What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Post by Brad »

We all have our own personal reasons for wanting to wear skirts- comfort, fashion freedom, dislike for trousers, pushing the boundaries, to name a few. One of my reasons, although certainly not the major reason, is I like the attention I get from being bold and unique. We are turning society upside down on its head. A woman has the complete freedom to wear a skirt but she is just another woman wearing a skirt. But a man in a skirt gets all the attention. So what on the surface is seen as a right that men don't have becomes a benefit. But what if that was taken out of the equation? What if a man wearing a skirt was so accepted by society and so commonplace that a man in a skirt would no longer get the attention they get now? How many of you would still want to wear a skirt, or have the same desire to wear a skirt that you have now? Would any of you want to be just another man in a skirt?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think a big part of my starting to wear skirts was the Taboo and the fact that I was telling the world that after 70 years of doing it your way I am doing it my way. Now I love the choice the freedom and the ease that comes from wearing skirts and dresses. I honestly feel if all of the restrictions were removed and it became the norm I would discard every pair of pants I own. I am an accountant and I see some of my clients in skirts and dresses. I recently painted the entire exterior of my house while wearing a skirt. I posted a picture of my paint stained skirt on the cafe. Sure the original novelty has long worn off.But I dont't think they would loose there appeal
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

The reality for me is that I would continue to do what I do now and that is to wear a skirt when I feel like it or pants or shorts if the mood strikes. It is purely about comfort for me. I will admit the attention is nice though when I wear a skirt.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I would go on wearing skirts. For me comfort is the main factor. But I would go shorter. Then I would start dresses and try to get them as comfortable as possible.
I might go for slightly bolder colors but I will not go too wild. No red or yellow or flowery stuff. A pin stripe at most. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I would go on wearing skirts. One of the things I have moved towards in the last year was not weaning anything from the mens department from the waist down. Skirts, Leggings, Pants , Shoes and Jeans if I have to are all measured in Women's Sizes.
Basically I dislike wearing the standard Mens Uniform and have gone in a different direction.

I have also developed a dislike for Denim, so I avoid wearing jeans at just about all cost, there are other ways to provide the leg protection that Jeans offered.

:ugeek:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I believe like the rest of the respondents to the question, I would continue wearing skirts. The comfort I've found, and how that allow me to express things in an entirely non-verbal way are simply too compelling to abandon if the notion went main-stream.

One thing will remain immutable -- no matter how hard I try to blend into the wainscotting, it's just not going to happen. My physical size, demeanour, and general behaviour simply prohibit it. I tend to eschew the overtly casual, so even in y normal dress I tend to stick out, and the more elegant I take things the more likely I'm going to attract attention, which is sometimes a nice thing, and I can "dial that back" by dumbing things down somewhat. It's fun. Compliments are vastly more frequent than snide remarks, and that's a nice salve for a wounded soul. Wearing non-standard garb can be played any number of ways, from deadly-serious to outright laughs, and is definitely a conversation-starter.

So, yes, I'll continue to wear mono-tubed garments.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Comfort would still be a motive. I am not a fan of having a wedge of cloth in your crotch.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Brad wrote:We all have our own personal reasons for wanting to wear skirts- comfort, fashion freedom, dislike for trousers, pushing the boundaries, to name a few. One of my reasons, although certainly not the major reason, is I like the attention I get from being bold and unique. We are turning society upside down on its head. A woman has the complete freedom to wear a skirt but she is just another woman wearing a skirt. But a man in a skirt gets all the attention. So what on the surface is seen as a right that men don't have becomes a benefit. But what if that was taken out of the equation? What if a man wearing a skirt was so accepted by society and so commonplace that a man in a skirt would no longer get the attention they get now? How many of you would still want to wear a skirt, or have the same desire to wear a skirt that you have now? Would any of you want to be just another man in a skirt?
Yeah, I'd be happy to be just another man in a skirt. The thrill of the novelty and attention wore off pretty quickly for me. The satisfaction of rebellion is lingering a bit but mostly I just prefer the comfort and aesthetic possibilities. If pants were as easy to make as skirts I might satisfy some of my aesthetic urges that way, but skirts would still dominate my wardrobe by far.

I visited a womens clothing site today, a major chain, and found exactly 4 skirts total in their collection. They sell far many more pants to women than skirts now. It may be the case that the idea that skirts are "womens wear" will die, not because we will gain equality but because they will disappear from the marketplace and only exist as specialty items. We may actually be part of a skirt revival, not a revolution in men's garments.
Daryl...
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

This brings to light an interesting paradox. How many of us would consume the fruit were it forbidden? I for one would still wear them as it is more about comfort for me. Having said that I do at times like the attention and the thought of changing societal norms. There are times however when I just don't have the energy to wear one. I may want to, but for whatever reason of the moment my energy is low. For me it takes energy to wear a skirt. I have to walk in like I own a place.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

I would do it every day exclusively, and wear it in every combination. I’d wear a skirt with a ratty old t shirt and plastic flip flops for quick trips to the grocery store. Right now, I feel self conscious if I wear a skirt without coordinating colors, shoes and accessories like scarves or a jacket. It takes considerable time and energy. If I am going to be judged on my appearance, I want to do a good job. This is why I am such a fan of dresses. Just one piece to choose and then just shoes.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I would continue to wear skirts and dresses like I do now. I no longer wear pants and shorts as they are not comfortable. Skirts and dresses are so much more comfortable that I have decided that I will never go back to pants or shorts again. I did not start wearing skirts because I was going against society, it started because of a medical condition. But after that past I continued to wear because skirts are comfortable. I now wear most of my clothes from the woman's side of the store, they are so much softer than mens clothes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

As others have said I would continue to wear skirts, mainly for the comfort.

John
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

As everyone else has said, I would continue to wear skirts and kilts but would also expand my wardrobe to include dresses.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I would not change anything, its my life and skirts, dresses and kilts are normal for me.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The only thing that would change for me would be the assumed removal of spousal opposition. I would wear skirts more often, of course, but I would still wear trousers sometimes. And beachlion, I would still wear my colours blue, black, brown, purple, red, yellow. Don't be afraid to wear bright and you can still blend into the background so attired, especially in bright, sunny, warm weather.

Comfort would be the main reason. Once I had decided to wear skirts then the idea of two fingers to society, the thrill of doing something illicit ( wearing women's clothes ) no longer came into the equation. I don't feel any real thrill anymore - it's just become a part of me and completely normal now. So yeah, it'd be nice to see more men on the street wearing skirts but I would still know that I was the local pioneer and was through people like us that made it possible. Even if no-one else knew I and we would know and that would be enough satisfaction for me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.