Earrings!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earrings!

Post by rick401r »

I'm kind of ashamed to admit It but when my wife did my ear with a needle, with no numbing, I stood up, walked into the living room and passed out, gashing my head on the coffee table. I'm such a wimp! Went to the mall for the second hole and they used the gun. It was almost painless.
I have another piercing, not in my ear, that was done in a tattoo/piercing parlor. That was done with a needle without any numbing. It stung like hell but it turned out okay.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Lots of people get their ears pierced with the gun and have no problems, but I did have problem and wouldn't use that method again.

The problem wasn't actually with the gun but with the starter earrings. My ear swelled quite a bit and the earrings ended up buried in swollen flesh. Once I ended up with an infection and had to see the doctor, and the once I had to remove the earrings and replace them with hoops. But getting the hoops inserted in the unhealed holes was a mess and that's how I ended up with keloids.

The advantage, for me, of going to a tattoo or piercing ship is that they have earrings with long enough shafts to accommodate the swelling.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

Milfmog wrote:Nah... It's just so cold in the empty, frozen wastes north of Watford that your ears are already frozen :D
you're not wrong Milfmog, i think summer has deserted the North of the UK .... not had a decent one for years and today was abysmal, howling wind and rain and cold enough to require wearing a jumper, it did finally warm up later this afternoon but by then most of the day had gone
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Reaper_Man wrote:you're not wrong Milfmog, i think summer has deserted the North of the UK .... not had a decent one for years and today was abysmal, howling wind and rain and cold enough to require wearing a jumper, it did finally warm up later this afternoon but by then most of the day had gone
Sounds like where I live in the western part of San Francisco if you replace the rain with dripping fog down to the treetops. :blue:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Caultron has likely hit the nail on the head when it comes to having piercings done. Often our bodies have certain sensitivities and we may or may not be aware of them until we are exposed to the material we are sensitive too. There are people that are sensitive to Nickel which is often used in earing studs and those people should not have piercings done with regular studs as they will react badly to having that metal present on the skin much less in an unhealed open wound which is what a fresh piercing is. Unfortunately there isn't really a reliable way to test for this so it does occur, the upside is that most people do not have this sensitivity and thus using regular piercing studs is no problem for them. So it's not the gun in reality but the stud itself that causes most of the problems. The remainder of the difficulties are usually due to the person not following the piercers instruction for aftercare to prevent those problems.

In the end follow the piercers instructions and you should be fine, but if an infection starts see a medical professional immediately to prevent a really bad situation from occurring.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Reaper_Man wrote:you're not wrong Milfmog, i think summer has deserted the North of the UK .... not had a decent one for years and today was abysmal, howling wind and rain and cold enough to require wearing a jumper, it did finally warm up later this afternoon but by then most of the day had gone
Sounds like where I live in the western part of San Francisco if you replace the rain with dripping fog down to the treetops. :blue:
As Mark Twain wrote "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco."
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

oh well, those 50cm everyday earrings i mentioned in a previous post didn't last too long, i broke one of them today, now i have to find replacements :(
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

50 centimeter rings [almost 20 inches]? That's HUGE. I think you meant 50 millimeters.

I know I'm nit-picking. :D

John
Last edited by JohnH on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Reaper Man sorry to hear about the earrings! I don't usually break them I lose them which happened to the set that I add that I believe the style is called Huggies I have three out of the four so will have to find a way to replace that. That's easy enough done as I bought them from Amazon .
That makes me wonder if you could not get your 50 cm earrings there also.
The ones I bought from Amazon feature hey hinge at the bottom and they open up a wire is a big curved inserted three-year hole and then close it shut their nice click that let you know that you got them close securely. Might check that out.
For other ear rings try typing in the search field "mens dangle earrings", that's how I found mine.

Thanks for all the post guys! As an addition question what's your favorite pair of earrings?
Take care
Bill and serve Brinkley the exuberant my Leader Dog
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

9heo20w.jpg
I have a pair like these that I really like. I got them off of Ebay for around $75. I had a jeweler look at them and say that new they would be around $200-$300.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Liino

Post by Liino »

Hi All, earrings, well I have had my done for about 20 years now, I wear a pair of diamond studs and have not taken them out in 7 years now, am due for another pair of somethings now. So one hole in each ear, maybe some small hoops or rings for change, or bigger diamonds. Many asked about both ears, but issues, but I also hit a trend some years ago in which 2 were ears done made a bold statement with nothing meant by it. I have considered more holes on each ear, maybe once I have changed jobs.
Fun stuff though!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JohnH wrote:50 centimeter rings [almost 20 inches]? That's HUGE. I think you meant 50 millimeters.

I know I'm nit-picking. :D

John
Yah, I dont know how you Euros keep up with all those decimal points. It has to be a German thing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Even though I was brought up with metric in school chemistry, maths and physics in my normal everyday life I think in Imperial. When they talk on TV about 80 kilometres I have only a vague inclination as to how far that is. But if you said 50 miles then I know precisely. Kilometres/hour, not a clue, weights I am a bit better at but only by knowing that a kilogramme is just over two pounds. But multiply this up to say 35 kilogrammes and I have to mentally convert. I am starting to get the hang of Centigrade but still prefer Fahrenheit. Old money as opposed to new as I call it. Maybe coming out of the EU will stop this creeping metrication but I doubt it.

On the theme of this thread I wear a single stud ear-ring in each lobe and vary it from small hearts, through small diamonds to other small designs. I have a pair of small hoops but I don't wear them very often as I find them difficult to get on. Where the gap in the loop is there is a smaller curved tube that slides into the larger diameter tube of the hoop itself. I have to get MOH to put them in and take them out. I have no intention of getting multiple ear-rings or wear danglies because I haven't seen any danglies that hit my fancy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Silverwhisper

Post by Silverwhisper »

I have a total of 4 earrings including studs and an industrial. I also have many dangling earrings, but I do not wear them often.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Can't wait until I can retire and can tell the world to kiss my ass... I collect jingles on the beautiful NC beaches...those are nearly translucent small shells that radiate color depending on the mineralogy under which they formed. Some are black-translucent, others gold-translucent. Both are lovely. I will begin matching similar ones in pairs, athhough others will be just single-ear earrings. If I was able to go to the protected pristine beaches of the Outer Banks, I'd be collecting shells like conchs that are too big for jewelry.