First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by Sinned »

The problem with leggings is that often they are so "form fitting" that they show every curve of the lower body and often become partly see-through when stretched on bending over. In most cases not a good look. I hate my wife wearing them and I have indicated so but she loves them and I value sensitive parts too much to really voice my opinion.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bertino56 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 am Who not skirted, I'm wearing leggings.
New York Times ran a neat little article on Monday, April 18, page A3,
by Vanessa Friedman in her Open Thread newsletter. It's all about
how leggings have caught on, big-time and world-wide, as outerwear
for men. Leggings have always been hovering in the background as
athletic wear and historical costume, and, of course, they are worn
unanimously by women and girls. A lot of men want to experiment
with leggings and are concerned with too much "exposure." Friedman
mentions celebrities, rock stars, and fashion designers who have been
promoting leggings, and suggests a "layering piece" such as shorts or an
extra-long t-shirt or tank. She says, "That way you can have your super-
skinny stretch comfort pants and cover up a bit, too." She also says
the cover-ups may become increasingly irrelevant.
I see guys wearing them from time to time, but I always get the impression they are wearing them due to an activity - running or some form of exercise. I see very few who wear them casually... and those that I do see, they are wearing loose leggings - something inbetween a skinny pant and tight leggings. It looks kinda weird, IMHO.

One funny thing I've been telling myself - as to leggings - as each year passes - I'm more and more convinced that if one wanted to "dress like a women" the outfit would be leggings and an oversized shirt/sweater, and not a skirt.
Sinned wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:26 pm The problem with leggings is that often they are so "form fitting" that they show every curve of the lower body and often become partly see-through when stretched on bending over. In most cases not a good look. I hate my wife wearing them and I have indicated so but she loves them and I value sensitive parts too much to really voice my opinion.
Yes - I'm a firm believer in leggings != pants. Wear something long enough to cover up, otherwise it's awkward for us all.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Coder wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:30 pm One funny thing I've been telling myself - as to leggings - as each year passes - I'm more and more convinced that if one wanted to "dress like a women" the outfit would be leggings and an oversized shirt/sweater, and not a skirt.
I used to think the same thing about jeans.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I sometimes wear leggings out and about, but unless I'm going for a walk or a bike ride, I always wear some kind of tunic length top that extends to at least my crotch. After getting slut-shamed by a very good friend for letting my nipples show through a thin dress, I make sure I don't provide any more inadvertent anatomy lessons.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

With the various mentions of tights on this forum, I decided to give them a try.

I like the looks for an occasional formal time.
DSCN4066cs.jpg
But I don't like the feel in the underpants region at all. I like an open feeling, not tight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I fo one love tights and leggings and wear them often with and without skirts or kilts. black or blue semi opaque tights look great on my legs too.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I also love tights. And I think thick tights with a short skirt are warmer than trousers.
Seb

Post by Seb »

I love tights too, feels like a second skin. I want them opaque though, I have hairy legs and sheer ones don't look good. We get a lot of cold here and they help keep the heat nice, and are easier to layer than traditional long johns.
I especially like the feeling around the ankle, I have always hated the sock elastic around there.

If its warm out, barefoot and bare legs is gold.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
timemeddler

Post by timemeddler »

tights have uses, ironic how few men wear tights in modern times except as athletic wear and ren faires.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Thick tights all the way for me in winter.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Try as I might, I just don't care for tights. I actually prefer thigh-high stockings/socks held up by a garter, believe it or not.
I wear leggings by themselves but not under skirts or dresses. Just a personal preference.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Modoc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:46 am Try as I might, I just don't care for tights. I actually prefer thigh-high stockings/socks held up by a garter, believe it or not.
I wear leggings by themselves but not under skirts or dresses. Just a personal preference.
Same here. If you get a run in a pair of thigh high stockings, you can just change one (I usually buy several of the same colour and Denier grade), wheras tights have to be thrown away after a couple of wears or if laddered. The tights dance after going to pee is annoying, or when your elastic goes, and you have to tuck the waistband into your knickers to stop the tights heading south as you walk :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I love tights. I was wearing them before I wore skirts. Indeed, I tried a skirt because I loved the feeling of my legs brushing against each other.

I cycle so my legs are shaved. Not that I ever had much hair in the first place. I love sheer and shiny hosiery, with Cecilia de Rafael being my favourite. Opaques are great in winter, and for chilling out at home with a stretchy short skirt - both garments stretch with you rather than construct you.

I’ve also had some women get quite excited about my legs in sheer tights, which is a nice bonus!

Each to their own though.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Jim wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:59 pm But I don't like the feel in the underpants region at all. I like an open feeling, not tight.
I’ve been wearing Tights for decades. I agree; wearing Men’s underwear with Tights is uncomfortable due to the thicker material inherent in Men’s underwear, especially the Leg seams that will dig into you.

This is remedied by wearing Women’s underwear, which is substantively thinner overall, especially in the Leg seams. Full briefs are the most comfortable under Tights in my experience.
Last edited by jamodu on Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamodu wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:17 pm This is remedied by wearing Women’s underwear, which is substantively thinner overall, especially in the Leg piping. Full briefs are the most comfortable under Tights in my experience.
I agree totally. I have found a plain set of cotton underwear in the women’s section of my local Tesco which work well under tights in winter and over suspenders in other seasons.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...