Of heels and a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Of heels and a skirt

Post by crfriend »

Well, according to the tracking information, my new shoes are supposedly in New Hampshire at the moment -- many miles northeast of me, representing yet another oddball routing. The package got handed off from BBSL (Billy-Bob's Stagecoach Lines) to the US Post-hole Service today in New Jersey, the final leg of which was under 10,000 feet and which took most of the day (I think it was transferred from stagecoach to a rusty pick-up truck in Pennsylvania so the horses could rest to return south; there may be a livery stable in Mountville and the hand-off occurred in York).

If USPS practise holds, the box will be southwest of me tomorrow morning, to be moved northeast that night to my local Post Office from whence it's about a 50/50 chance it'll wind up in the wrong mailbox on Friday. (We all look in each other's mailboxes for our stuff, so it seems like it's "no harm, no foul".)

I do love the joys of shipping and logistics in the 21st Century! We go from horse-drawn carriage to rusty pick-up to worm-hole warp technology in the course of five days and a small change in latitude. (The snap from Newark, NJ to Nashua, NH is probably faster than I could have driven it, and I'm not exactly known for a light touch on the throttle.)

Oh, and the skirt is still on back-order, so I'll get to watch this dance again when that unwedges.

And I still have no bloomin' clue as to whether the shoes will fit...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Here's a video from 2014 of the same gentleman wearing his heels
and nice skirted outfits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqd03KCIDtk
It's one thing to wear heels; it's another thing to learn to walk in them
gracefully and wear your clothing gracefully, as Laurentin Cosmos has done.
Heels are not for me, for a bunch of reasons. But I enjoy seeing them
on a woman. They show her off so much better. (I used to not like them.)
And I can appreciate them on men, when worn with appropriate style and confidence.
And I totally agree with Cosmos's message about equality for men and women
to wear exactly what they enjoy wearing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Carl we are now in the same boat! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

It used to be a total hands on service by the USPS but now there is a mix-bag of UPS FEDEX (FEDUP) and other air freight forwarders (Airborne).
Yes the routings can be strange VERY STRANGE.
When the airlines handled the mail it was pretty much hub to hub and then the last leg non-stop into your realm.
Now for instance I had a package from Los Angeles - the USPS gave it to FEDEX air-routed to Memphis air-routed to Chicago and then trucked to the north side
of my metro area thence given back to USPS routed it a distribution center in the SE metro and in the wee hours of the AM trucked to my local zone post office.
4 days later delivered with regular mail to my door. If the airlines where still handling mail it would have been 2 day service - by todays standards there is more
money to be made off of passengers than mail especially when flights are full which leaves no room for mail anyway.
At least now there is tracking of your deliveries which formerly was a luxury at additional expense.
Well so much for "Absolutely Positively has to be Delivered Overnight"!
Still yet better than the slow boat from Yokohama to San Francisco to Union Pacific RR transferred to the Pony Express at the gold spike Promontory Point office
thence Kansas City river boat to the Junction of the Mississippi river and Delta Queen steamboat to the landing at St.Paul MN.
Another hectic episode of "Around the World in 80 Days"!
We have come a long long way baby and don't you regret it !
With this internet electronic age - we are almost there with beaming me up Scotty !
We are now well past the stage of "You have Mail - AOL" !

Good Luck Carl in getting those boots or is it "these boot were made for walking" ?
Maybe a better investment in a hoverboard one size fits all.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:It used to be a total hands on service by the USPS but now there is a mix-bag of UPS FEDEX (FEDUP) and other air freight forwarders (Airborne).
Yes the routings can be strange VERY STRANGE.
This one isn't any of the usual suspects, it's one I've never heard of before and which I don't happen to remember (having tossed the packaging (with its labels) from my previous order which had the same inane routing) hence the crack about Billy-Bob's Stagecoach Lines. In thinking [0] about it, horse-drawn conveyances in the area of Pennsylvania where the reversal of course happened would be entirely proper thematically as that's deep in Amish country. "Right at home", as they say.
Maybe a better investment in a hoverboard one size fits all.
'Tis a pity those are mythological beasts. They'd be fun.

Interestingly, the parcel is allegedly at my local post office as of this writing. It'll be interesting to see if it shows up today. That'd be nice.

The skirt remains on back-order. Foo!

[0] Dangerous, I know.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Amazon sells Payless shoes as well. Amazon Payless Shoes
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Miracle of miracles! My new shoes arrived today. After much shoe-shining [0] and misdirections the USPS actually managed to get the box into the right mailbox (and it fit!).

It's not Billy-Bob's Stagecoach Lines, the primary long-haul shipper is something called "Newgistics" (which seems to have a rather bad on-line reputation) which is a new one to me. (It could be a wholly-owned subsidiary of Billy Bob's, though, much the way my last job was for a wholly-owned subsidiary (a rogue division) of the company I was supposed to be working for, but there's no proof at the moment. I still wonder about that bit in Amish country, though.)

In any event, the shoes fit, but it's going to take me a few weeks of learning how to deal with them out in the wild (or even around my apartment). They're comfortable enough when I'm standing and not in motion, but motion causes problems (and given how fast I move that might be dangerous) and sitting with the things flat on the ground seems to cause some issues, likely because on me being rather inflexible after wearing the same style of shoe for at least the past decade and a half.

[0] In computer jargon, "shoe-shining" refers to the motion of a tape that cannot stop within an inter-record gap (IRG) and needs to be reversed and then driven forward again to reach it. In a pure streaming environment this usually doesn't happen, but if the computer can't supply data to the tape drive fast enough it does -- and it utterly destroys performance.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

[0] In computer jargon, "shoe-shining" refers to the motion of a tape that cannot stop within an inter-record gap (IRG) and needs to be reversed and then driven forward again to reach it. In a pure streaming environment this usually doesn't happen, but if the computer can't supply data to the tape drive fast enough it does -- and it utterly destroys performance.

Is this the same parlously action as the "Mission Impossible" tape that will self-destruct in 10 seconds after leaving a message in a hissy fit ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Parcel shipment is a curious thing... I can get a parcel sent from the west coast in 2 days (they put it on a plane normally), and yet something from the other side of Virginia takes a week..... :? Although I think USPS shipping runs a little faster now as in this region the major hub is in Knoxville TN. When I lived in Pulaski all our mail routed through Roanoke, then the USPS closed that hub and everything had to go to North Carolina which delayed things by a day or two.

I'm generally sympathetic to the plight of the U.S. Postal Service. It's one of the few organizations of our government that I actually have some level of appreciation and respect for. They wouldn't struggle near as much if congress would leave them alone and let them do their job. Too bad most of what they process these days is junk mail and bills... nobody seems to send letters or post cards anymore, (I love post cards)... *hint hint*

Moon Shadow
1101 Volunteer Parkway
Suite 5-201
Bristol TN 37620

:wink:

Other government programs I have a soft spot in my heart for, NASA, and NOAA.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I usually buy Clarks' Women's shoes. Recently, though, I've discovered how comfortable 'Hotter' Women's shoes are.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, it looks like my skirt arrived at the shipping-point in Atlanta yesterday from wherever it was sourced from (that should be on one of the tags) and handed off to BBSL (Billy-Bob's Stagecoach Lines) yesterday as well (Credit where credit is due; that was a deft hand-off). However (!), there's a development. It seems that Billy-Bob has subcontracted Santa Claus' reindeer! The parcel containing my new skirt (a black with red floral [0] pattern on it) is already in Mountville, PA [5]. (I'm wondering if the livery stable there has learnt how to properly care for reindeer. Herr Claus will be really p!ssed if those beasties don't get back North!)

The saga continues to unfold.

[0] Yes, Virginia, floral patterns can work on men [3]. Do not pay any heed to the detractors.
[1] This space intentionally left blank.
[2] It's an oddball camera that's not well supported in any of the stock Linux distros. I get to hack on the source code [4] for this.
[3] Imagery when it shows up and I can capture same. And get it out of my camera [2].
[4] I'm glad I know C. It's almost as fun as assembler.
[5] About ten miles west of ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, my new skirt arrived yesterday -- and it's a beauty! It fits great, has a rear zipper (which I'm busy getting used to), no elastics, and it works very well indeed. It's predominantly black with a brown/beige/dusty-rose floral pattern -- not "in your face" at all. Imagery when I can get it.

Yet, it took the usual screwy routing and went dark for a couple of days in transit and then surfaced again. I guess either Billy-Bob's bar-code readers weren't working or the rusty pickup-truck that moves stuff from York, PA to Elizabeth, NJ broke down or the driver got lost. {shrug}
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Speaking of which, I've just had a whole week of sleepless nights worrying about which heels to wear with my new purple tights and would urgently seek Sterling advice from the Forum Footandlegwear Police as to what to wear.

There is also the dilemma of my leg colour showing through the 40-den. semi-opaque purple tights. Should I pull on a pair of black ones underneath?

My extensive wardrobe of pumps extends to just the two pairs shown and the ivory ones are a tad impractical round my muddy grounds :blue:

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

IMO the brown are the better choice of the two the ivory is too stark against the dark tights. If you were to increase your shoe wardrobe I would get black
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Tom the brown looks best with the purple. And as OS said I would add another pair of low heels in black. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.