Of heels and a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Of heels and a skirt

Post by crfriend »

I've been kvetching about the difficulties of finding even remotely attractive footwear and the utter and abject lack of men's heeled shoes for a while now, and following up on PDX Dave's challenge to "buy a pair" (a turn of phrase which I still get a chuckle out of) it turns up that one of my suppliers recently upped their stock to cover size 14 women's shoe styles in reasonably cute form-factors so I decided to take him up on said challenge.

I'm still waiting on my red-upper 3" heeled wedges as I write this (the skirt is on back-order at the moment). According to the tracking information they're in a little hamlet called "Mountville, Pennsylvania", which is about 10 miles west of "Intercourse, PA" (I'm not making this up; I'm good, but I'm not that good), and I suspect the supplier is using Billy-Bob's Stagecoach Lines as the delivery agent because the last time this happened I watched the shipment reverse course and travel in a direction almost 180 degrees from the direction it needed to -- and this parcel just did the same thing! That'll add another day's delay to the transit. The shoe-box-sized shipment left Atlanta, GA last Friday, surfaced yesterday in Pennsylvania, first in Mountville and it's now in York having travelled in a direction diametrically opposed to the direction it should be moving in; I haven't calculated average speed, but whilst it's slightly faster than a team of horses it's nowhere near what a truck on modern infrastructure is capable of, much less a proper railway [0].

We shall see what happens... I may be complaining to my supplier.

The skirt is still on backorder, and if it takes the same roundabout path to Massachusetts, I'll definitely be complaining.

[0] I get stuff from the west coast by rail in four days; this has already taken five, has been confined to east of the Mississippi, and has not been subject to any bad weather.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Of heels and a skirt

Post by JohnH »

crfriend wrote:According to the tracking information they're in a little hamlet called "Mountville, Pennsylvania", which is about 10 miles west of "Intercourse, PA"
And yes, there is a village in Austria named F*cking. :lol:

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JohnH wrote:And yes, there is a village in Austria named F*cking. :lol:
And I'm quite sure that means something completely different in Austrian than it does in colloquial English.

I was more commenting on how packages in transit can go awry in the 21st Century and get lost when it's actually very simple to get them from one place to another.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote:
JohnH wrote:And yes, there is a village in Austria named F*cking. :lol:
And I'm quite sure that means something completely different in Austrian than it does in colloquial English.

I was more commenting on how packages in transit can go awry in the 21st Century and get lost when it's actually very simple to get them from one place to another.
Indeed the tracking is interesting. I followed a package which was sent from a town just 2 hours drive from where I live and an hour from Brussels. It went to the centre of France, than to an airport near Milan Italy from where it was forwarded to Brussels and further. All DHL... still, all than traveling took less than 24 hours...
Last edited by Gusto10 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

in respect of the heels and skirt, an interesting site: http://laurentincosmos.com/
also concerning the subject of equality.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

crfriend wrote:And I'm quite sure that means something completely different in Austrian than it does in colloquial English.
From the Wikipedia article:
It is believed that the settlement was founded in the 6th century AD by Focko, a Bavarian nobleman. The Austrian region during this century was mostly under the domain of the Kingdom of the Ostrogoths, and was populated by a mix of Christians and Pagans. The existence of the village was documented for the first time in 1070, and historical records show that some twenty years later, the lord was recorded in Latin as Adalpertus de Fucingin. The spelling of the name has evolved over the years; it is first recorded in historical sources with the spelling as Vucchingen in 1070, Fukching in 1303,[7] Fugkhing in 1532, and in the modern spelling F*cking in the 18th century,[8] which is pronounced with the vowel oo as in book.[2] The ending -ing is an old Germanic suffix indicating the people belonging to the root word to which it is attached, thus F*cking means "(place of) Focko's people."
Ralph!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I'm lucky, well kind of, that Payless Shoesource has 13 Wide in womens, and they fit pretty well, and sometimes even a 13 regular. I love going to the stores and shopping, the sales people are always great and helpful. I love womens shoes, mens are so boring and clunky... which sometimes I have to wear just because it doesn't make sense to walk around on heels when I'm turning wrenches.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mike wrote:I'm lucky, well kind of, that Payless Shoesource has 13 Wide in womens, and they fit pretty well, and sometimes even a 13 regular. I love going to the stores and shopping, the sales people are always great and helpful. I love womens shoes, mens are so boring and clunky... which sometimes I have to wear just because it doesn't make sense to walk around on heels when I'm turning wrenches.
I'm turning wrenches

Just you be careful of the wrenches you are turning best they not be wenches !
(R)emeber Elmer Fudd have trouble with his "Rs" ! LOL !

Yes Payless is a great shoe store - BUT - get your foot in the door before the season steps out with the shoes in your size.
I check with the local store manager frequently for when he is expecting his new stock to arrive.
The inventory is such that the store gets 2 size 13s 3 size 12s and larger lots of everything else.
You snooze or don't visit timely you are out of luck.
Payless has a website also and has great sales from time to time and it is easy to get FREE shipping !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mike wrote:I'm lucky, well kind of, that Payless Shoesource has 13 Wide in womens, and they fit pretty well, and sometimes even a 13 regular.
I'm not so much. On-line wisdom last year was saying that my male size-12 trotters needed a women's 13 1/2, and that was rather discouraging, and this year's on-line wisdom is stating 14 which is out of bounds for any retail establishment I'm aware of in my locale. Hence my requirement to kite things on-line. We shall see how the 14s work. At least they weren't stupidly expensive, so if I have to write 'em off I can without shedding too many tears. (That's if they ever arrive.)

I agree wholeheartedly that most male-marketed styles are incredibly boring, and if they're not that they're ghastly.

I'm going to be really torqued off if the skirt that's still on back-order gets boosted into Billy-Bob's stagecoach (after it returns south) and ten falls off somewhere going north. That one cost real money.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Payless has been OK in all respects for me.
Order enough to get FREE shipping - try for size in the comfort of my in home fitting room - return to store for full refund and sometimes
exchange for something better.
Unfortunately the retail stores are having the same problem that all the major department stores are having - getting clobbered by the
internet sales. Returning to a retail store is getting to be more of a problem and worse if that store is in a less productive sales area.
Thus no local store close by - rack up mileage finding one or pay the return shipping - so much for the budget.
Payless does have a size calculating page on their website - convertible USA - UK - EU - and others - helpful but no exactly certain match !
That is why the try before you buy in the store has worked so well over the years and something else to note "You Do Not Need to Break-In shoes"
they should fit right out of the box or you are buying the wrong size FOR YOU !

Good Luck and if the shoe fits wear it !

The topic of this thread was Of heels and a skirt - well if the skirt fits wear that too !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:I've been kvetching about the difficulties of finding even remotely attractive footwear and the utter and abject lack of men's heeled shoes for a while now, and following up on PDX Dave's challenge to "buy a pair" (a turn of phrase which I still get a chuckle out of) it turns up that one of my suppliers recently upped their stock to cover size 14 women's shoe styles in reasonably cute form-factors so I decided to take him up on said challenge..
Carl what is the name and url for the place you are getting the shoes from? I am still looking for a place that sells larger wider foot wear than most.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Carl if this is not the same source post yours:

PAYLESS website LINK:

http://www.payless.com/
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:Carl if this is not the same source post yours:

PAYLESS website LINK: http://www.payless.com/
I looked there -- maximum size of 13. You know what they say about guys with big feet...

...They wear big shoes. Sometimes those are tough to find in nice styles.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I looked Payless up. Nice range of stuff, but they don't do any business with punters from outside the US.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kirbstone wrote:I looked Payless up. Nice range of stuff, but they don't do any business with punters from outside the US. Tom
The local Payless store in my town closed up and went bye bye. :( It seems as the place was always dirty and the help was not. :thumbdown: People just stopped shopping there so it became a losing proposition so they closed it down. Now the closest store is 30 miles away. :doh:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.