You've got somewhere to go, have anything to wear?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You've got somewhere to go, have anything to wear?

Post by oldsalt1 »

put itc in between and think of hillary
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Ray wrote:The Immigration and Nationalty Services Act 1965 was designed to supersede the above Act. Provisions that excluded certain classes of immigrants based on their political beliefs were revoked by the Immigration Act of 1990.

Just saying. Amazing what you can find on Wikipedia.

Ray
Not really amazing; very useful!
oldsalt1 wrote:da Dictator is better than DA B---H ever could have been.
Thank you for clarifying.
oldsalt1 wrote:If its that bad there is a plane full of Hollywood stars leaving I am sure you can find a seat on it
Whens they comes with their pitchforks to burn the skirt wearing witch man.....
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Ray wrote:I'm guessing you are from the uk. You can wear a skirt but the course leader can fail you if you have the wrong attitude. You'll probably need to be that little bit more attentive and eager to learn to compensate, but that's it. I have been on such a course - in 2013. It's quite insightful. It has resulted in my modifying my driving. Okay, I still drive at 90mph from time to time, but less than before - and I'm much better in built up areas. Mind you, I speed when cycling - 40 in a 30 limit is not uncommon! Quiet times only, lest you think I'm a Lycra psycho...
You are correct, I'm UK based. Thanks for the info, although I didn't think there was a pass/fail; I'll be attentive, though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:Please don't.
I am an old intellectual, now a thoroughly reviled species in what was once my land -- for I have the audacity to actually engage my cerebral cortex, quite unlike the vast herd of mind-slaves around me. One cannot compete with that amount of mass.

There's part of me that's hoping to see the purple flash through closed eyes when Der Fuhrer's bromance with Vladimir Putin goes south and he pitches yet another infantile tantrum. The key at that point will be containing the damage done to the cancer that the USA has become to the world. Radiotherapy on a positively massive scale.

My hopes and wishes belong now to my brothers and sisters overseas. There is nothing left here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think everyone just needs to calm down, the powers that be are going to do what the powers that be are going to do.

Now to get on with the business of how to pass a drivers test with a skirt on....

You've got somewhere to go (The DMV), and you've got something to wear.

Legally I don't think they can fail you for wearing a skirt, unless they ban everyone from wearing a skirt while testing. Being a government organization they must serve all equally. In fact, by being in within the government, the probability is high that the one issuing the test may very well be a trans woman (since they can't work anywhere in the private sector).

In all my business dealings where I AM HANDING OVER MONEY, I wear whatever the hell I want. I'm the paying customer after all. This goes for private and public places alike.

You have to be careful when you're transacting in situations where you are one the RECEIVING end of the money. Such as looking for work, or applying for a loan.

Example:

To buy a house:
Meet with bank: Proper trousers, and shirt, clean appearance, nothing flamboyant, conservative, traditional, male.

Meet with realtor: Sundress, floral skirts, lacy tops... really what ever you want... it's your money.

Exception:

To RENT a house:
Depends, if dealing with a professional rental agency or realtor, wear whatever you want. If dealing with a slack jawed backward good ol' boy landlord from the sticks.... best wear the male uniform- get a solid lease, and understand you may be quickly evicted when the lease expires.

As a weekend only skirter, and otherwise after hours, I don't get to transact much in government buildings with a skirt on, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

I am the man (probably the first and only man) to tour the West Virginia capital building wearing a non-kilt skirt. (at the time, a black Macabi, but would do it again in a pink floral dress if I wanted to)

I have never even stepped foot in a state where it's actually illegal to discriminate on the basis of male skirt wearing, or any LGBT issue for that matter, so by all rights, virtually every place I go is within their legal right to turn me away...

...and yet it has NEVER happened.

So just be cool man! Take your test and don't worry about it. If they give you any grief... lawyer up!
partlyscot wrote:I don't think you identify as such, but I wonder what your response will be if it affects your ability to wear a a skirt in public?
Over my dead body!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well tomorrow will be a very busy day. :) First I have to have blood taken and then to the county offices to pay my car tax, then to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get my drivers license renewed and get my car tags. :-? I will do all of this skirted probably wearing my ankle length navy blue skirt with a chambray short sleeve blouse. :thumright: I have done this before skirted and have had no problems at all. :shifty:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

At age 70 I had to have a 'medical' to renew my driver's licence. I hadn't been to see another medicine man for ten years and was advised by 'my' Dr. to have bloods taken to detect all sorts of things, nothing to do with the driver's licence medical. A week later the results came back and my GP looked into his screen solemnly & said....Well, whatever you're doing (health-wise) I would recommend you continue to do, because all your readings are right in the middle of here they're supposed to be. Zero pills.

Three years later at 73 the same procedure was required. This time performed by 'my' GP's son, now taking over the practice. He said simply that if there was anything to report on my bloods he would contact me. Nothing. This year I'm rising 75 so I'll have to go through all that rigmarole again next year. 'They' require that it be done annually after age 80. Something to look forward to....

I dress conventionally for these encounters, as is expected of me.

This coming Friday I DO have somewhere to go...Kerry, and I DO have something to wear...a pleated skirt, grey tights and slender slip-ons. Love it!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've worn my skirts to the County Clerk's office to renew my driver's license as well as my annual registration and property taxes for the car. No problems at all.

Just be wary of invitations to a Highland Fling !!! :D
HighlandFling.jpg
I understand the ladies were willing to pay $20 a ticket.... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Wow! What a difference a day can make!

Not knowing where else to begin I'll try to start at the beginning of these responses. Moonshadow is correct I used the term "whackjob Trumpettes" in jest. To begin with Moon had, in good humor, taken some jabs at us Northerners so I took the opportunity to return in kind. I used the term "whackjobs" because that is how the Right Wing and The Donald refers to us Liberals so I took my opportunity to turn it back on you. I thought it was clear that I meant all this lightheartedly, but to try to reinforce that perception I referred to us West Coasters as "denizens of the Left Coast." "Left Coast" is the snide the Right uses to refer to the West Coast and its Liberal inclinations. I purposely used the term "denizen" because while it isn't a derogatory term, it's very sound implies an unsavoriness. Got it now Oldsalt1?

I mean really, just because you choice in Presidential candidates has a paper thin skin and no sense of humor doesn't mean you have to be that way too.

As far as the acting Attorney General having the right and responsibility to say something is illegal or unConstitutional, absolutely. And that would extend to directing her staff not to enforce something she felt was illegal or unConstitutional. Can the President fire the AG for doing that? Absolutely. As Oldsalt said, the AG serves at the pleasure of the President.

That is NOT in contravention of the Constitution because Cabinet officers are members of the Executive branch. In fact, the Constitution makes no mention of the Cabinet. It does give the President the power and authority to hire and fire such officers as he may feel necessary with the "advice and consent" (on the hiring side) of the Senate.

Executive Orders have the effect of law, but can't contravene it. A major use is filling in the gaps. For instance, there was nothing in law segregating the US Army units by race; it was just the Army's practice. Consequently, when Pres. Truman devided it was time to change that, he integrated the military via an Executive Order.

That is why when Congress wouldn't consider an increase in the minimum wage, President Obama used an Executive Order to set a higher minimum waye for federal government employees and the employees of federal contractors with an executive order. He has jurisdiction over those people, but only Congress has the authority to raise it universally.

It's clear that Pres. Trump issued his executive order without checking it for legality because the acting Attorney General is precisely the person he would ask for that opinion. Nor did he run it by the departments of: Homeland Security, Defense or State for the implications.

Wouldn't a prudent President run a proposed executive order like this by all of those departments? Of course he would! Oldsalt this is the crux of the concern so many of us have that man, he isn't prudent, he has virtually no impulse control. I'm not calling names here, I'm quoting his biographers and ghostwriters.

As to reliable sources of US news, despite what Moon and others have said, the NY Times is the gold standard. Their editorial policy is left of center, but they limit their opinions to the editorial page. They also pioneered the op-ed page. If you want unbiased and in-depth radio or TV reporting, you can't beat NPR, which interestingly runs a lot of pieces produced by the BBC. Finally, I find the Economist does a great job of going in-depth on stories and providing often overlooked perspectives. For instance they recently had an article on manufacturing employment in the US complete with a graph showing its steady decline to the current 7-8%. That sidebar showed that employment in manufacturing as a percentage of a given country's workforce is declining WORLDWIDE.

I watch a lot of CNN. Probably too much. It's basically accurate however it is left-leaning, the Trump supporters they bring on for balance tend to be cartoonish rather than insightful consequently, it's more infotainment than as informative as I would like. Try PBS's Newshour for civil, balanced, in-depth reporting. PBS is the TV equivalent of NPR and together they're the US's answer to the BBC.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Hey, dudes, can't there be some mechanism where a thread, that not only goes WAY off topic but strays far from this section (freestyle fashion), gets reassigned to the OFF TOPIC section? Politics are important these days, but can't we keep that subject out of this area? Just wondering.

I could combine the topics by saying that a couple of days ago I wore a skirt AND a pink "pussyhat"! For once the hat got more compliments than the skirt.

------Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dave, thanks for the news references. Moon, thanks also. Much appreciated.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Ray wrote:Carl - and others from the USA:

Can you give me some guidance on where best to pick up USA-based news? I know that Fox News, for example, has a strong bias so that's out. I'm less aware of outlets having a bias the other way but I see no point in reading these either.

Are there newspapers, websites etc that are perceived as reasonably impartial? I'm seeking to understand what's going on in your country (I can say - impartially - that there are issues of some concern as perceived in Europe) in the most open way. It's early days, but I have looked at the Washington Post and the Boston Globe, and have quickly looked at USA Today.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Ray
You might also look at some of these
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Skirtingtheissue,

Point well taken.

Those of you still interested in the political digression, please look in Off Topic for a variation of this title. Oldsalt1, please make the hop as I have an open response to a couple of the points you made.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Those of you still interested in the political digression, please look in Off Topic for a variation of this title.
That is a capital idea!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!