First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Tights, pantyhose, etc. as far as I am concerned are not comfortable and defeat the benefits of a skirt. :evil:
It also makes it harder to use the bathroom. :(
If I need to keep warm I wear a longer skirt or add a slip to what ever I am wearing. :D
And above all they are bifurcated garments. :evil:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

A thin, stretchy layer is far different from a stiff inseam. Things get caught on that inseam, where something stretchy and form fitting, while not as comfy a as nothing at all, is still a massive improvement.

And while I'd love to be able to wear just a skirt in the summer, pantyhose and a short skirt would be a huge step in the right direction compared to thin men's socks (which are still far thicker) and long pants. I've gone to "women's" trouser socks almost exclusively l when I need to wear pants, no matter the time of year. The exception being when I'm wearing athletic shoes with no show socks.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:20 pm Tights, pantyhose, etc. as far as I am concerned are not comfortable and defeat the benefits of a skirt. :evil:
It also makes it harder to use the bathroom. :(
sounds like you need to try some stockings rather than pantyhose/tights...They're probably ideal.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:28 pm

I have tried tights, leggings, pantyhose. And don't care for any of them. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. Tights are clearly not for you. Each to his own.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

I have some Glamory Men's tights which have a Y-front in them. Combined with a skirt worth buttons up the front, I could use the urinals just the same as if I was in regular jeans. I haven't though... I always use a cubicle because... I don't want the attention :?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

nzfreestyler wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:34 am
Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:20 pm Tights, pantyhose, etc. as far as I am concerned are not comfortable and defeat the benefits of a skirt. :evil: It also makes it harder to use the bathroom. :(
sounds like you need to try some stockings rather than pantyhose/tights...They're probably ideal.
On the occasion that I wear hose. It will be either knee high stockings or full length stockings. I do not normally wear stockings or socks. Other than when I go out of the house I am barefoot, I have been this ways since I can remember I have never liked shoes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

For me, I MUST wear compression hose. Seldom a day goes by that I don't.
I wear the 'Over-the-Calf' style, AND have worn full P-Hose. These all have
medical grade compression. My Doctor told me I needed a higher compression,
then I told her that I was wearing the highest compression offered by the
company. Then she said to get a size smaller.

This worked out great for the 'O-T-C' hose but the P-Hose will not go over
my Santa Belly and they keep rolling down. As for 'comfort', when the P-Hose
is pulled high enough up on the legs, the crotch fits 'snugly' and supports 'things',
and after about 4 or 5 minutes, it's just like wearing regular briefs. It's just
something one has to get used to, then it becomes 'Second Nature'.

Yes, I enjoy the concept(comfort) of being 'commando' but health priorities have
eliminated that for me. I take blood thinners, daily. I don't object to a bit of
physical discomfort if it means I can have a healthier life. There are a 'few'
exceptions that I indulge in during late spring and early fall. Having an 8' tall
privacy fence around my back yard, two or three times a year, I will enjoy a cup
of coffee wearing my Birthday Suit. This is for a Short Time Only - until the cup
is empty. Then, it's back into the house. At my age, I won't take chances on
getting skin cancer, or other sun related problems.

For the past 1.5 to 2 years, I've let the house go. Haven't done any cleaning, per se.
Now, I have to get my self disciplined to stay off the computer and get stuff
cleaned up, and done around the house.

Anyway, back to wearing tights - It is just another 'sensation' you have to get used too.
Once you get your mind wrapped around the idea, IT IS NOT REALLY A PROBLEM :!:

Remember - KEEP AN OPEN MIND, as we tell others when asked "Why" about wearing a skirt.

Just mu $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’m with Midas. If you don’t like hosiery, don’t wear it. Go bare legged.

For those who just don’t get it, that’s okay too. I personally find the tactility to be fantastic for both sheer and opaque hosiery, and they work so well with skirts, from both a visual and comfort perspective.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I will posit a question, or two, to the members who don't like / can't stand / P-hose or Tights.

Have you ever worn "Long Johns" to keep your legs warm when outside in the dead of Winter :?:

How long did it take you to get used to wearing the "Long Johns" :?:

Were you uncomfortable wearing them, even though they kept your legs warm :?:

To me, there isn't any difference between P-hose, Tights or "Long Johns".
Many "Long Johns" do have feet in them, just like footed tights and P-hose.

From Personal Experience :arrow: When I was in grade school, I would go outside
to play after getting home from school. If school was cancelled due weather conditions,
I would dig tunnels in the large snow drifts. Anyway, I told my mom that I didn't think
I needed the Long Johns as I wasn't planning on being out in the cold for any length
of time. Well, sure enough, time got away from me and when I got home, and peeled
off my jeans, my legs were RED, just like a freshly cooked lobster :!:

My body temperature(legs) was near 40 degrees F instead of the 98.6 for a normal body temperature.
THERE ARE BENEFITS to wearing tights and P-hose, and you CAN make them look good with your outfit :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I know the subject is tights but as is so often the case with SC we have had a wee bit of drift though less than usual as we are still on leg coverings. I usually wear tights (sheer or opaque up to 40d) with skirts and dresses except in warm weather when I go bare-legged. My reason for this post is to recommend women's socks for everyday wear. The ones I wear are black knee-highs from John Lewis. They look just like male socks but are so much more comfortable. I buy them in bulk - always black - so no losing one of a pair and no sorting required - makes life much easier.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I haven't a problem with tights and in winter wear the thicker variety for additional insulation whether wearing skirt or trousers. I do like the smooth tactility of the lower denier hosiery. I do also enjoy the thigh highs and am considering purchasing some knee highs. As I get older I am finding a loss in flexibility and putting on shoes and socks more difficult.

As has been said, if you can't get along with wearing hose, then don't. Pointless if you find them uncomfortable but bear in mind that others will disagree with you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:40 am My body temperature(legs) was near 40 degrees F instead of the 98.6 for a normal body temperature.
The hikers among us may appreciate this, "wool saves, cotton kills". Your cotton denim jeans got wet and the cloth lost its insulating properties.
I'm guessing you learnt your lesson which is all good.
On the subject of tights/pantyhose, I go up to 30 or 40 denier and bare in warmer weather but never knee high socks.
Just not for me is all, choice is what the whole thing is about anyway.
Steve.
quantum

Post by quantum »

I usually buy my hosiery from https://www.thetightspot.com/ (I'm in the UK), and, only today, noticed that they have a section called 'Tights for Men' within their 'Tights' menu. Some less-than-usual tights are available.
--
Ian
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I prefer skirts no longer than just below the knee. For our former home, Connecticut, knee-high socks were warm enough on many winter days, but here in Minnesota, there are very few such days. Therefore, my first purchases of tights this winter - they are 'sweater knits' and comfortable down to -15C or so. Colder than that, and I put on the trousers. Haven't had the sweater knits long enough to report on durability, but they come through laundering OK, washed in a mesh bag, and then dried on a rack. They come in flat or patterned knits.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

KenCT wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:56 pm I prefer skirts no longer than just below the knee. For our former home, Connecticut, knee-high socks were warm enough on many winter days, but here in Minnesota, there are very few such days. Therefore, my first purchases of tights this winter - they are 'sweater knits' and comfortable down to -15C or so. Colder than that, and I put on the trousers. Haven't had the sweater knits long enough to report on durability, but they come through laundering OK, washed in a mesh bag, and then dried on a rack. They come in flat or patterned knits.
Also in a cold climate (but not as cold) - look at fleece-lined tights. They come in different thicknesses, although read reviews if there are any as they tend to be short and not have a lot of stretch.