I Wore Men's Clothes for a Month

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Uncle Al

Re: I Wore Men's Clothes for a Month

Post by Uncle Al »

Click on the "Edit Button", lower right side of the post, way down below here :yellow:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

john62 wrote:Spelling mistake in the last post, how do you edit a post on the board?
Depending on the user-interface style you're using there will be an "Edit" button in your own posts that you can select to allow for editing after-the-fact to expunge errors, typos, and other little demons that pop up. In the Prosilver style (the default here) it's along to top edge of the frame that contains the text of the post; in Subsilver (the old style which a few old-timers use) it's near the bottom right of the text frame.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jamodu wrote:Amusement and Irony in equal measure.

http://tinyurl.com/znxb2hx
Indeed...

Of course she's carrying on about something that frankly just isn't a big deal for a woman. The whole time I'm reading it (which was a VERY long read) I kept thinking "well whoopdie-do!". It's like she's just learning how to drive a car for the first time.

Let me just write a 3 page essay about me eating cereal at lunch for a month... :roll:

Hey lady... wanna do something really bold? Try wearing something you might loose your job over in the U.S. south... oh wait... YOU CAN'T!

I found it somewhat amusing she still managed to get hit on by that creepy guy. Can you imagine a woman (creepy or not) hitting on me wearing one of my highly feminine outfits? :roll: Not happening in this bimbo driven society!

And what was this about attending a wedding dressed in "men's" clothes?? I imagine the world would literally stop spinning if I even THOUGHT about attending a wedding in anything resembling "women's" clothing! I'd certainly be asked to leave!

I did like this in one of the comments though:

monkyvirus // Posted 8 January 2017 at 5:58 am

This was a very interesting read and I’m happy you’ve found clothing that makes you comfortable :) I do have a few points that came to me as I was reading:

4) Men are not “allowed” to wear skirts, dresses, etc. which is a particular struggle for genderqueer people and trans women. My partner and I are both genderqueer but I, AFAB, have a lot more choice in terms of presentation whereas my partner, AMAB, risks harrassment and violence if they wear feminine pieces.
There it is... BOOM!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
Of course she's carrying on about something that frankly just isn't a big deal for a woman. The whole time I'm reading it (which was a VERY long read) I kept thinking "well whoopdie-do!". It's like she's just learning how to drive a car for the first time.

And what was this about attending a wedding dressed in "men's" clothes?? I imagine the world would literally stop spinning if I even THOUGHT about attending a wedding in anything resembling "women's" clothing! I'd certainly be asked to leave!
Well, women have appropriated almost every other item of mens' clothing. So what difference would it make if a woman showed up at a wedding in a man's monkey suit?
Last edited by crfriend on Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to fix the quoting
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:...
I recently attended a couple of funerals wearing a skirt - a long black one that was appropriate for the occasion. Both of the deceased had known me as a skirt wearer and most of their relatives had never seen me wearing anything but a skirt, so there was precisely no effect whatsoever.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:I recently attended a couple of funerals wearing a skirt - a long black one that was appropriate for the occasion. Both of the deceased had known me as a skirt wearer and most of their relatives had never seen me wearing anything but a skirt, so there was precisely no effect whatsoever.
I have as well, although that's only if one counts the 2011/2012 time-frame as "recent". Like Pelmut's, my choice was my floor-length black formal pleated skirt, a black waistcoat, and my very ruffled poet's shirt. This was well-received by the survivors as the departed was a rather counter-culture sort who always appreciated my sense of style.

I fretted about the decision for a bit, but was told that he'd appreciate someone at the service who wasn't a product of the cookie-cutter. Hilariously, amongst the articles of remembrance were many pictures of him as a younger man -- including one of him done up Jedi-style, shot "in the wild", that brought smiles to many of the folks in attendance. I felt much better about my rig after seeing some of those photos.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
JohnH wrote:If a woman wants to wear men's clothes that seems to be fine with society. If only men had the freedom to wear women's clothes.
What say we redefine clothes as clothes and ditch the sexist adjectives?
Well, there's sexism and there's sexed. We'll never get rid of the latter for clothes because the physical differences will always make sorting products that way sensible. I'd be happy if we could at least get rid of the sexism in fashion; the sexism that says that men aren't even allowed to wear certain things and would never want to unless they are doing a trans thing or something.

Automated bespoke clothing would certainly be a revolution. Imagine being able to order from any part of the catalogue and the robots would customise it to your body, not just the average body shape of your sex.
Daryl...
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

It is not that all men's clothing are boring. I wear from both sides. And I mix it. And so I have created on a simple way my own style. But many of men's clothes is not my thing. I think it's not very comfortable. Especially a suit. The pants, the colbert. I do not feel comfortable at all. Sometimes you have to. At a wedding or a funeral. Fortunately, I do not have to carry a suit anymore when applying for a job or an intake. And at my work I can wear a long shirt and a skinny jeans. That looks a lot better. Unfortunately, I can wear the skirts only abroad. That is the restriction I have submitted myself. Then I will go to Belgium as often as possible.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

WesleyN wrote:It is not that all men's clothing are boring. I wear from both sides. And I mix it. And so I have created on a simple way my own style. But many of men's clothes is not my thing. I think it's not very comfortable. Especially a suit. The pants, the colbert. I do not feel comfortable at all. Sometimes you have to. At a wedding or a funeral. Fortunately, I do not have to carry a suit anymore when applying for a job or an intake. And at my work I can wear a long shirt and a skinny jeans. That looks a lot better. Unfortunately, I can wear the skirts only abroad. That is the restriction I have submitted myself. Then I will go to Belgium as often as possible.
Isn't it interesting that the Netherlands or Holland is considered a liberal country but that you deem it necessary to go abroad to wear what you feel like. I guess that the impression of a liberal country if given by what takes place in Amsterdam around and bout the canals, but beyond that it's surely is a big bible belt.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

It is not that I'm afraid it will something happen, when I wear a skirt when I'm in the Netherlands. I have a daughter. And she goes toe school and the neighbourhood we live, there live a lot of children. And I have a job. And now I'm working in a office with tolerant people. But for years I was working as a Professional. I was working for customers by customers. And it's possible I could be back to such kind of organisation. That are my reasons to go in public only when I'm abroad.

Okay the Netherlands is not more tolerant as Belgium, France, England, Germany or Scandinavien. Maybe more than America. But it is always people are looking for the group where they feel comfortable. And people who are different in their eyes, they would like to change them, such as a same type of person. This is a confirmation that you are correct.