Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
john62
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 am
Location: Australia

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by john62 »

It is probably sugar that is the problem, sugar stimulates our stress system which stimulates the adrenal hormones that then mess the other hormones up such as growth hormone.

John
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3002
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Fred in Skirts »

john62 wrote:It is probably sugar that is the problem, sugar stimulates our stress system which stimulates the adrenal hormones that then mess the other hormones up such as growth hormone. John


I don't think it is the sugar as such but the increase in the use of growth hormones in chickens and cows. :twisted: These hormones are still present in the food we buy and do have an adverse affect on us humans when we eat the treated animals. We are much taller now than we were in the 1910's. Also a lot larger in girth. Looking at some old civil war uniforms and clothes from the 1800's to now there is a steady growth in hight but since the 1950's it looks more like a large spurt . :lol:

Fred :kiltdance:
Fred :kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."


"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4271
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Sinned »

In the UK I noticed this summer that Matalan did two lengths in the vests on t'other aisle. I bought the longer style. Maybe others have too as I can't think that they would be the only ones.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: southern New Hampshire

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I have had a few very nice compliments about my women's shirts this summer. One interesting thing about this is that folks seem to comment more on the shirt than on the skirt!

At a family reunion a cousin said "Wow - that is a really great shirt!" -- I wore a thin, colorful floral top, with no collar, neck opening large enough to show a pearl necklace, sleeves with fasteners that kept them rolled up just above the elbow. My response to him was, "Thanks -- it's a lot more fun shopping on the women's side of the store!" That led to a conversation in which I explained what "freestyle fashion" was, that I was not a crossdresser, and the whole "skirts = comfort" argument.

Another person was gazing intently at my chest, I noticed her, and she said "I was just looking at your buttons -- that's a women's shirt? It's a nice look." And I said just about the same thing: that guys should try shopping on the other side of the aisle as men's clothes are mostly very boring.

A male server behind a breakfast buffet line said "you the man -- that shirt! Where did you get that? I'd like one of those!"

I hardly ever get a compliment or comment about a men's shirt, unless it's a T-shirt with some interesting graphic. Women's shirts get noticed, maybe because they're more at eye level than skirts. Or maybe if folks do notice the skirt, they don't want to remark about it.

------Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5031
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Another person was gazing intently at my chest, I noticed her, and she said "I was just looking at your buttons -- that's a women's shirt? It's a nice look." And I said just about the same thing: that guys should try shopping on the other side of the aisle as men's clothes are mostly very boring.

A male server behind a breakfast buffet line said "you the man -- that shirt! Where did you get that? I'd like one of those!"
Usually it's the men that are staring at the women's chest.... guess it must be the shirts...

Must have been a helluva top to get that kind of a reaction!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5031
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

This got me a few interesting looks today.... pushed the envelope on my comfort zone a little but I enjoyed myself all the same. The spaghetti straps are very nice in the August heat!

Image

Sadly... that is the last time any of you will see me in those sunglasses.....
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN USA

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by r.m.anderson »

Yes the reverse button placket does reveal something odd - how do you button those things - in a mirror LOL !
And then those micro small petite pearly buttons - how do you button those - I need to have something an inch or more in diameter.
And then on some finer fashions the buttons are hidden underneath a fold in the placket.
And then again the button(s) at the collar are just show and tell like the faux pocket buttons .
Long sleeve shirt (blouse) those buttons are not buttoning over those popeye arms and if made in China the full length is a 3/4s off the shoulder.
Ever notice on some of those finer fashions the darts in the bust to accentuate what else and tailor tucked seams in the back - did I say tucked well
that is fruitless effort. For all intensive purposes the hem line ends at exactly the waist - tucking is a no can do !

If buying a blouse off of ebay there is a host of measurements to insure the fitting will actual fit in at least one dimension !

Of course you could get something on the +PLUS+ other side of the aisle but then what did you go to the tent sale for ?
May as well wear a frilly ruffled tuxedo shirt !
I like women's polo shirts - just need to get the XL or 2XL sizes for the casual male wear !
Care must be taken with the fine sheer single stitch fabrics - flex a muscle and pop pop rip and tear a new arm hole or other new entry.

And YES some women's shirts (blouses) do wonders for the male physic - that million dollar look !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3002
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Really nice outfit Moon. I like the top it is made for the skirt. Sorry to hear about the los of the sun glasses.

Fred :kiltdance:
Fred :kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."


"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5031
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks Fred! It was definitely an attention grabber!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by skirtyscot »

Ouch! To me, that top is just wrong on a man. It is intended to draw attention to the cleavage, which you ain't got. What it does do is draw attention to your nipples, which is kind of weird.

Most of your tops from the women's department are fine; you have developed a coherent style. You push the boundaries more than most of us do, which is OK. But not this one. It's not quantitative - a step too far down the road to femininity - but qualitative.

:hide:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5031
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

I can certainly understand this outfit not being something many here would wear, it does clearly move into highly feminine territory, yet is clearly being worn by a man- which does contribute to the "weird" element, I'll grant you that. Then again, I am a weird fella. So the shoe fits.

Spaghetti straps do have shock value when worn on a man. Nobody is used to seeing them on a guy. While just about everything women wear today was once men's fashion at some point in history, from skirts, to dresses, to heels, and even lace, I believe the spaghetti strap has always been women's domain- and a somewhat modern style at that. I may be wrong here, but I don't recall any historical photo's of women, or men for that matter wearing them.

However, that said, this isn't one of those outfits I only tried on in the mirror like the white dress. No, it had it's day out and about in the world at large, and I seemed to get the usual reaction. A few strange looks, but mostly people were polite, a few smiled, and greeted me as though it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. No torches and pitchforks, and the horses stayed in the barn.

It's not something I'm going to wear often. Definitely nothing I'd wear to anything I wanted to "dress up" for, then again even with women, these type of tops are normally just for "fun weekends", highly casual and laid back. In fact, it may be a once a year thing, just when the mood strikes, but I'm going to keep it, if for no other reason, it's just so danged comfortable! :D
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:56 am
Location: San Francisco, CA USA

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by skirted_in_SF »

r.m.anderson wrote:Yes the reverse button placket does reveal something odd - how do you button those things - in a mirror LOL !
No, actually it becomes second nature after a short while. All my shirts button that way, they just fit me better (as well as coming in more interesting colors).
r.m.anderson wrote:And then those micro small petite pearly buttons - how do you button those - I need to have something an inch or more in diameter.
And then on some finer fashions the buttons are hidden underneath a fold in the placket.
Now you're showing you geezerhood Mr. Anderson. I'm beginning to have that problem myself. :D
r.m.anderson wrote:And then again the button(s) at the collar are just show and tell like the faux pocket buttons .
Long sleeve shirt (blouse) those buttons are not buttoning over those popeye arms and if made in China the full length is a 3/4s off the shoulder.
Ever notice on some of those finer fashions the darts in the bust to accentuate what else and tailor tucked seams in the back - did I say tucked well
that is fruitless effort. For all intensive purposes the hem line ends at exactly the waist - tucking is a no can do !

If buying a blouse off of ebay there is a host of measurements to insure the fitting will actual fit in at least one dimension !

Of course you could get something on the +PLUS+ other side of the aisle but then what did you go to the tent sale for ?
May as well wear a frilly ruffled tuxedo shirt !
I like women's polo shirts - just need to get the XL or 2XL sizes for the casual male wear !
Care must be taken with the fine sheer single stitch fabrics - flex a muscle and pop pop rip and tear a new arm hole or other new entry.

And YES some women's shirts (blouses) do wonders for the male physic - that million dollar look !
I guess I'm a lot smaller than you plus I buy everything from an American brand store who source their goods from various eastern countries to fit western people.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
User avatar
Couya
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Couya »

Not too keen on that top, Moon; it's not the straps, but the lacy bits. Does the lace go up over your shoulders or is that just a lack of tan on the parts that had not seen the sun?

Martin
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11663
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Spaghetti straps do have shock value when worn on a man. Nobody is used to seeing them on a guy. While just about everything women wear today was once men's fashion at some point in history, from skirts, to dresses, to heels, and even lace, I believe the spaghetti strap has always been women's domain- and a somewhat modern style at that. I may be wrong here, but I don't recall any historical photo's of women, or men for that matter wearing them.
I'm not sure that the sleeveless look was ever worn by guys. Women's dresses sometimes had very short sleeved on them, frequently nothing more than a puff, and women frequently had clothes with shorter sleeves than men did. See imagery from the Regency era for examples.

Sleeveless stuff has existed for men for a long time, but was always relegated to underwear status until fairly recently -- and then only in fairly ratty settings. I do not believe that any male fashion included spaghetti-straps.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
JennC03
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by JennC03 »

Couya wrote:Not too keen on that top, Moon; it's not the straps, but the lacy bits. Does the lace go up over your shoulders or is that just a lack of tan on the parts that had not seen the sun?

Martin

Those are tan lines. The Lace only goes on the V Shape where it's at on his shirt.
¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆Have a wonderful day! ☆•*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* * It's good to look at those we love with fresh eyes whenever we can to remind us how lucky we are to have their light in our lives.
Post Reply