Peasant and elastic tops

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whorton

Peasant and elastic tops

Post by whorton »

peasant blouse 3.jpg
Peasant blouse 1.jpg
peasant blouse 2.jpeg
peasant blouse 3.jpg

I recently found a couple of blouses at the local goodwill, which appear to have never been worn. I have been told that many of the blouses, jeans and other womens articles of clothing are donated by cloths stores as a tax write off. I am curious to know what sort of responses have been received for wearing such items. . .

I have always thought the style was "cute" and it would wear well with jeans or dungarees. The third entry, "Much more colorful," is interesting in that it has elastic at the bottom, and hugs the waistline well. In a strange way, more interesting to wear.

I would also like to know what everyones thoughts on such tops are. Wearable or a bit far out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Peasant and elastic tops

Post by Sinned »

Cccc-on-dddd-I-ttttion-ing. My initial thought was that these were so feminine. But then I put my brain in gear and started to think. My concern would be the same as for many female tops - the neckline which can be low as to show of the female bosom and this subject has been aired on other threads. As for anything else then if there was a high neckline then why not? I don't have any tops like this but MOH may have some tucked away somewhere. I know that she has a dress or two with this type of elasticated peasant top and full knee-length skater skirt which I would be interested to try on ( when she isn't around obviously ) I just can't remember on them how low the neckline is. I think that the top would have to be seen in the context of the whole ensemble and could go well with the right type of trousers also. I know that this is a skirt forum but there is still a time for trousers in the real world. Would I wear one? I don't know - perhaps. I would have to experiment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Would I wear one? The answer to that is YES. I like the style. It would not be hard for me to wear one with a knee length flowing knit skirt. So my suggestion is if you like it, wear it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Those are all fairly thematically similar to poet's/"pirate" shirts marketed to guys (and of which I have a couple I really like). Whether the pictured examples would "work" or not on an individual would be down to experimentation and the geometry of the individual involved.

Of the bunch, I like the plain white ones best.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

If you like them, go for it. Not for me, though.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No. Far too 'femme'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have black blouse along those lines, and since I wear a necessary bra due to my natural boom-booms, I have to wear a black bra due to the low neckline. I also have an ivory colored blouse of the same pattern, but until I win the Battle of the Bulge with my gut I cannot wear it lest I look like a beached whale.

Most of the time I wear men's shirts.

John
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Nice, but no cigar.

I did get one like this.
lacePeasant.jpg
http://www.lanebryant.com/apparel/plus- ... 20selected

A little less than I thought it might be while in the store, but I have worn it out and about. Something more in the middle, I think....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Although I like the style, most blouses styled for woman are too short when worn by men. We have much longer trunks. I
prefer tunic styles that end just below the butt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Poet - Peasant blouses (shirts) and jacobite kilt blouses are pretty much all in the same category.
mikel wrote:Although I like the style, most blouses styled for woman are too short when worn by men. We have much longer trunks. I
True but if you get the top bust chest dimensions and perhaps the waist all in order to your specs the sleeves are going to be TOO SHORT regardless !
So plan on rolling them up to elbow length or a bit higher. With short sleeves; cap sleeves and sleeveless no a problem.

These go excellent with kilts and skirts of any length - a very casual appearance !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

mikel wrote:Although I like the style, most blouses styled for woman are too short when worn by men. We have much longer trunks. I
I have not run into issues of women's blouses being too short. It may be my waist is higher than the typical man.

John
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Arms are the bigger (literally and figuratively) problem for me. I like satin, feminine blouses with bows at the neck... but the sleeves end just below my elbows. I either have to widen the cuff to let it act as a 3/4 sleeve or find matching fabric so I can lengthen it to meet the needs of my gorilla arms.
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Would I wear one? The answer to that is YES. I like the style. It would not be hard for me to wear one with a knee length flowing knit skirt. So my suggestion is if you like it, wear it.
Agreed. However the first four are just not to my taste as when I wear a top that has sleeves, I like them when they are skin tight, I do however like the last one.

As I mentioned in my Moon Phases thread this last post, aside from work, I never wear anything from the men's section anymore. Tops included. I have "women's" tops of all types of configurations. Even a few that are vaguely like the ones above, the biggest difference being, mine have much shorter sleeves.

Tip from a man who wears these things... that draw string can be pulled pretty tight to help keep the wide neck from drooping too low when bending over.
mikel wrote:Although I like the style, most blouses styled for woman are too short when worn by men. We have much longer trunks.
True when worn with men's trousers, but I find them ["women's" blouses and tops] just right for skirts. Hike the skirt high on the waist and allow the top to hang over, it really brings an outfit together. In my opinion, men's tops hanging over skirts makes the outfit look too top heavy.

Not quite a "pirate", but frilly and has draw strings...

You may have to enlarge it to see the draw string... but it's the same "style" top for the most part. BTW, Fred in Skirts is the photographer!
Kirbstone wrote:No. Far too 'femme'.
For femme... go PINK! :lol:

Here's one I almost gave up on as it was VERY large in the breast area. However I pulled it's draw string very tight, to the point where the fabric rolled into it a bit and managed to make the top workable. Now it's one of my favorites. It doesn't have the sleeves though, and it's really not elastic.

Just some thoughts.... (and pics)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Love the look in both pictures, Moon! I think peasant tops are great, though I don't wear them too often.
And congratulations for abandoning the men's section.
------Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Potbelly MacKraken

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

Darryl wrote:Nice, but no cigar.

I did get one like this.
lacePeasant.jpg
http://www.lanebryant.com/apparel/plus- ... 20selected

A little less than I thought it might be while in the store, but I have worn it out and about. Something more in the middle, I think....

Not a whole lotta difference between that blouse "for women" and a ghillie shirt

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 2481a2.jpg