Leggings

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Leggings

Post by dillon »

Thanks for that link, Ralph.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

I have some leggings including for running and one jegging. With a longshirt it is skinny. ;) Nobody notice that.
BorderXing

Post by BorderXing »

I have been seeing men wear compression pants/leggings while biking for years. Then I started to notice running leggings and now compression pants/leggings for hiking. Serious investment so I've been waiting. I found a pair of women's leggings at Under Armor online for 50% off. I checked the size chart and figured a medium would work. My rule of thumb is "if I can get what I want in men's department - that is my first choice". I went with the women's because 1) men's were not on sale, 2) the women's medium was a better match to my size than either men's small (no way) or medium (too long). The men's option had a wide elastic waist band covered with UA logos, the women's had a cloth waist band and one small logo on the side of one calf.

I've been wearing them around the house mostly under skirts but sometimes jeans. I have worn them with a skirt to the store a couple of times. I wasn't really feeling all that excited about the look. I wore them on a hike one time but felt like everyone in the parking lot was staring at my crotch. I was going out today for a longer 2-3 hour hike. Started out with the UA leggings and a wrap around skirt (from across the border) in a outdoor water resistant fabric. I'm also doing nail color this week end so I felt a little over the top with that and skirt and leggings. When I got to the park entrance I put on my boots and left the skirt in the truck and went with just leggings. It was great. I went by a main entrance near a campground where there were lots of people. I was covered in mud so several people wanted to know what trails I had been on. I did a lot of pointing and hand gestures so people knew they were in the presence of someone with a different sense of style. I was really glad the skirt stayed in the truck.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

In chilly weather I wear leggings under a utility kilt and they work out fine. The difference in public reaction between a skirt and a skirt with leggings is essentially zero.

Asa humorous side note, several times I've been out in a utility kilt and leggings and someone has asked, "So, do you wear anything underneath that?"
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Actually Caultron I do hope nothing is worn under your skirt. Things that get worn tend to break eventually your know..........Ducking and diving............ :D :cheers:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hoborob wrote:Actually Caultron I do hope nothing is worn under your skirt. Things that get worn tend to break eventually your know..........Ducking and diving............ :D :cheers:
Think about it. They can see I have leggings or tights on. Legging and tights go to the waist. But they still ask...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

WATCH OUT, GUYS!
From the Boston Globe:http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... story.html
United defends decision to bar two girls from flight for wearing leggings
Jonathan Guerin, a spokesman for United Airlines, confirmed that two teenage girls were told they could not board a flight from Denver to Minneapolis because their leggings violated the company’s dress code policy for “pass travelers,” a company benefit that allows United employees and their dependents to travel for free on a standby basis.

Guerin said pass travelers are “representing” the company and as such as not allowed to wear Lycra and spandex leggings, tattered or ripped jeans, midriff shirts, flip-flops or any article of clothing that shows their undergarments.
So I guess the message is, if you're going to wear leggings on a United plane, make sure they're not Lycra or Spandex.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

skirtingtheissue wrote:WATCH OUT, GUYS!
From the Boston Globe:http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... story.html
United defends decision to bar two girls from flight for wearing leggings
Jonathan Guerin, a spokesman for United Airlines, confirmed that two teenage girls were told they could not board a flight from Denver to Minneapolis because their leggings violated the company’s dress code policy for “pass travelers,” a company benefit that allows United employees and their dependents to travel for free on a standby basis.

Guerin said pass travelers are “representing” the company and as such as not allowed to wear Lycra and spandex leggings, tattered or ripped jeans, midriff shirts, flip-flops or any article of clothing that shows their undergarments.
So I guess the message is, if you're going to wear leggings on a United plane, make sure they're not Lycra or Spandex.
According to that article, the dress code only applies to employees of United and their dependents who travel on their planes for free. I assume that the dress code does not apply to paying passengers.
らき☆
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Judah14 wrote:According to that article, the dress code only applies to employees of United and their dependents who travel on their planes for free. I assume that the dress code does not apply to paying passengers.
Yes, I see you are correct. Still, interesting that leggings make the news.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Judah14 wrote:According to that article, the dress code only applies to employees of United and their dependents who travel on their planes for free. I assume that the dress code does not apply to paying passengers.
Yeah, but somebody thinks teenage girls in leggings aren't everyday fashion? Really? What's next? Flight attendants in burkas?

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtingtheissue wrote:So I guess the message is, if you're going to wear leggings on a United plane, make sure they're not Lycra or Spandex.
This only applies to employees and their dependents flying for free on that airline. If you are not one of these you can wear what ever you want. I fly in a skirt all of the time usually with knee high compression stockings in a matching color. I have never had any problem and in fact have had better treatment from some of the FAs. The last time I flew I was wearing everything from the other side of the store. I had on a mid calf length skirt, a woman's top, knee-highs, and the unmentionables. I was presenting as a male and not as woman.
Caultron wrote: What's next? Flight attendants in burkas?
Fly on an Arab owned airline. You will find that some of the female attendants do wear burkas.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

And they still call it the land of the free. Unbelievable for somebody from Europe.
I still don't understand the use of the dress code. Those pass holders represent the company. Really? So what. Are they branded with the logo of United on their foreheads. Nobody will notice they are having a free ride, they might look like any other passenger. If they are payed by the company to interact with the public, than it is understandable.
And look at the rules themselve. Only a few that could be meant for males but all other rules are mainly for females. Ridiculous squared.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I find it difficult to believe, but this silly little trope managed to make the television (boob tube?) "news" this afternoon. There were no images of the offending garments but plenty of twits [0] from the Internet. I guess it's a slow news day -- even with all the ripe targets just waiting for harvesting from DC [1].

However, let's see. Teenagers. Check. "Leggings". Check. Probably no fashion sense whatsoever (see the first two). Check. I'd be willing to wager that the things were tight enough to put their personal grooming habits front and centre. Twits. Bad combination to be sure, but certainly not worth wasting "news" airtime for. Fail -- all the way around, and by all participants.

[0] I categorically refuse to call such "communication" "tweets".
[1] District of Columbia (Columbia being a very old name for the New World); also known sarcastically as the Alabaster City.
[2] Use your imagination.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Caultron wrote: What's next? Flight attendants in burkas?
Fly on an Arab owned airline. You will find that some of the female attendants do wear burkas.
I'm not certain that such an assertion is completely accurate. According to Cabin Crew Excellence, only the Saudi national carrier "permits" cabin crew to wear a hijab (a head scarf); none appear to require it and almost certainly no burqas.

It is true that some airlines have told cabin crew flying to Arab states that they should wear head scarves when they disembark in those countries, but that is a mark of respect towards those countries' "traditions" of modesty; airlines often consider themselves "ambassadors" and expect their staff to act accordingly.
beachlion wrote:And they still call it the land of the free. Unbelievable for somebody from Europe. I still don't understand the use of the dress code. Those pass holders represent the company. Really? So what. Are they branded with the logo of United on their foreheads. Nobody will notice they are having a free ride, they might look like any other passenger. If they are payed by the company to interact with the public, than it is understandable.
And look at the rules themselve. Only a few that could be meant for males but all other rules are mainly for females. Ridiculous squared.
Actually, "dress standards" are common to most airlines when concessionary travel is used by staff and their family. As a teenage boy, I was not permitted to wear jeans when travelling on British Airways flights in the 70s/80s. Part of the reasoning is that other airlines might offer carriage to the staff (I flew on Air Malta, Al Italia and Lufthansa on British Airways concessions). Also, whilst the travel is concessionary, it is entirely possible that the staff and family may be accommodated in any available seats - they might be in business or first class (I flew "Club Class" at least once). Furthermore, the cabin crew are often aware when staff concessionary travel is being used by passengers because families are often the last to board the aircraft and might not be sitting together - two fairly obvious "tells".

Different airlines have differing "standards"; I understand that Lufthansa currently require men to wear collared shirts and ties for travel.

I am aware that "social media" has been active, but inaccurate, about the events; leading to disingenuous news reports. The staff knew (or certainly ought to have known) about the standards required for concessionary travel. Using the media to aire their "grievances" is unlikely to achieve a change in airline policy towards staff concessionary travel, but might "backfire" with the potential for disciplinary action for bringing the airline into disrepute. It is possible the concessions might be withdrawn for that member of staff, or tightened for all!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I worked for a major biggie airline for 29 years and I could always spot our non-rev passengers.
Due to the dress code restrictions the guys looked like penguins dressed in their tuxedos and the
gals in conservative fashion heels and dresses (not skirts) - something out of a 1940's movietone reel.
On flights to from Hawaii suit coats ties and the full nine yards of executive business clothing was
required with no taking the jacket off in flight to get comfortable.
Penalties were stiff - free travel forfeited for a time TBA or forever - passes pulled at destination
with revenue tickets having to be purchased to get back home to return to the job.

The crowd at the end of boarding thinned the ranks to see the non-revs waiting to get that coveted
FREE seat and it was usually in First Class - but now with the Frequent Flyer programs running amok
having pushed the non-revs to the back of the bus. The traffic being what it is non-rev travel is not
the pleasure it used to be but the dress code has only begun to evolve so the employee is not a
walking ridiculous advertisement of the airline company. Things have eased off and business casual
is the theme for the male (collared polo type shirt kakhi pants closed toe shoes).
For the adult female knee length skirts dresses with blouses - pantsuits and as always more liberty
than the male counterpart (always an issue here at SC).
For the children it is dressing like going to a Sunday church meeting !

BUT STILL YET THIS IS SO STUPID TO STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD INSTEAD OF BLENDING IN !
And what is the revenue crowd wearing leggings mini-skirts short shorts and other abbreviated gear
T shirts on men holey ripped jeans and some like they just came from the gym in sneakers and flip-flops.
Thankfully bare feet are banned for safety issues.

Some of you no doubt have seen the YouTube Videos "The People of Wal*Mart" there should be an
airline edition !

This recent issue on a United flight could have been handled a great deal more tactfully and avoided
bad press for United and the humiliation of the family of one of its employees.
Nothing quite like feeding the media frenzy on a slow day with all the ill publicity because of someone's
poor judgment be it the gate agent or the traveling employee.
Side note the employee family traveling should have been stopped at the check-in counter to amend
their clothing choice for flight !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !