The Wonder of Women's Clothes: My History

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Wonder of Women's Clothes: My History

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:...In mid-June a friend of mine and I are going to present a workshop on "Freestyle Fashion" at a naturist event in Pennsylvania...
I love it.

For years my definition of frustration has been a cross-dresser at a nudist colony.

Kind of like the definition of nothing being a balloon without the skin.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow: Thanks for the kind words. I will do all I can to be myself, I'm too damn old to be anybody else! :lol: As for your clothes not quite matching, well, that's what experimentation is all about, straightening that stuff out! I hope you will become as at peace with yourself as a fashion freestyler as I have.

kilty: I appreciate the kind words. I remember it took a wee bit of time for me to discover the joys of pencil skirts and how good they look on me, but then, I don't discriminate as I enjoy wearing all manner of skirts!

skirtingtheissue: I'm glad you were able to identify with how I feel about fashion freedom which I enjoy so much. As for reading my post at your workshop, sure, go for it! That would be awesome!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Caultron wrote:
skirtingtheissue wrote:...In mid-June a friend of mine and I are going to present a workshop on "Freestyle Fashion" at a naturist event in Pennsylvania...
I love it.
For years my definition of frustration has been a cross-dresser at a nudist colony....
We have pondered that. Identifying a nude crossdresser isn't that easy, since body hair shaving and painted nails are not necessarily indicative. Tan lines made by a bikini probably would be, though naturists usually avoid swimsuits. However, naturists do wear clothes when it's chilly, and we wear whatever we want EXCEPT lingerie - that's considered very poor taste.

Historical note -- it was at a naturist gathering that I first saw a guy in a skirt, and THAT prompted my investigating men wearing skirts, and THAT led to my discovery of Skirt Café!!
-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

JeffB1959 wrote:moonshadow: Thanks for the kind words. I will do all I can to be myself, I'm too damn old to be anybody else! :lol: As for your clothes not quite matching, well, that's what experimentation is all about, straightening that stuff out! I hope you will become as at peace with yourself as a fashion freestyler as I have.

kilty: I appreciate the kind words. I remember it took a wee bit of time for me to discover the joys of pencil skirts and how good they look on me, but then, I don't discriminate as I enjoy wearing all manner of skirts!!
I have always loved the way a tight skirt feels as it clings to my hips and bum when I walk, sometimes it is at a disadvantage if the slit at the back isn't generous enough for me to walk without shuffling like a penguin. I think you opened my eyes to a range of pencil skirts in denim and liked how you accessorize them too. I think we can't look like one half is a man, the bottom half is a woman so unless its a denim skirt at a party where I have just thrown on any top, inspiration from the women's dept does help. I am looking for blouses and cardigans for my formal skirts for when I start work next Monday. The employer knows about my clothing preferences 8)
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I don't usually make comments about photos here, whether because of the poor lighting or because the clothing is not what I like, but Jeff's pictures are always good and stylish and worth a compliment.
On the other hand, I don't feel that my skirts are women's clothes or that they need to be complemented by articles that are not comfortable (heels or tight-sleeved tops, for example). I use shoulder bags, practical and useful, even though people have told me they look too gay. I'd like to wear pencil skirts, but they are just not practical if one likes to cycle or walk with a long stride, as I do.
Carry on, Jeff, and give us more examples of your smart outfits.

Martin
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Couya wrote:I use shoulder bags, practical and useful, even though people have told me they look too gay.
Martin
I wonder why they call shoulder bags gay, as I use one and no one minds at all, and have seen other men use them. Maybe it has something got to do with the design of the bag?
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Judah14 wrote:
Couya wrote:I use shoulder bags, practical and useful, even though people have told me they look too gay.
Martin
I wonder why they call shoulder bags gay, as I use one and no one minds at all, and have seen other men use them. Maybe it has something got to do with the design of the bag?
Since I am usually skirted when I have one, what anyone thinks of my bag is pretty much inconsequential, relatively speaking.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Couya wrote:I don't usually make comments about photos here, whether because of the poor lighting or because the clothing is not what I like, but Jeff's pictures are always good and stylish and worth a compliment.
On the other hand, I don't feel that my skirts are women's clothes or that they need to be complemented by articles that are not comfortable (heels or tight-sleeved tops, for example). I use shoulder bags, practical and useful, even though people have told me they look too gay. I'd like to wear pencil skirts, but they are just not practical if one likes to cycle or walk with a long stride, as I do.

Martin
Thanks for the kind words. I'll continue doing the very best I can. As for handbags, I've never been told anything I carry looks "gay", in fact, I've gotten compliments here and there on my purses.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

The term "purse" has been in use for about a thousand years, with variants in dozens of languages. A purse is simply a bag used for money or other personal items, and was never peculiar to one sex (anymore than skirts are). It is only since about 1955 that what was formerly called a "handbag", i.e. a purse, came to be associated with females.

I have two that I like, and use regularly. One is simple black leather, and the other is a super nice bag that I got at Fossil from their wide selection of purses for men. It is a waxed brown canvas with useful divisions and a good double latch closure. It lists for $140.00 or so, but I got it on sale for 60% off, plus a further discount because of a minor mark. Total came to $39.00 and tax.

Get a purse. Carry a purse. Use a purse. You'll be glad you did.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

bobmoore wrote:The term "purse" has been in use for about a thousand years, with variants in dozens of languages. A purse is simply a bag used for money or other personal items, and was never peculiar to one sex (anymore than skirts are). It is only since about 1955 that what was formerly called a "handbag", i.e. a purse, came to be associated with females.

I have two that I like, and use regularly. One is simple black leather, and the other is a super nice bag that I got at Fossil from their wide selection of purses for men. It is a waxed brown canvas with useful divisions and a good double latch closure. It lists for $140.00 or so, but I got it on sale for 60% off, plus a further discount because of a minor mark. Total came to $39.00 and tax.

Get a purse. Carry a purse. Use a purse. You'll be glad you did.
Fully agree, Bob. And if you want a more outdoor look, check out Overland Equipment.

REI outlet has some of their stuff on sale. I have the Bayliss and Isabella bags, and think this price is not bad, though colors are limited.

https://www.rei.com/b/overland-equipmen ... le|main|NB
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

bobmoore wrote:Get a purse. Carry a purse. Use a purse. You'll be glad you did.
I already do. :lol:
In fact it is a bit of an addiction, I have about eight purses made of upholstery fabric that I use all the time. As a birthday present for myself last month, I bought a smaller Italian leather purse that will be perfect for everyday use after I retire. It's big enough to hold my wallet and a few other things, but not as large as my fabric purses which were sized to carry a couple of magazines or a book.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I like the use of my hands. I'll use a backpack, or sometimes just a beltpack.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Jim wrote:
I like the use of my hands. I'll use a backpack, or sometimes just a beltpack.
The Overland bags I wear are cross-body, and the straps on some have quick release so they can also be worn at the waist as belt-bags. Hands not really needed, unless you feel insecure in an environment and opt to hold on to it. For my preferences, a backpack is a bit cumbersome, and just not stylish, IMO, for an evening out; I don't care to look like a student on my way to class, or to have my back partly soaked with sweat under a pack in our humid weather. And if you use only one strap of a backpack, it seems use of a hand is still required. I also have a web belt with some attachable pouches and canteens from "Saigon Sam's" local military "surplus" though much of their stuff isn't really surplus but China imports. That item is reserved for the beach and other day-time outdoor events. I don't like to wear so much GI Drab or camo that I look like some kind of nutty survivalist...
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

My Fossil bag is the Estate EW Messenger seen here:

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/men/bags/v ... 9201c.html
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Couya wrote:I don't usually make comments about photos here, whether because of the poor lighting or because the clothing is not what I like, but Jeff's pictures are always good and stylish and worth a compliment.

Martin
You should try a pencil skirt, even a knee-length denim one! You don't need to have Kim Kardashian's figure to pull it off, and there's plenty of room to walk hence the slit at the back :wink: I was skeptical about them, but absolutely love them, even the more formal ones. I have even got a skirt suit, but haven't worn it on dress down Friday yet :roll: