Of heels and a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Of heels and a skirt

Post by crfriend »

I'm seconding the general opinion that the purple legwear goes better with the brown footwear than the lighter. In the latter case, there's just too much contrast for it to work well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...There is also the dilemma of my leg colour showing through the 40-den. semi-opaque purple tights. Should I pull on a pair of black ones underneath?
No, don't wear two pairs of tights at once. It's OK if they're semi-opaque.
Kirbstone wrote:My extensive wardrobe of pumps extends to just the two pairs shown and the ivory ones are a tad impractical round my muddy grounds.
The brown are fine. The white seem a bit dressy for around the yard.b

IMHO.
Last edited by Caultron on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:No, don't wear pairs of tights at once. It's OK if they're semi-opaque.
I've been known to do that if the overlay is fishnet. It provides some contextual interest, e.g. a set of purple or red fishies atop a black backdrop. Else, the exercise is largely meaningless unless one is after extra warmth or compression.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, the brown are not ideal but work better, I think because they are darker, for everyday wear. For a party then the white would be acceptable as they do pick up on the white in the skirt. The tights are ok and the fact that leg shows through is fine. I wear sheer, semi-opaques and thicker a lot and think nothing about it. I've never tried fishnets over semi-opaques but will do so on the next appropriate opportunity.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Firstly, a lot depends on your overall outfit. We haven't been shown the top and that could make such a difference to the choice of shoes,

Secondly, looking at the skirt, I would be inclined to go with the white shoes but change the tights to a much lighter purple. I think this would bring out the purpleish/grape colour that seems to be in the skirt.

Something a bit like this:
tom3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You're right SD. The lighter the colour in the legwear the less the contrast in the skirt and the white shoes. You're showing your class and understanding of style now SD. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

IMO that is the wrong way to go . You enjoy going out in skirts but at the same time you are a conservative dresser. Going with something that bright you might as well wear a flashlight on your shoes. It will immediately draw unwanted attention to yourself. The best outfit would be the darker tights with black shoes.

Sd has a flair of his own , He can carry it off . The rest of us should keep with less flashy outfits.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Opinions, opinions, opinions..... :? :? :?
Personally I think we all do a fine job of wearing our skirts and dresses as well as the occasional kilt. :thumright: Our sense of style is as varied as the number of folks here at the Cafe. None are wrong, none are right for everyone. We each have our own personal style or what ever we want to call how we dress. :censored:

We experiment on colors and match and miss match as we see fit. If I like what I have on it makes no matter what someone else thinks. If I like it I wear it. There are no hard and fast rules for what we wear, despite what the fashion industry says. :soapbox:
Have you seen some of the stuff they send down the runway?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :rofl: :sofnny:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Now come on guys. The white shoes are fine. It's just because you are not used to seeing them in that context. The insurance compare advert with the tight shorts and heels used to irk me for the combination but I've got used to them now. In fact some of the photos of yourselves in heels have provided cognitive dissonance with me but not so much now. I have white shoes and white casual shoes which I wear with my skirts, generally with either light/pastel coloured or black tights or bare legged in summer. Black or white for footwear are ok. The only convention that I am aware of is not to wear brown shoes with a black suit or in our case black ensemble. Hence the old song by Stanley Holloway Brahn Boots.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

SkirtsDad wrote:Firstly, a lot depends on your overall outfit. We haven't been shown the top and that could make such a difference to the choice of shoes,

Secondly, looking at the skirt, I would be inclined to go with the white shoes but change the tights to a much lighter purple. I think this would bring out the purpleish/grape colour that seems to be in the skirt.

Something a bit like this:
tom3.jpg
I'd see that as a spring sort of outfit. I've actually seen women sport that color hosiery at that time of year, especially on Easter Sunday.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

SkirtsDad wrote:Firstly, a lot depends on your overall outfit. We haven't been shown the top and that could make such a difference to the choice of shoes,

The colour of the shoes is fine; however I would prefer the heels to either be taller or thicker. I don't like kitten heels very much but that is only my personal opinion.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Today I went shopping
This is what I've found
4 inch heel.
Yes, I can still walk in them after 35 years of no practice at all. :mrgreen: I have to think how to put my feet right by every step but I manage to walk rather well in them. Even women have to practice in the beginning.
And I need a pedicure and some nailpolish :mrgreen: I walked for more than 1 hour or so and then my feet hurt a bit. Not used to walk on my tiptoes (need a lot of practice :lol: ) but I liked it a lot.

Now letting the wife know that I have higher heels than she has. :mrgreen: A relation should be full of laughter about eachother, and I am glad that my wife is no hard rock to crack at all. She is a strong woman* but very open minded.

* Lost her father when he was just 40 years of age, and lost her brother when he was 40 on cancer.
She turns 46 in April
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I recently discovered that Nordstrom Rack stores have large sized women's shoes. They are not cheap. They are rather good looking, in my opinion.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

jjjjohanne wrote:I recently discovered that Nordstrom Rack stores have large sized women's shoes. They are not cheap. They are rather good looking, in my opinion.
Yes, but they rarely have larger sizes in wide widths, mostly medium, so keep that in mind if you shop at Rack.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I go to Nordstrom Rack occasionally and rarely find anything that I like and will fit. I need a womens size 13 wide. They are far and few between. I have bought 3 pairs of shoes/sandals there over the last few years. But that was with about 2 dozen visits over the same time period.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon