Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: I do not believe that any male fashion included spaghetti-straps.
That's what I thought. Oh well, women have been stealing our fashion ideas for centuries.... I guess I've turned the tables.

Knowing that I was pushing the envelope a bit, in such an outfit, I'm certain I was coming off less as a "man in a skirt", and more like a failing amateur transgender woman. I naturally was very aware of my surroundings that day. Not really nervous or apprehensive, just aware that I am indeed pushing my boundaries and getting slightly out of my comfort zone.

As such, I got the usual reaction, the same ones I got when I first started wearing skirts. Most women don't seem to mind, and I make men uncomfortable.

You know.... the usual yada yada...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But again, I'll recognize that the look did little to promote the "cause" we represent here (men in skirts). I'll admit it was more a choice of personal style. I even considered not posting the photo here given the theme of the site, however as I'm such a active poster here, and I consider many of you my circle of online friends, I like to share bits of my life, even if I'm wearing something that really doesn't fit the theme of the site.

But I did post it, mainly for the same reason I post pictures of bridges and rocks, that being, just sharing another day in the life of Moon Shadow with my friends here at Skirt Cafe. :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

And I for one enjoy seeing what the Moon has been doing in his spare time away from work and it's distractions. :) Keep up the posts I don't think any one here is upset with them. :rofl: :hide:
In fact the top I am wearing right now has spaghetti-straps. :doh:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Spaghetti strap tops definitely are NOT my cup of tea. I don't want my bra straps to show (DD cup).

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JohnH wrote:Spaghetti strap tops definitely are NOT my cup of tea. I don't want my bra straps to show (DD cup).

John
I've noticed women who wear them also shows their bra straps. I think it looks tacky. If it were me, I'd wear one or the other. Then again, not wearing a bra would make nipples show through. At the end of the day though.... to each his, or her own. Who am I to judge? 8)
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I've noticed women who wear them also shows their bra straps. I think it looks tacky.
It used to be considered quite gauche, but in the modern "do as you will" laissez-faire mentality of women it seems to have become perfectly acceptable. Uh, ladies, there's a reason why strapless bras were invented.

The same used to be said of wearing heels with dungarees, look at it nowadays. I still think that looks tacky and cheap.

Oh, well. I think most folks have simply forgotten how to dress nicely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Can't be bothered more like Carl. Only the older ladies seem to have any idea. And they would not be seen dead with a tattoo and face furniture. Different generation- tacky.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gregg1100 wrote:Only the older ladies seem to have any idea. And they would not be seen dead with a tattoo and face furniture.
This just makes them more attractive than the younger set, which is OK.

The sad part is that women that are "age-appropriate" to me seem to be tracking the younger set. Oh, well. It's not like I'm "on the market" anyway. (Too dangerous, and the risk/reward ratio just isn't worth it.)

I'm looking forward to the day when tattoos go out of style. At that time, whoever comes up with a way to erase them safely, permanently, and painlessly is going to make so much money that he'll make Bill Gates look like a pauper. I'm going to laugh like a hyena.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...I'm looking forward to the day when tattoos go out of style. At that time, whoever comes up with a way to erase them safely, permanently, and painlessly is going to make so much money that he'll make Bill Gates look like a pauper. I'm going to laugh like a hyena.
Well, OK, but I still enjoy mine. Here's about a third of it.
BackPiece_sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Well, Carl, I'm already laughing at your comment about tattoos. I will surely laugh more when that time comes and I needn't enrich that lucky bastard.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, times they do change... I'd say if we had a time machine zap someone from the mid 1800's to the present day, they'd think everybody looked pretty silly.

You can tell who the old geezers are here though.... 8) :lol: 8)

*in a scraggly voice*... "back in my day.... by George we dressed with class... we didn't show skin..... girls were respectable.... men worked hard.... a gallon of gas was 15 cents....and we walked 20 miles in the snow to our one room school house....."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J/K guys.... come on... had to swing back.... strike a blow for the 30 somethings on the board... :twisted: :wink:

:hide:
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hum, missed the tattoo part of the thread. The last comment I saw was Greg's. Oh well... my joke still stands...

I admit to having no tattoos though.... or piercings.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Well, OK, but I still enjoy mine. Here's about a third of it.
That's a marvelous tableau, sir, and quite different from what one usually sees which tends to either be arse-antlers (on women, mainly), concentration-camp numbers (the gods alone know why), or assorted bits of text or other fanciful bits.

What you've got represents a serious effort in time, pain, and money, and cannot be viewed in the same light as the comparatively minor scars that the masses do to themselves nowadays. There's art and there's visual noise. What I don't like is visual noise. It stresses the filters.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

MS, I got a chuckle out of that joke, though I think the distance to school got inflated :)

I admit to agreeing with the opinion that sleeveless on men isn't an especially becoming look. And no, you can't claim that I'm an old geezer, either :twisted:
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] ....and we walked 20 miles in the snow to our one room school house....."
You left out the part about it being uphill both ways. :twisted:
had to swing back.... strike a blow for the 30 somethings on the board... :twisted: :wink:
Come back at the ones of us who remain when you're 50. {snicker}