Style question. . .

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whorton

Style question. . .

Post by whorton »

I recently purchased a gray ankle length skirt with a slit from the bottom that runs 1/4 length upward. The slit is actually under the manufacturer's label. Which way is preferable to wear? With the slit in back or to the side? Thoughts?
skirt 2.jpg
skirt 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Style question. . .

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

If you're wearing it to work, I'd suggest wearing the slit in the back, but only if the skirt is actually cut to work that way.

Take a close look at the seams and darts to be sure it's symmetrical all the way around. I doubt that it is. There should be more shape in the back than the front. Wearing the slit in the back when the skirt is designed to have it on the side will look weird at best, like you weren't paying attention when you got dressed at worst.

Given that the skirt is modeled with a side slit, you can be sure tha's where it belongs. A little out there for most offices, but not terrible. You know your work environment and clearly I don't have a clue so take a hard look at what the ladies are wearing.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dave sums it up nicely: odds are it won't work with the slit in the back.

General hints include the apparent ruching on the right hip; that'd look really odd if placed on the front (unless it's an artefact of the model's pose).

Since you've already purchased it, a close examination of the piece will be in order before making up your mind. If you opt for putting the slit in the rear, either find one of those 360-degree mirror rooms or send some time with a camera and good light so you can test it for how it looks. How it feels will also be a good indicator; if the thing is designed to have the slit on the left leg, then it'll feel very odd with it directly astern.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
whorton

Post by whorton »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:If you're wearing it to work, I'd suggest wearing the slit in the back, but only if the skirt is actually cut to work that way.

Take a close look at the seams and darts to be sure it's symmetrical all the way around. I doubt that it is. There should be more shape in the back than the front. Wearing the slit in the back when the skirt is designed to have it on the side will look weird at best, like you weren't paying attention when you got dressed at worst.

Given that the skirt is modeled with a side slit, you can be sure tha's where it belongs. A little out there for most offices, but not terrible. You know your work environment and clearly I don't have a clue so take a hard look at what the ladies are wearing.
Thanks for the tips gentlemen. The skirt is much looser that the one pictured and is comfortable for daily ware. I seem to remember a simular style a few years back that had a wider slit in back, I have no idea what the style is called however.

Interesting thing about wearing skirts, it is all new territory for me. At times overwhelming and I have to stop and consider purchases carefully, as I want to buy everything I find! Not to mention the myriad considerations (such as my query) regarding the fun new medium.

Thanks again for the thoughts!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

whorton wrote:I recently purchased a gray ankle length skirt with a slit from the bottom that runs 1/4 length upward. The slit is actually under the manufacturer's label. Which way is preferable to wear? With the slit in back or to the side? Thoughts?
Almost universally, the tag goes in back.

The only exception I know of is bras, where the clasps andelastic in back would interfere with the label. So in that case, the tag usually goes on the left.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Almost universally, the tag goes in back.
As with most things from the distaff side, not always. I have some some stuff where the tag is one the left and some where the tag in the back. When it's in the back it's almost universally because something on the left (e.g. a zipper) would interfere with it. Some pieces have more than one -- usually the brand tag, placed somewhere along the inside of the waistband and another with laundering instructions on it, usually lower down on one of the seams.

It's a crap-shoot.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I also have several skirts where the tags aren't at the back, but not always on the left either, which gets confusing! I end up scrutinising the shape to figure out which bit should be front.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

crfriend wrote:
As with most things from the distaff side, not always. I have some some stuff where the tag is one the left and some where the tag in the back. When it's in the back it's almost universally because something on the left (e.g. a zipper) would interfere with it. Some pieces have more than one -- usually the brand tag, placed somewhere along the inside of the waistband and another with laundering instructions on it, usually lower down on one of the seams.

It's a crap-shoot.
No Tags ? Need to know Front from Back or Left Side from Right Side - simply take a needle and thread and make a small knotted knot in the interior
of the garment to remind you which way is UP !
Another neat way is to take an indelible marker and place a small dot in the interior rear waist.
The trend these days is to go tagless or have the tags somewhere else - left side seam even as far down as the bottom of the hem.
Going tagless may also reveal a screen printed label where the tag would be expected to be - after time this may fade away with laundry and dry cleaning !
So suggestion to go back to the small indelible marker dot.
Some all around pleated skirts can be universally worn at any point about the waist unless the pattern tartan pleating to the set or stripe dictate otherwise ***!
*** Now of course this does not apply to kilts (wearing kilts 101) LOL ! I think it was Richard Branson that made the goofall wearing the pleats in the front
until he was discretely pull aside and told otherwise !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:

It's a crap-shoot.
Yes, I have noticed this. I have a couple skirts that are somewhat of an enigma.

I think generally tags are either on the back or left side. As Carl has stated, sometimes there is a tag on the back and left. This also goes for tops too. Ladies tops generally have a tag on the inner left side towards the waist. Sometimes it will have one on the back by the collar, but this doesn't appear commonly.

It's funny as I put on my "men's" undershirt for work, sometimes I look for that left side tag out of habit, only to find it's not there! :lol:

One thing for certain, tags never seem to be located on the front or right.

I have one skirt (a solid white gypsy one) that has no tags! So it's wearers choice!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have two skirts that have no tags at all or any markings that would say back or front. One has a slit from the hem to about the knee. Is it to be worn on the left side or in the back. To solve this delema I referred to the picture of the model wearing it and found it was to be worn on the left. The other I put on and looked at myself in a full length mirror and then adjusted the skirt to see where it looked right to me and that is the way I wear it. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I have two skirts that have no tags at all or any markings that would say back or front. One has a slit from the hem to about the knee. Is it to be worn on the left side or in the back. To solve this delema I referred to the picture of the model wearing it and found it was to be worn on the left. The other I put on and looked at myself in a full length mirror and then adjusted the skirt to see where it looked right to me and that is the way I wear it. :D
Unless a skirt is symmetrical, "details" usually go on the left (as per female garb tradition). Single slits can go either on the left leg or in the rear, and if there are no markings or other references then wear it where it fits the best. Some skirts have twin slits, and those are usually worn at the sides or, sometimes, forward.

Whether these guidelines are appropriate for guys is certainly open to debate -- and personally, I'd say that whichever way works on you may well be the "right" way.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Four thousand years ago in a previous incarnation I sang 'Lilly Marlene' as 'Marlene Dietrich' in an Am-Dram 20s-30s-40s show and they dressed me up in a long slinky gown with a seriously high slit up the right leg which required me to wear nylons underneath and shave that leg. I ended up shaving both of them. As I was then in my early thirties you can imagine the turn-on at first. I recall the gown was size 14 tall. We did seven performances plus a dress rehearsal, so I got quite good at climbing in & out of it. The spot lasted only 3-4 minutes, then I had to tear it all off and dress up as something else.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
whorton

Post by whorton »

I have more information regarding the infamous skirt. . . I have posted two photographs which should be of assistance The skirt is 36 inches in length, and is pictured full length in the first picture. Notice the split is on the back side, below the labels and zipper! My woman spirit guide (excellent long time friend who supports me). . Tells me the split would in fact go in back for most women, but the every popular side slit would be acceptable.
Img_6006.jpg
The second photograph just shows the skirt partially folded over. . As you will note, it is 36 inches in length.
Img_6007.jpg
I tried to take some pictures of my wearing it, however my photographic skills with the dreaded iPhone 6 are mediocre at best!

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Usually the hips are cut wider in back to allow for the butt.

So with the label, the zipper, and the slit are all lined up, they probably all go in the back. And if you put them on the side, you'll probably see that side being baggier than the other, and the front not seeming uniform. But if it really doesn't make any difference, I guess it doesn't make any difference.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As usual, I pretty much agree with what Caultron said.

Clothing manufacturers almost invariably put the labels at the back of skirts just so you don't have that question as to which is front and back. As Caultron said, it's worth getting right so that you don't have one side or the other bagging.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.