First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Stevej180

Re: First steps in tights

Post by Stevej180 »

You're right, there's no real logic here. I've noticed mens tights being sold as 'leggings' on some sites, presumably to get around the issue. Many sportsmen wear leggings (or tights) under shorts in winter. Then they call it a 'base layer'. You could ask what the minimum denier requirement is for you to be allowed to wear them. Or you could say 'no, they're not tights, they're a base layer'.

But I can hear it now... it's not logic, it's emotion. It's about that tipping point between what's considered 'masculine' and what starts to look 'feminine'. My wife is happy for me to wear (and be seen with me in) a knee-length denim skirt and thick tights because she says it looks good. But if I wanted to go out in a flowy skirt or thin pantyhose... I suspect I would find her tolerance line.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Tights are wonderful once you get the hang of them and learn how to put them on and west them properly. I go bare legged in the warmer months and then graduate from 15 denier to 30, then 60 and eventually 120 as the weather gets colder. The thicker they get, the easier they become to wear and look after (wash in a laundry bag) as thinner ones get damaged more easily.

As I see it, the whole point of skirt or dress wearing is that you’re not too fussed about looking masculine. To carry off skirt wearing you need to be comfortable in your own skin and know that your attire does not define your masculinity or otherwise - the biggest obstacle of course being to get the consent of your partner.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Stevej180 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:18 pm But I can hear it now... it's not logic, it's emotion.
That's the real issue. With all opposition to men's skirt wearing and related things, really.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stevej180 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:18 pm Or you could say 'no, they're not tights, they're a base layer'.
LOL - this dovetails in nicely with the other two threads on what's in a name. A poster here a few years ago referred to leggings as "stretchy pants" (or rather, how his mother referred to them I think).
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Since I wear short skirts and dresses, even in winter months, tights are crucial for me to keep my legs warm. To that end, I have 100 and 200 denier tights I bought from Primark, and they do the job to perfection, and I like how they make my legs look plenty sleek.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

For me, 40d tights are my limit. Beyond that I might as well be wearing trousers - you lose all the sense of freedom and the skirt.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

@Stevej180, it's not just sportsmen (in the sense of hunters and fishermen). It's pro football players,
skiers, cyclists, joggers, anybody with an outdoors job (such as delivery guys, utilities workers,
construction workers) who must work in cold weather. They are, for the most part, "out of the closet."
For me, "first steps in tights" was 60 years ago.
I was "re-introduced" by my longtime female partner (sadly, now deceased) when we had an
outdoor dog show scheduled in midwinter. At her suggestion, I got Duofold thermal underwear,
both tops and bottoms. The bottoms (in black) are identical to what are now sold as leggings.
At the time, she told me they were sexy looking.
I started "borrowing" her leggings (she never noticed, or simply didn't care), and buying a few of my own.
When not skirted, I now live in leggings. Underwear, outerwear, housewear, sleepwear, out-and-about.
I find them very comfortable. I now have 40 or 50 leggings, stashed away in a drawer, and a few tights.
My only complaint is leggings have no pockets, so I have to compensate with a vest or jacket that has
plenty of pockets.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I don't go beyond 15 denier normally - sometimes 20denier for fashion tights - but I prefer sheerer legs with that shade/toning colour
So for that reason I only wear black/barely black or londra coloured hosiery in 7-15 deniers.

Its far too hot here in spring summer autumn for me to wear hosiery - so mostly I am bare legs anyway - no need for base layers/ extra layering here

cheers
NZF
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

This lot popped up on facebook, never bought from them, but may be of use to someone....

https://www.uktights.com/tights/mens-tights
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’ve bought from them. A good company with lots of choice.

FWIW, I’m mostly in 15-20 sheer hosiery in spring and autumn. I use the sheer stuff in winter (when I’m indoors) and 40-50 denier as well (indoors and outdoors). Summer sees me bare legged for the most part, but with 8-15 denier tights when it’s cooler. I wear tights outdoors with shorts from time to time.

My legs are shaved. There wasn’t much hair in the first place.

I absolutely love sheer tights, but I’m not a slave to them. There’s a time and a place.
BlackPantyhose

Post by BlackPantyhose »

Personally I like sheer black pantyhose more than tights been told by many ex gf's that I look great in them. If I was buzzed enough I'd go out in public in them but the stigmatizm of guys wearing them is too much.. If Im a little buzzed i lose a lot of inhibition and could probably go out like you see in my pic and tbh I'd really like to but I'm afraid of the "naysayers" and ppl who would point and say what a freak. Ithink i was born in the wrong century and would have much preferrred living in the dark / middle ages when men wore these all the time and it was completely acceptable. Ithink part of me cracves a little bit of attention to my legs and hose ... probably moreso because thisis "forbidden" and wrong to go out in

The only places Ive ever "shown off" is in a couple chat rooms and once on halloween How do you guys deal with it???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BlackPantyhose on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Just go. Nobody is likely even to look askance at you.
BBB

Post by BBB »

I did a t day hike and wore black compresssion tights / leggings as they had no feet throughout. They were amazingly comfortable and on day 2 I dispensed with shorts and carried on wearing tights. I had no leg pains cramps or hamstring trouble
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Alot of new discussions on tights, new members, old members, forgetful members like me.

What's the attraction to tights etc?

I have tried tights, leggings, pantyhose. And don't care for any of them. Am I missing something?

A fair amount of you guy's swear by them.

Wearing anything thing on my legs like that, including long socks like kilt socks, I feel cancels the entire purpose, reason, sensation of wearing the skirt in the first place, I have given them all a try and don't find them comfortable or purposeful.

I just don't get wearing something on my legs with a skirt.
I would just wear trousers at that point.
Any insights? On why I should reconsider tights?

I wear longer and heavier or multiple skirts for cold weather.

The case of cold weather or protecting ones legs I will just wear trousers for that.

Trousers have a time and a place. I saw that first hand the other day a friend is working construction on a warehouse, installing the sheet metal wall panels. He went to over turn a large scrap piece to relocate it out of the way. It slipped from his gloves, catching his trousers, the sheet tore his pants from above the kneecap to almost his ankle. I shudder to think if the sheet had connected with the flesh of his leg.

So trousers do have a time and a place.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:28 pm What's the attraction to tights etc?

I have tried tights, leggings, pantyhose. And don't care for any of them. Am I missing something?
For me, anyhow, I treat them as a practical necessity for colder weather. However, I like the look of them, wish I had the guts to wear more outlandish styles (bright colors, crazy patterns). I would not say they are comfortable - they add a layer of fabric/effort/delicateness that I'd rather not deal with (I try to remain practical).