First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by Sinned »

I have got my thick black tights from Home Bargains and they are long enough, long-lasting and particularly warm. They are durable and wash/dry well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Coder wrote:
Also in a cold climate (but not as cold) - look at fleece-lined tights. They come in different thicknesses, although read reviews if there are any as they tend to be short and not have a lot of stretch.
Ah, thanks for the info: I saw one pair of those when I bought some of the sweater tights, but it was size 'small'; it seemed less thick but denser, so maybe just as warm, if I can find them in a 'medium'. The sweater-knits have lots of stretch, so fit is not as critical.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I wear compression tights almost every day,
All of mine are black and compression tights have saved my legs,
In the heat of summer kilt or skirt looks just fine with tights,
Only thing that i hate is when working i still wear thick jeans for
protection, As steel is sharp and anything lose can get snagged or hook into,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I mostly wear 80 denier tights. Black most of the time but I also have some in green, red and blue.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My wife was delving into something that hadn't been opened for 20 years and presented me with a bag full of her tights, still in their wrappings. All low denier nude colour. I'll look at them tomorrow.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In the Vietnam War the Americans bombed large swathes of forest with Napalm, a powerful defoliant.

My Neanderthal leg-penumbra could probably do with something similar, but I make do with thick opaques, frequently 'tan' or flesh coloured.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Sinned wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:34 am My wife was delving into something that hadn't been opened for 20 years and presented me with a bag full of her tights, still in their wrappings. All low denier nude colour. I'll look at them tomorrow.
Result! As long as your leg hair isn’t too hirsute ;-)

About 6 years ago, I received similar from my wife - but open, black and opaque. They were all Wolford tights though (£20+ per pair) so I was delighted.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ray, £20 a pair, I balk at paying that sort of money for any item of clothing, much less tights. For that amount I can get 5 pairs and they still last me ages.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dennis, it’s worth it. Less, but better. These are opaques, and they stay brilliant for a long long time.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:39 pm Ray, £20 a pair, I balk at paying that sort of money for any item of clothing, much less tights. For that amount I can get 5 pairs and they still last me ages.
$26 a pair? That’s too rich for my blood as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I won’t buy cheap stuff. I’ll go without rather than get throwaway rubbish. Typically Min £8 for sheer tights, £60 for shoes, £15 for skirt (Tu, otherwise £30), £300 for suits, £400 for a kilt. Oh, and £15 for a bottle of wine.

As I say, less….but better. The stuff has to last though otherwise I really AM throwing my money away. Okay, the wine doesn’t last…

That’s me. Your path in life may differ.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I've thrown a good bit of money away on cheap stuff. Second hand skirts, jackets, shoes, etc.

But I've learned a lot from them. I don't always know what I'm looking for, so buying cheap to try out can be smart. If I knew what I wanted and would work, I might have saved money buying just a couple really good pieces new.

But I couldn't have, because the ones I thought were winners often weren't. And ones I thought might just be okay, have sometimes turned into favorites. I've learned a lot as a result. That it priceless.

If you are still learning and experimenting, cheap second hand stuff is often the way to go.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Typically Min £5 or so for a pack of sheer tights, £3 for opaques for winter, £30 for shoes, more for decent trainers, £5 for skirt anybody, suits I really have no need of but I wouldn't pay that, a kilt I have only one of and my wife paid nothing like that on ebay. Oh, and maybe up to £10 for a bottle of wine. Us Yorkies are not known for throwing money away. Quality doesn't always come with an increased price. Most of my clothes have come from charity shops with a substantial number being 20, 30, 40 years old. I have a Snoopy T-shirt that I bought in 1977, my clothes don't wear out very easily. I buy timeless pieces that don't date and wouldn't give a sh*t even if they did. I've never been a follower of fashion but I've never been pulled up for being unfashionable.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Good riposte, Dennis.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Who not skirted, I'm wearing leggings.
New York Times ran a neat little article on Monday, April 18, page A3,
by Vanessa Friedman in her Open Thread newsletter. It's all about
how leggings have caught on, big-time and world-wide, as outerwear
for men. Leggings have always been hovering in the background as
athletic wear and historical costume, and, of course, they are worn
unanimously by women and girls. A lot of men want to experiment
with leggings and are concerned with too much "exposure." Friedman
mentions celebrities, rock stars, and fashion designers who have been
promoting leggings, and suggests a "layering piece" such as shorts or an
extra-long t-shirt or tank. She says, "That way you can have your super-
skinny stretch comfort pants and cover up a bit, too." She also says
the cover-ups may become increasingly irrelevant.
As for me, I do wear long-tail t-shirts as personal preference, but even
so I don't think I'm capable of shocking anybody with my choice of super-
comfortable lower garments. As with my choice of skirts, nobody ever
seems to notice.