts are just not as popular for women.
Perhaps it's just nature putting itself in order. It seems to me that women's body-morphology is well adapted to pants, and men's better-adapted to skirts.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:
lazerr wrote:This isn't a political statement, just what I see around me. While I have seen women wearing skirts and dresses, it seems to be the exception, not the rule. For whatever reason, skirts are just not as popular for women.
Perhaps it's just nature putting itself in order. It seems to me that women's body-morphology is well adapted to pants, and men's better-adapted to skirts.
I believe that women should be the ones in pants as they don't have the problem with the same undercarriage that men have, Skirts were made for men, it is so obvious.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.