First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by phathack »

MrSoapsud wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:02 am If you want an overwhelming choice of styles and colours of tights, stockings, leggings etc with excellent service in the UK, check out UKTights.com
M
We Love Colors out of Florida is another resource for tights on over 50 colors.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:08 pm Agreed, Ray. You are obviously still climbing the ladder and investing heavily. At my age I'm on the way down and nearing the bottom.

Tom
Haha! I think you are overly modest! :-)
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

For high quality tights at good prices it is hard to beat TK Maxx. As long as you only want black. One day when shops are open again ....
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

These look amazing but they only have Small/Medium so at 5'9" I'd expect them to be on the short side...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

If you are like me and have problems with stocking and hose riping and running this is one brand that have not let me down. They are very expensive but I have been able to keep wearing them over and over.
Sheertex
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

What are they like in terms of feel and finish? I’ve looked at the website and visually, they look a bit rough. A picture can be misleading though - so I’d be grateful for your views on them.

Ray
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 am What are they like in terms of feel and finish? I’ve looked at the website and visually, they look a bit rough. A picture can be misleading though - so I’d be grateful for your views on them.

Ray
They have the feel of a 40 or 50 Denier set of tights, even the sheers have this feel.
Not sure what the yarn is made of but it's much larger than the low denier shears from one of the normal pantyhose manufacturers.

I was hesitant to buy but finally bought one of the sheers and decided I liked them and went back and purchased others from them. When I find something I like I wind up buying them in multiple colors and a couple of my favorite colors so I have one to wear when the others are in the wash.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

I wear tights anytime its too cold and don't think anything of it now. Preferable to having cold legs, also covers your legs.
nervous walker

Post by nervous walker »

When I first started wearing skirts in public I needed tights as well as my legs have many scars from a childhood accident. After trying most of the major supermarkets offerings I found it difficult to get them to stay up and not burst at the front (not bragging just stating a fact.....) until I found Snag Tights https://snagtights.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobC ... gIZtfD_BwE They are really designed for the larger lady and have a vast range of colours and sizes, they are reasonably priced and deliver to your door. My first pair are still going strong after many washes and wears. They also have a picture of a man wearing tights on their instagram feed. Give them a try and see. Above all keep skirting!!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

One of the keys to getting pantyhose or tights to stay up, not self-destruct, etc. is to get the right size, understanding there are any number of common sizing schemes in use. Even amongst the various lines from the same manufacturer. So, read the packaging. And get the size that your height and weight puts you either in the middle of the size range. If they've got a graph illustrating the coverage of their sizes and you're height & weight put you right at the edge of one size, go up one size.

Another key factor is to read the detailed directions for putting on pantyhose and follow them EXPLICITLY. I know, I know, it's almost genetically impossible for us fellows to read, let alone follow directions, but in this case it will be worth it. The condensed version is in several steps up your legs, GENTLY TUG the hose up one leg then the other. (I've destroyed brand new hose by yanking instead of gently tugging, so GENTLY tug your hose.) And make sure the gusset in the panty portion is tight up against your crotch before you stretch the panty over your torso.

If you do all that correctly, your waistband should come up to just below your chest, hence the need to go big rather than small.

If you've gotten this far without destroying them, BE CAREFUL. There are run resistant hoe fabrics and all kinds of innovations, but the hosiery manufacturers have learned that hard way that no matter consistently their target customers (women) tell them that they want better durability, they just as consistently buy the most sheer hose available. So the manufacturers oblige their customers by continually making them more sheer.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The way MOH taught me to put on tights without laddering them is as follows. She gathers up the fist leg with both hands ( a hand on either side of the leg material and gather a bit in one hand then catch up the gather with the other hand and so on ) down to the foot and puts the foot in the tights leg. Then pull gently up to the knee so that the tights leg material is fairly taut. Then do the same with the other leg. Then the tights can be pulled up further one leg and then the other. That way you're not stretching the tights unduly and the fingernails providing points where they can break the thread. All I can say is that it works for me.

Also the washing of tights should be hand done or the gentle cycle and don't put them in the dryer.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

nervous walker wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:21 am When I first started wearing skirts in public I needed tights as well as my legs have many scars from a childhood accident. After trying most of the major supermarkets offerings I found it difficult to get them to stay up and not burst at the front (not bragging just stating a fact.....) until I found Snag Tights https://snagtights.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobC ... gIZtfD_BwE They are really designed for the larger lady and have a vast range of colours and sizes, they are reasonably priced and deliver to your door. My first pair are still going strong after many washes and wears. They also have a picture of a man wearing tights on their instagram feed. Give them a try and see. Above all keep skirting!!
They have guys modeling a few of their offerings on their website as well.
TheEngineer

Post by TheEngineer »

Caultron wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:01 pm ........ And lots of guys find they like the silky compression feel of tights against their legs.
Absolutely. Fantastic feeling. And tights under leggings, yoga pants or jeggings, even better still - fabulous. As an active man I find the compression on my legs reduces tiredness and leg fatigue, I can keep going for longer. That's a win for me. Good examples of why we wear certain clothes: they feel good, they are practical, they are beneficial to comfort and health and we enjoy them. All you need is the courage or lack of inhibition to try it.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I have worn tights for a long time while Hill Walking with a skirt or shorts as they are a great way to keep Ticks off you and round here there is usually some wind to keep you cool in the summer.

In winter M&S Marino wool are the go-to's for comfort and warmth, just a tad expensive as you only get around a month to six weeks out of them as they snag on gorse and heather. Good for cycling too, but I'm less inclined in the winter these days.

Fashion wise, I only have a couple of pairs, black and navy blue as I only go out skirted (other than walking) on a few occasions, I think they came from Morrisons.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Conversations with my wife around tights are very confusing.

She does not like me wearing skirts at all, and tights with kilts are also a no-no (especially when we are together). She has suggested I wear them with trousers (which I will be during December whilst playing carols outdoors with a couple of brass bands), but she will not wear them with trousers, no matter how cold, "because they are uncomfortable!"

When I comment about the discomfort of the four-way junction of seams on trousers, she asks, "why then would you want to wear tights?" I have been unable to convince her that they are very different. Like others here, I enjoy the close contact as opposed to the flapping and dragging of trouser legs. And I generally find them warmer in the winter than trousers with socks. In addition, the constant massage keeps the circulation going in cold weather, and means your legs regain warmth more rapidly than in trousers, and dry more quickly when soaked in the rain.

As has been said many times, no logic only emotion!