Quotes on fashion

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Quotes on fashion

Post by Sinned »

I have come across some quotes from a site on fashion and many of them are general but the following I think really apply to us:

Fashions fade, style is eternal -Yves St Laurent

If you can't be better than your competition, just dress better -Anna Wintour

Don't be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live – Gianni

To me, clothing is a form of self-expression – there are hints about who you are in what you wear – Marc Jacobs

Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn – Orson Welles

Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment – Alexander McQueen

A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care and then forgotten all about them – Hardy Amies

To achieve the nonchalance, which is absolutely necessary for a man, one article at least must not match – Hardy Amies

Looking good isn’t self-importance; it’s self-respect – Charles Hix

All it takes are a few simple outfits. And there’s one secret – the simpler the better – Cary Grant

You don’t find a style. A style finds you – Keith Richards

Elegance is not standing out, but being remembered – Giorgio Armani

I want everyone to wear what they want and mix it in their own way. That, to me, is what is modern - Karl Lagerfeld

This one could do with a little modification:
I realised long ago that skirts are hopeless. Anytime I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, ‘Try one. Try a skirt.’ - Katharine Hepburn

Feel free to add any others that you find.
Last edited by Sinned on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Quotes on fashion

Post by beachlion »

Style is never out of fashion.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Unlike fashion -- which can be dated, style is timeless.

We touch on many of these themes here; some try more diligently than others to pursue some of them.

I like the Hepburn crack. It certainly resonates with me -- I find skirts more comfortable than trousers, and, quite unlike the modern "feminists" do not regard them as impractical or symbols of oppression. Perhaps she was a closet he.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:I like the Hepburn crack. It certainly resonates with me -- I find skirts more comfortable than trousers, and, quite unlike the modern "feminists" do not regard them as impractical or symbols of oppression. Perhaps she was a closet he.
I think everyone eventually gets tired of their clothes. Women get tired of their skirts and purses and heels, and we get tired of our trousers and clunky shoes.

And that's one reason styles keep changing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

So with the exception of my esteemed colleagues here at SC - WHY do men keep falling for the same ole same ole crappy twin pipes fashion ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:So with the exception of my esteemed colleagues here at SC - WHY do men keep falling for the same ole same ole crappy twin pipes fashion ?
1. Constrained flexibility (no guts).
2. Men's fashions change much more slowly than women's.
3. More worried about machismo than fashion (no guts).
4. Reject the idea of gaudy plumage being the birthright of their sex (no guts).

The designers keep trying, much more than I used to think. Here are some 850 example spread over 10-15 years:

https://pin.it/pwearn3244hwzl

And yes, most of these are ridiculous. One article I found recently wondered if the designers were trying crazy ideas at random hoping that someday, somehow, something would catch on. It'd be interesting to know his many skirts-for-men they actually sold. Probably near zero. But they keep trying...

But I like to thing that someday it'll happen, and in styles and for reasons we can't imagine. It'll be like earrings for men suddenly being acceptable some 25 years ago.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Most of the designs on that site were terrible, wrong combinations of colour/length/style. No wonder most men do not try skirts!

John
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

john62 wrote:Most of the designs on that site were terrible, wrong combinations of colour/length/style. No wonder most men do not try skirts!
Come on! Half of them aren't half-bad. There are certainly many I don't care for, but appreciate the sense of freedom to wear such things.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Went on sight I would say 10 % are reasonable maybe another 10% are possible . The remaining 80% would be better titled how to look like an idiot . I realize designers are always trying to stretch the limit. We are trying to convince men that it is ok to wear a skirt . If you showed a possible convert that this is how he would to have to look he would laugh in your face
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Agreed, many of these designs seem ridiculous, and just as many more ugly. They're not intended to end up at Kohl's or Walmart. That's why I wonder who buys these things, if anyOne. Is there really some ritzy segment out there where men show up in these outfits and try to outdo each other? Like jet set parties or country club galas or charity balls? Cuz I'm thinking not...

So why do the designers keep showing men in skirts at all? I suppose there's some vain hope that someday something will catch on, and when it does, each designer wants their name on it. And I suppose the designers want to give the fashion reporters something to write about, and they want the attention that comes from being outlandish and from competing against each other.

But the interesting thing to me is how many designers are doing it, and have done so for many years. It shows that there is a lasting undercurrent, interest, and acceptance (even if underground) of men in skirts that keeps trying to come out. It's another force making the idea of men wearing skirts less and less unthinkable.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Another interesting board may be Men in Kilts - Celebrities at

https://pin.it/67wxi5lre5lxxo

Now, a lot of these figures are Scottish or at least British, but there are celebrities from the US and from other countries as well. I suppose they're just trying to attract attention and not habitual kilt wearers, but here again, the idea of men wearing skirts (including kilts) is becoming less and less unthinkable.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:The designers keep trying, much more than I used to think. Here are some 850 example spread over 10-15 years:

https://pin.it/pwearn3244hwzl
There were some good ones in there.

One thing I notice on a lot of catwalk models pertaining to M.I.S., is the "top heavy" look. They have enormous torsos and upper halves sitting atop of a small mini skirt. To me, it looks unbalanced. As some of you know I dig the "lamp shade" look on skirts, and feel the look better (on men and women) when they flare out. The bottom hem should always be much wider than any other part of the body. But that's just my opinion. Men typically have broader shoulders and upper halves, and IMO would be better to wear a skirt with a wide hem to balance the look out, maybe even employing a petticoat.

Also, I think skirts look better when they're not paired with a top that practically reaches down to the knees. Too often male tops are just too long, also giving an unbalanced look...

Example:
Uhhh.... no...

Much better! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote: And yes, most of these are ridiculous. One article I found recently wondered if the designers were trying crazy ideas at random hoping that someday, somehow, something would catch on. It'd be interesting to know his many skirts-for-men they actually sold. Probably near zero. But they keep trying...

But I like to thing that someday it'll happen, and in styles and for reasons we can't imagine. It'll be like earrings for men suddenly being acceptable some 25 years ago.
If anything catches on, I expect it will be a garment meant to be worn in the real world.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:If anything catches on, I expect it will be a garment meant to be worn in the real world.
For sure, I'd expect anything that catches on to be considerably toned down from the styles that appear on the runways.

And only a small percent of the designer styled have a chance of catching on at all. The designers are out for the fame and glory of being trend setters and there's none of that in designing clothes for Kohl's or Wallmart.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I figure that if any new design becomes popularized, the product will come from a small outfit, such as Skirtcraft, or Macabi, or kilt vendors. Outfits which try to come up with garments that can be worn in the real world.