When will men wear women's clothing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby jamodu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I discovered this topic of conversation on Quora, and thought others here might appreciate it...

https://www.quora.com/When-will-men-wea ... hing-today
jamodu
Active Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby SkirtsDad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Really good article.... but then I probably would say that as it reflects how I think lol. It will probably happen when men stop trying to cling to power.
User avatar
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby mishawakaskirt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 am

Women don't generally wear "men's clothes". They wear feminine versions of traditionally male designs.

I personally don't want to wear women's clothes, but since nearly no one makes men's skirts, or if they do they charge a ridiculous amount. We are stuck with kilts or shopping across the aisle. I find most womens clothes ridiculous, cheap and flimsy. I like to wash everything in hot water, dry on high heat, I have accidentally wrecked some of my wife's things that way. been in the doghouse several times for that. Every now and then I find a easy care practical diamond in the rough.That's the curse and blessing of skirt shopping, I may find only 1 in a 150 or more that I like and that fits. And don't dare try to find a second one just like it.

Mishawaka. The more I wear kilts and skirts, the more I hate trousers.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 pm
Location: Mishawaka, INDIANA USA

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby gudulitooo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm

There are Youtube tutos about it

"HOW MEN CAN WEAR "WOMEN'S CLOTHING""
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmSHiBJJsU

Maybe dedicated to young people and for decontracted venues, but nice.

Also there are some 1st april like links suggested by Youtube next to this video, I have yet to have a look at them..
gudulitooo
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby STEVIE » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi All,
With a very few exceptions and semantics, there is no such thing as MALE or FEMALE clothing.
A reconstructed piece of inanimate fabric cannot have gender!
I wear my clothes, how they are perceived is not my problem.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby SkirtsDad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 pm

STEVIE wrote:Hi All,
With a very few exceptions and semantics, there is no such thing as MALE or FEMALE clothing.
A reconstructed piece of inanimate fabric cannot have gender!
I wear my clothes, how they are perceived is not my problem.
Steve.


That is really the point... the article is about how clothes are marketed, not what they are. Therefore you can best read it as when will mean wear clothes currently marketed for women. That is why they talk about selling boy shorts, etc. to women. The reverse is still a long way off... can you imagine anyone marketing to men 'girlfriend's knickers'? There may be a market, but I'm not sure how many would admit to it lol.

When it comes to clothing, I am the same as you... I wear clothes. What I wear is perceived differently by different people but those perceptions do not usually correlate with my reality.
User avatar
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby denimini » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:14 am

SkirtsDad wrote:That is why they talk about selling boy shorts, etc. to women. The reverse is still a long way off... can you imagine anyone marketing to men 'girlfriend's knickers'? There may be a market, but I'm not sure how many would admit to it lol.

It is even more strange that most men and boy's are reluctant to wear "boy shorts".
SkirtsDad wrote:When it comes to clothing, I am the same as you... I wear clothes. What I wear is perceived differently by different people but those perceptions do not usually correlate with my reality.

I think that is the key to the whole conversation; let us all ignore the labelling and create our own personal styles. We will never wear women's clothing; we will just wear our own.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby Rokje » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.
I have 1 red dress with a hemline made from lace, wich is my favorite.

Ontopic: I wear a skirt every day :mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too :mrgreen:
I'm Marica, a 54 year old girl.

Walking on high heels every day 8)
User avatar
Rokje
Active Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Woubrugge, NL

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby SkirtsDad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 am

Rokje wrote:Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.
I have 1 red dress with a hemline made from lace, wich is my favorite.

Ontopic: I wear a skirt every day :mrgreen:


Oh, you've always been able to get it, the problem is usually the cost. Versace do some for £50!! https://www.farfetch.com/uk/shopping/men/versace-branded-briefs-item-12502080.aspx?storeid=9462&size=24&clickref=1011l4JISPXX

I was able to buy black lacy underwear for men 20 years ago for a very reasonable price but the label is too faded now to say what make it is.
User avatar
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby JohnH » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 am

I have to "cross the aisle" to get 40DD bras which I wear for support. Last time I went to Walmart I didn't see any in the men's section. :lol:

I however don't go for lacy underwear. My bras are plain and I wear Hanes men's briefs.

In my book underwear is something that is functional, not meant to be decorative.
Last edited by JohnH on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Irving, Texas USA

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby r.m.anderson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 am

SkirtsDad wrote:
Rokje wrote:Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.
I have 1 red dress with a hemline made from lace, wich is my favorite.
Ontopic: I wear a skirt every day :mrgreen:


Oh, you've always been able to get it, the problem is usually the cost. Versace do some for £50!! https://www.farfetch.com/uk/shopping/men/versace-branded-briefs-item-12502080.aspx?storeid=9462&size=24&clickref=1011l4JISPXX

I was able to buy black lacy underwear for men 20 years ago for a very reasonable price but the label is too faded now to say what make it is.



Maybe it was from Victoria's Secret but certainly not from Fredericks of Hollywood unless Fred had a UK store.
Does this faded label have a size number or designation ?
I don't know what came first the chicken or the egg;
but as for sizing by number or letter there had to be a starting measuring point - I don't think that one size fit all.

One thing for sure the unmentionables were unmentionable even in the good book - about as far as one can tell the
loin cloth was the fashion of biblical times for undergarments but even that is a wild guess.
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby crfriend » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 am

Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 9751
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

The only way I could wear womens clothing is if I stole some clothing from a woman. Anything I buy and wear is my clothing.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
User avatar
Mike
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: Alto, Michigan

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby Disaffected.citizen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:02 pm

crfriend wrote:Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?

Seconded :D
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 am
Location: UK

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Postby Fred in Skirts » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm

crfriend wrote:Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
crfriend wrote:Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?

Seconded :D

Thirded! :rofl: :hide:
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Next

Return to Freestyle Fashions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests