First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by jamodu »

Buy thicker Denier, say 60 or more, and it will be less obvious that you're wearing Tights.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

For some reason you will not always find the denier indication of tights on the USA packages. The one in my picture seems to be 70 denier and the skin and hairs of my legs are almost invisible. Only when I bend my knee it shows a little pink.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

jamodu wrote:Buy thicker Denier, say 60 or more, and it will be less obvious that you're wearing Tights.
Well, that depends on what colour they are! I have a red pair and nobody has ever mistaken them for my bare legs.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Thicker is better, IMO. Leg hair visible through tights is not a good look.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

skirtyscot wrote:Thicker is better, IMO. Leg hair visible through tights is not a good look.
That is why I try to get 100 den or something close to it. If I shave my legs, I have to sleep in the doghouse. :wink:
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

As winters sets in, I go from 40 to 100 to 150 then 300 den. 300 den is Nora Batty style. For those in USA search --Last of the Summer Wine. lol
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Weather must be colder than I thought in Wales, Gregg. Either that or you feel the cold more than I do. I have one really thick pair - 200d I think - and I hardly ever wear them because I get too hot.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That must be the Gulf Stream in Kilbride, SkS. Me, I've nothing thick and go for two pairs if necessary.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Working outside in my working life, unloading all sorts of general cargo off my truck, I never really felt the cold. At 71, I have started to feel it a bit now. It is not so much the cold, as the cold winds.. 300 den stop the cold wind well.
I used to go to work on a Kawasaki Gt 750- afternoons into nights. I would wear a work shirt, jumper, work jacket, bodywarmer and a big yellow reflective coat.( Plus 40 den tights- hadn't found the thicker ones then :mrgreen: ). In the summer, I got a bit warm, but coming home at 2-4 am in morning it was really cold. Had the mickey taken because of all the clothes, but when I explained, they saw the light.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Up this morning and it's 1C outside with a max of 9. That means tights under suit. 10c or below is my cut-off point. 40 denier. Perfect.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I have MS: one of its symptoms (for me, at least) is that oftentimes I can't regulate the temperature in my legs. So, I have little choice but to wear Tights for most of the cooler months.

Plus, each individual leg hair acts as though it's an individual needle pushing into your legs. So, shaving legs is essential. Support Tights also greatly alleviates such symptoms.

Also, it's a perfect excuse for wearing Skirts/Dresses.

That is, if I permit my leg hair to grow too long, wearing trousers/pants/slacks (choose you preferred option) makes wearing such items on their own intolerable.

I would also suggest to others that leg shaving is a great method in preventing your Tights from slipping down (due to your leg hair).
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Today was quite chilly and I was all day in jeans. Around 9PM I was about to go out to get some pizzas. A nice moment to get used to the feeling of wearing tights. I put the tights on and my jeans. When I started to walk it felt if I was without any pants. I did not feel the fabric of the jeans against my legs. A very strange feeling but not unpleasant.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...A very strange feeling but not unpleasant.
Yes, I found the same.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Lots of guys wear tights. It's not as jarring to the public as a man wearing a skirt. I see guys all the time wearing tights under shorts. I don't know if they go all the way to the waist though so I suppose they could just be really long socks.

Oh well
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Next time, wear a skirt with your tights. It'll be much better!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair