Masculinely feminine or femininely masculine?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Masculinely feminine or femininely masculine?

Post by moonshadow »

Some cool looks I've found on pinterest and I thought I'd share them here...

It's interesting because [to me anyway] these looks just "look right". Almost as though despite the various positions here and there that "men don't look good in this or that", it seems that somehow, it is possible to pull it off....

...maybe it's just good photography?

Let's start with this one... Nothing says "man" like a buzz cut and a cigarette. Completing the look is an out of place short cropped denim jacket and what appears to be a duffle bag of sorts. Under all of that appears to be a very elegant white formal dress?

Logic says "it's wrong", yet somehow.... it appeals to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, this may or may not be a photoshop. The feet seem too small, yet the rest of the legs, arms and hands do seem manly. Regardless of the possible photoshopping, the point remains that I also find this look agreeable, I'm not really crazy about the side skin for myself, but as men generally enjoy showing off their upper half, this interestingly seems like somewhat of a masculine dress.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is probably a legit photo. The feet are big enough to be mens.
It is another example of an excellent dress that seems very adaptable for a mans body. Good flare are the shoes are nice too!
I think his phone is upside down though... :cheese:

That seems like enough for tonight! I'd be curious to get some feedback. Any men here in for some of these looks and styles?

I know I am.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Masculinely feminine or femininely masculine?

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

OK, I get what you mean for the first picture. When you look at the individual elements, they shouldn't work together; yet they do. It's not a style I'd choose, though.

The second doesn't gel with me, at all. But, to each his own.

I actually quite like the third. If I were to choose any, that'd be the one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...]Nothing says "man" like a buzz cut and a cigarette.
Sinead O'Connor? Britney Spears?

Gotta be careful with those stereotypes. :lol:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I'm not really crazy about the 1st 2 and it took a few looks to get 100% sold on the 3rd.

The first shot, looks like the guy escaped from a POW camp and grabbed the first thing he could find to cover his nakedness after his pants got caught in the barbed wire.

The fellow in the 2nd shot needs to shave and find some shoes to go with the dress before the photoshoot. Then he'd probably look fine.

Maybe if the 3rd fellow hadn't lopped off his shoes I would have warmed up to the 3rd outfit sooner. I'm envious he has the hair for straddling the fashion lines. Because I sure don't!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:The first shot, looks like the guy escaped from a POW camp and grabbed the first thing he could find to cover his nakedness after his pants got caught in the barbed wire.
I just about split my sides laughing when I came across the quote above. :lol:

I really liked the third shot.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jokes about singers and starlets aside, here's my opinion on the three looks.

The first one simply looks too conflicted to make much sense. The buzz-cut doesn't work well and denim does not "go" particularly well with chiffon. There's too much going on on too many divergent paths. Perhaps it could be made to work with different accessories, but in this case it looks forced. (Or, part of a jailbreak.)

The second one actually works surprisingly well, but as with some of the other commentary the guy needs to find a pair of shoes. The five o'clock shadow, sadly is a now-accepted look and more than a few guys actually crop them that way thinking it looks good. Sorry, guys. The dress is interesting, but it looks only appropriate for a rather small subset of body-types.

The third one screams "cute!" in a sappy 1950s way. If that's what floats your boat, then fine. It's just not a look I could adopt.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I could be tempted to wear the third one.

A halter-top with nothing to halt? Ummmmmmm.... No, I'd have to limit myself to one or two shoulder straps or a sleeved or un-sleeved full-front and back garment. I don't think halter tops or strapless gowns work on guys (as guys). Not for me.

(I also have problems with heels longer than you'd find on a "cowboy" boot.)

The first one is a floor-sweeper. Nope. Can't really tell if the bodice is stuffed or its just the cut... Some guys have medical conditions that perhaps could make it work, but at the expense of making people unaware of the condition wonder. I have a white skirt and wear it now and then, but its not fuzzy/frilly like the first dress. Not for me.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have to go with the consensus that the first two just do not work for me. I do think
I would wear the third outfit as it seems quite Nice and I like the flare of the skirt. I also like the shoes as well.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:Jokes about singers and starlets aside, here's my opinion on the three looks.

The first one simply looks too conflicted to make much sense. The buzz-cut doesn't work well and denim does not "go" particularly well with chiffon. There's too much going on on too many divergent paths. Perhaps it could be made to work with different accessories, but in this case it looks forced. (Or, part of a jailbreak.)

The second one actually works surprisingly well, but as with some of the other commentary the guy needs to find a pair of shoes. The five o'clock shadow, sadly is a now-accepted look and more than a few guys actually crop them that way thinking it looks good. Sorry, guys. The dress is interesting, but it looks only appropriate for a rather small subset of body-types.

The third one screams "cute!" in a sappy 1950s way. If that's what floats your boat, then fine. It's just not a look I could adopt.
I was actually looking at some Google images before coming on this site, and it seems that mixing a short denim jacket, and especially a black leather biker jacket, with a crinoline tutu is considered stylish. You may not think it acceptable, Carl, but as in most things, someone else sets the styles and the policies. It's a bit like gas prices. All you can do is hold your breath and stamp your feet!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:You may not think it acceptable, Carl, but as in most things, someone else sets the styles and the policies. It's a bit like gas prices. All you can do is hold your breath and stamp your feet!
Indeed, and I don't get my knickers in a knot over it. It's just that my sense of style is slightly older than the craze for denim. Some of that is a personal revulsion to the notion of the urban cowboy, some of it is that I detest the feel of the stuff, and some of it is down to the fact that it's so ubiquitous as to be nothing more than visual noise. I am naturally drawn to the different and the attractive, not the mindlessly identical "rebel without a clue" look.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:... mindlessly identical "rebel without a clue" look.
That description is so apt; even rebels wear uniforms... Ours just happen to comprise myriad skirts and occasional dresses :D
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Am I wrong but third one looks a lot like moonshadow if it is it is one of his best pictures
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Nothing there that I would wear.
In fact, not even women wear things like that these days !

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Couya wrote:In fact, not even women wear things like that these days !
Modern women might perhaps wear those sorts of things once or twice, but not very often at all. The first one looks rather like a wedding dress and the middle one a prom dress. The third look is as entirely obsolete as most of mine.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Am I wrong but third one looks a lot like moonshadow if it is it is one of his best pictures
I'm afraid it's not me, but I do envy his hair though!

And I also take that as a compliment as he strikes me as a good lookin' fella!
crfriend wrote:Modern women might perhaps wear those sorts of things once or twice, but not very often at all. The first one looks rather like a wedding dress and the middle one a prom dress. The third look is as entirely obsolete as most of mine.
Modern women, like modern men.... are boring. Seems like nobody appreciates the art that is clothing like they used to.

Anyway, it seems as though favor is granted on this thread the third and final photo. I tend to agree, it is the most "ordinary" of the three, and yes if I were to happen upon a dress like that I'd be happy to take it home!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.