ROMPERS. . . AARGghhhh!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Re: ROMPERS

Post by Bertino56 »

I had these back in the 1970s. They were never called "rompers" then.
They were a short-arm, short-leg version of jumpsuits, made and sold
by the makers of regular jumpsuits. One of my favorites was towel-like
terrycloth, with a clasp belt, just like the James Bond picture above.
Another version was a bodysuit, or body shirt. You can still get these.
They have a snap or button crotch, with no shirttail to pull out. They
looked good until I started to get too bulgy for that sort of garment.
One of the brands I remember was Marum Mani-shirt, which had four
snaps, and otherwise looked like a tight-fitting T-shirt. (Marum also made
Mani-hose, tights for men.)
Nowadays, Privatina makes a lot of the same things for men and women.
http://privatina.shop-07.de/privatina-p ... elbod.html
There's also a company called onepiece.com
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Re: ROMPERS. . . AARGghhhh!

Post by WesleyN »

Not for me. And what would you do, when you want to go to the toilet?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

rivegauche wrote:Huckleberry Finn wore a dress and was rumbled when he caught something thrown towards him by clamping his knees together instead of widening them to catch in the skirt of his dress.
I remember reading that as a young boy. I can't remember if I had already worn a skirt before or after reading that or not.

Also I must confess that about 15 years ago I bought a ladies floral print romper onesie whatever you prefer to call it. It actually fit pretty well, except in the sholders it was snug, the bottom end was nice and roomy. It was not my favorite garment in my closet. It is a nice change to have a garment that don't fasten snugly at the waist with elastic or a belt or waistband. Got rid of the romper a few years back. Never cared for the floral print. And only wore it in winter under mens clothes for extra
warmth. To go to the bathroon it was a big deal, if you don't take the entire thing off, you kind of have to drop it down behind you taking care you don't drop it in the toilet or floor. not easy.

I like wearing bib coveralls. I think they are the only mens garment that hangs from the sholders that is not considered a robe or dress. It is also kind of nice to have an extra pocket on the bib portion.

Mishawakakilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
rivegauche wrote:
I like wearing bib coveralls. I think they are the only mens garment that hangs from the sholders that is not considered a robe or dress. It is also kind of nice to have an extra pocket on the bib portion.

I agree if I have to wear cursed 2 legged things I prefer biboveralls as I can't stand anything tight around my waist
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: ROMPERS

Post by Gusto10 »

Bertino56 wrote:I had these back in the 1970s. They were never called "rompers" then.
They were a short-arm, short-leg version of jumpsuits, made and sold
by the makers of regular jumpsuits. One of my favorites was towel-like
terrycloth, with a clasp belt, just like the James Bond picture above.
Another version was a bodysuit, or body shirt. You can still get these.
They have a snap or button crotch, with no shirttail to pull out. They
looked good until I started to get too bulgy for that sort of garment.
One of the brands I remember was Marum Mani-shirt, which had four
snaps, and otherwise looked like a tight-fitting T-shirt. (Marum also made
Mani-hose, tights for men.)
Nowadays, Privatina makes a lot of the same things for men and women.
http://privatina.shop-07.de/privatina-p ... elbod.html
There's also a company called onepiece.com
Hmm, an adult baby shop. Doesn't it say it all?
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rompers

Post by Bertino56 »

No, Gusto10, it does not. With all respect, you are jumping to conclusions.
What store you buy your skirts in does not say anything about you, or about
anybody else who shops at that store.
I have not bought from Privatina, but I assure you they have a diverse clientele.
I do not identify as "adult baby" (but I have met a few of them) and I don't
ridicule or otherwise disparage their interests, any more than they ridicule
my individuality and diverse interests in clothing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with Bertino - it says no more than if I went into a shop that only sold clothes targeted to women and bought something. It wouldn't indicate that I was trying to be a woman. The purchaser from the adult baby shop as you called it may just like the form or the style for comfort, similar reasons for why we wear skirts, and not for any associations with adult babyhood.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

RichardA wrote:I must be the only one who likes them, I just love one piece garments, I don't know why maybe it's a through back from my child hood.
Maybe when I saw James Bond in Goldfinger
Sorry :oops: just found one of me
I hear all your comments from two years ago, but two years later I finely bought one, the leg length was a wee bit too long for me so had to shorten it, but I love it now.
It feels like a dress to wear as it is not tight on the waist, and up to now people that have seen me in it gives it the thumbs up, I could start a trend in my small village.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Forget the inseam and go with a dress. You don't have to worry about a fly for urinating, and there's no problem with a number 2.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

from experience rompers/playsuits are terribly inconvenient when I had to go the bathroom !
Had to take them off completely and step out of them to go to the toilet.
They were kind of fun to wear, and safe in the sense that I felt a little safer in bars/restaurants etc in a romper - but I still prefer the lines of a skirt anyday!
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

Honestly I just bought one and I should have it in the mail tomorrow. They seem to be getting good reviews on Amazon from men that have tried them. I think this is going to be a gateway to get mens dresses on the market.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Newtothis wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm Honestly I just bought one and I should have it in the mail tomorrow. They seem to be getting good reviews on Amazon from men that have tried them. I think this is going to be a gateway to get mens dresses on the market.
Having worn my rompers through the summer I love them so much so I have 10 of them and the comments I've had have been very good, but sadly not seen anybody else in them.
I think the name put's people of Rompers even men's rompers sounds childish so I don't think they will every catch on, well not in the UK, but maybe in hot countrys.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Another name for ROMPERS is "PLAYSUIT" - not seen on this side of the aisle - but a ton and a half for the women's and children's fare.
OK another aspect is coveralls be that they may be short or long legged - but that is certainly not fashionable unless like RichardA's tropical print.
Not terribly practical for the person who has continence problems - long or short of it using the loo is a challenge.
Size wise not a good idea to get a tight fitting garment causing distress in certain positions.
Best would be eliminate the twin piping below the waist and just simply go with a skirt attachment aka dress !
All the negative features are now a thing in the past.
One with sewing alterations ability could easily convert a romper into a dress albeit a very short one indeed.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I can think of four reasons why one wouldn't want to be wearing a garment that was so difficult to remove:
The need to use the toilet.
The garment catches fire.
The garment prevents self harm and one wants to self harm.
One's luck suddenly changes regarding intimacy.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia